• Yes, I have made my bars higher.

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering how many people have their handlebars at stock height or are using risers or higher handlebars. I searched but didn't find a poll. I just got my Wee and after getting a back ache after a 50 mile ride I put the 1.2 inch risers that were on my XT225 on the Wee. That does seem to help a bit. I do think my back also needs to get stronger. Hopefully riding the bike will do that.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I use SW-Motech Up-Back risers with stock bars, been considering changing the bars to a different sweep...

I have a suggestion on the poll to add a few options...

-Stock bars at stock height
-Risers stock bars
-No risers but taller bars
-Risers and different and or taller bars

You could even differentiate between the few different types of risers...but then the results might get a little more skewed...

My .02 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Stock risers. MSR ATV High bars. 6'3" and 34" inseam.

Previously - 1" risers w/ stock bars - bend didn't suit me
- 1" risers w/ MSR ATV low bars - height ok, too far forward

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The stock grip angle is crap, but the height is fine and the lean is very mild with my long arms. I have no need to sit straight up and fight the wind, the strom is already a standard riding position. I lean into the wind, let the stomach muscles work a little and get the weight off my tail bone. But, I very seldom stand up while riding, the strom is a road bike to me. I had 4" risers on my KTM 950A though, it felt like the right thing to do on that bike.. :green_lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stock now but Genmar risers on the way.

If that doesn't help then its handlebar time.

And 'back' issues on a bike can be hard to diagnose ... what works
for one rider may not work for you.

I found simply going from a heavy cruiser to the light Vee already
helped ... then from stock Vee seat to a used Corbin helped more ...
then added Rich's peg relocators and that helped too.

Overall difference? 20 minutes on the cruiser versus 2 hours on the Vee ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put Ricks peg lowering kit on my 2013 DL650 and they helped a lot. I'm 5"11", 31 " inseam, longer upper body. Lowering the pegs changed the knee angle which also changed the bend in the lower back. I put several hundred more miles on the bike in this configuration and felt that was all I needed. I also played with the stock position of the bars to change the angle.

So like most of us, searching for the best riding position, this winter I put on a set of 1" bar risers, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike, just sit on so I'll have to wait until spring to see if they were worth the investment. I've also ordered a new Corbin seat as the stock seat doesn't fit my butt.

As you'll see some changes help some riders and others don't. It's just a matter of experimenting a bit to find what works for you.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Stock bars and Rox risers. The reach and seating position are good, but the angle with the stock bars is hard on the wrists. I'm probably going to put on the MSR ATV bars, minus the Rox risers, as the angle is much better than stock. I may also investigate the ProTaper SE bars on stock risers. Having a decent seat helps with the back as well. My Russell Daylong is great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Risers 3/4 inch up and back with ATV low bars. Seems to work for me. Also have gel seat with Beadrider attached which helps with the back and monkey butt. Do want to maybe put the peg lowering kit on at some point as in the last 3-4 hour ride my left knee was in pain. But did add backrest and highway pegs after that ride which has helped tremendously.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Stock bars. 1" up 1" back risers. Sargent seat. Ricks peg lowering kit. I'm 6'1", 34" reach and 33"-34" inseam.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Risers 3/4 inch up and back with ATV low bars. Seems to work for me. Also have gel seat with Beadrider attached which helps with the back and monkey butt. Do want to maybe put the peg lowering kit on at some point as in the last 3-4 hour ride my left knee was in pain. But did add backrest and highway pegs after that ride which has helped tremendously.
What backrest do you have? A backrest might be what I need. On my cruisers I always used a backrest.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I rode a Strom that had up-and-back risers, absolutely hated it. If anything I'd like the grips a touch down and forward.

·
Registered
714 Posts
To each his own.....

Handlebar preference, just like seats, wind screens, oil, and the ever popular chain lube, is just like discussing women, politics, and religion. Everyone has their own preference....

For me, I prefer a forward and down position, much like Desmond has stated, so I rode with the stock bars and no risers for years. But I always had a problem with my hands/arms tingling and thought it was a vibration problem....... One day I went to Cycle Gear for an oil and filter, and noticed that the Fly brand of ATV High bars sell for $20. So figured WTF, I'll try them.

Mounting was simple and painless, no cable or line extensions were necessary, and all I had to do was Dremel off the stupid plastic tit under the turn signal housing. All-in-all, a 10 minute deal.

The difference was night and day. The ATV High bars are about the same height as the stockers, but slightly wider. More importantly, the sweep is a lot less and the bars are much flatter. The result for me, no more numb arms and hands! And the swanky cross bar pad looks oh so stylish so the girls tell me!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
it depends

your need depends on your torso height and arm length

I am 5'-10", 30" pant inseam, and found the P.O.'s risers up and back to be uncomfortable, and removed them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts