StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 07 wee. It's got 10k miles on it and what looks to be the original trailwings. When I looked close at the tires it looked like there was some dry rot. It only seems to be in between the tread blocks. There are no cracks along the side wall. Since then I read a bunch of the tire threads and I've seen it mentioned that cracks in between the large block treads are pretty common.

So now I'm not sure if it's dry rot or normal cracks. I took some pics so I'm hoping some of you guys would weigh in on it.

Do you think these tires need to be replaced.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
I would..........

·
Registered
157 Posts
Many on this site would not replace them, but I would.

What are the born on dates on these tires (in weeks and years, 4 digits)?

BTW, your nails need clipping... :weapons_6:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many on this site would not replace them, but I would.

What are the born on dates on these tires (in weeks and years, 4 digits)?

BTW, your nails need clipping... :weapons_6:
Not sure of the date. I'll look tomorrow.

Those are my wife's nails.

I can't photograph and hold the penny!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure of the date. I'll look tomorrow.

Those are my wife's nails.

I can't photograph and hold the penny!
I figured that they were (too much maintenance for a man); just trying to give you some friendly grief...

My front tire (born on week 28 of 2008 ) on a 2009 Wee has some cracking in between the tread, but not as bad as yours. I do plan on replacing it next season, as there is still plenty of tread depth left. Your tread depth is getting low. But some ride until they start seeing wear bars, so to each his own.

Based on many previous posts, external dry rot seems to be 'normal' for the OEM tires.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured that they were (too much maintenance for a man); just trying to give you some friendly grief...

My front tire (born on week 28 of 2008) on a 2009 Wee has some cracking in between the threads, but not as bad as yours. I do plan on replacing it next season, as there is still plenty of thread depth left. Your tread depth is getting low. But some ride until they start seeing wear bars, so to each his own.

Based on many previous posts, external dry rot seems to be 'normal' for the OEM tires.
Hmmm..ok so it sounds like they aren't too bad then. I guess I gotta look a bit closer so I can see what the wear bars are.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
Hmmm..ok so it sounds like they aren't too bad then. I guess I gotta look a bit closer so I can see what the wear bars are.
I have "never" had a set of tires look like that.........don't be a tight wad, go get some new rubber and be done with it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big B you are talking to the King Of the Tight Wads.....I just loathe to spend money on new tires if they would still be considered "safe"

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd replace them too, after I wore them out :hurray:

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
If you can possibly afford new tires then I suggest you have waited long enough. But, if the money is tight, then riding on them is the only option left. But, for sure, avoid wet roads.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can possibly afford new tires then I suggest you have waited long enough. But, if the money is tight, then riding on them is the only option left. But, for sure, avoid wet roads.
Avoid wet roads in South Carolina....not gonna happen. I guess I better get over to Murphs for some Shinkos. Thanks for the advice guys...It's much appreciated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Avoid wet roads in South Carolina....not gonna happen. I guess I better get over to Murphs for some Shinkos. Thanks for the advice guys...It's much appreciated.
If you're gonna put those junky tires on it, then you're better off with what you have!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If I bought a bike with tires like that, I'd immediataly order new ones. In the meantime, I'd accel and brake to burn the hell out of them to get the feel of the bike.

That's what I do when when I feel there's 1K miles or less in the tires that are presently on. It's a good way to keep in touch with traction limits.

·
Registered
249 Posts
sure, go ahead and ride them until the cord shows. Then, mount a new set. But, do me a favor and take a razor knife and cut a patch out of the middle and tell us how much tire was left between the air inside the tire and the air outside the tire. Perhaps you will change the tires more frequently after that.

Steve

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would not leave home on them without good walking shoes and my cell phone.

·
Registered
285 Posts
a set of tires is cheaper than replacing the tank if they let loose in a corner.

ride safe..
joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts