StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Garmin 330 bounce out of the Ram mount after hitting a bump on the highway. Didn't even bother trying to stop to retrieve the unit. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just had my Garmin 330 bounce out of the Ram mount after hitting a bump on the highway. Didn't even bother trying to stop to retrieve the unit. Anyone else have this happen?
I have the 330c and have watched for that possibility. I have thought of putting a piece of duct tape on the holder. Yes, Red green would be proud.:thumbup:
Thanks for relating your experience I will watch it closer.
Mike

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
does the ram mount you use have the small ball that attaches directly to the back of the gps? Due to my Nuvi 750 not being waterproof, I use an Aquabox which has a larger ball and socket joint. I totally trust my mount.

·
Administrator
13,333 Posts
What actually letgo? Did the bracket for the gps break or did the RAM mount let go at one of the balls?

I have hundreds of hours of flying my ultralight with a few hundred rough field landings. A couple of hundred thousand kms on my car and 90,000 km on my bike without the ram mount failing while carrying my Garmin 60Cx.

Now, from flying I have been in the habit of securing anything with a safety strap (open cockpit pusher prop. Lose things can be fatal) but it was never needed.

..Tom

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a TomTom XL in bracket on a ball mount. I have a strip of heavy duty velcro on the top of the TomTom that secures to the inside top of the bracket. In a year and half, it has never come loose. I use the same velcro to mount my garage door opener to the inside lip of the cowling. Give it a try.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mount is intact, nothing broke. The GPS unit literally bounced out of the RAM bracket (GPS specific mount), even though it was snapped in. Next GPS will be tethered!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have taken my StreetPilot 2820 (about the size of a brick and almost as heavy) through some pretty rough terrain and never had a problem with the RAM mount. Water crossings, gravel, rutted trails, semi-dry river beds... even when I hit some deep mud and augured in at about 20 mph, the GPS stayed put right where it should.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The Nuvi 550 motorcycle mount is significantly different than the car mount that came with the GPS. It grabs the GPS on all 4 sides and clamps in place. The ball is attached to the mount with nylocks and bolts. The crappy car mount would not hold on a bike. Not sure if you are using a bike specfic mount or not...sounds more like a car mount with a pop in plastic ball.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The top of my RAM mount, where the gps (a Garmin 60CSx hand-held) snaps-in has cracked... I'm currently using an elastic band to keep the gps in in the cradle.

I guess I will be looking for another mount soon... preferably something more sturdy. I use the RAM on my XR also and it gets bounced around a lot on that bike.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The mount is intact, nothing broke. The GPS unit literally bounced out of the RAM bracket (GPS specific mount), even though it was snapped in. Next GPS will be tethered!
I bought the Garmin motorcycle cradle for the Nuvi 500, but "Idiot Ropes" [what they are called in the Army) aren't a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I bought the Garmin motorcycle cradle for the Nuvi 500, but "Idiot Ropes" [what they are called in the Army) aren't a bad idea.
I don't see anywhere on the Nuvi 550 to tether it. I'd have to drill a hole and then that whole waterproof aspect goes out the window. I have been using a heavy rubber band around one edge and the cradle as a safety. If anyone has a better way to tether a 550 I'd be happy to hear about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The top of my RAM mount, where the gps (a Garmin 60CSx hand-held) snaps-in has cracked... I'm currently using an elastic band to keep the gps in in the cradle.

I guess I will be looking for another mount soon... preferably something more sturdy. I use the RAM on my XR also and it gets bounced around a lot on that bike.

- Martin
I actually have trouble removing my 60csx from the RAM. I usually have to struggle a bit before I can snap it out. The mount is new, but seems very secure and sturdy to me. On the csx the belt mount knob snaps into a hole on the holder. Other models might not fit as well.

·
Administrator
13,333 Posts
I actually have trouble removing my 60csx from the RAM. I usually have to struggle a bit before I can snap it out. The mount is new, but seems very secure and sturdy to me. On the csx the belt mount knob snaps into a hole on the holder. Other models might not fit as well.
The secret, I found, is to press on the back of the arm that reaches to the top of the mount while you lift out the 60 This moves the locking part enough to release it.

..Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts

- Martin
My 60C RAM mount broke just like Martin is describing. Gps is always thethered on the Wee, quad or the sled. It actually broke while I was setting the gps in the craddle, but I just feel better having a backup hanging onto it. Good idea to check this particular craddle periodically.

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ram mount for a 60cx, been using for 4 years plus, still not broke; using on and off road. pulled in and out of the cradle many time. But, I expect that it will eventually break pulling it out of the cradle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts