StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go ...My wee runs like a rapped ape. Great on the road and with a 16t front sprocket it will rock on the highway. I get a kick out of the you tube videos I see with some moron trying to climb up a rocky slope in Colorado or on a trail a 12,000 feet and this bike ends up taking a snooze on the ground. (DID I MENTION I REALLY LOVE THIS BIKE) This bike is a fat toad...a big cow..or what ever else comes to mind. This bike was built because the Suzuki sales of the naked sv650 and there full faring sport bike were very poor. There timing was off...the dualsport revolution had taken off and they were left behind so presto the (Fat toad)...with all the sv650 motors they had.Lets face it would anybody build a supposedly semi off road bike with a oil cooler thats pretty much on the ground? ( DID I MENTION I REALLY LOVE THIS BIKE) Sure you can by all types off googies for this (FAT TOAD) to look like your a real tough guy off road warrior....panniers this and crashbars that. Ok the bottom line...if you really want a Dualsport bike lets be real we all know you have to go to a XR 650l...DR650...KTM 450 or WR250R... But the (FAT TOAD) I dont think so...Oh DID I MENTION I LOVE THIS BIKE ...Yes but for what its really meant for ...Ok bring on the whipping ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Plenty of people use this bike off road with success and just because you choose not to or cant does not make Suzuki wrong in the marketing it has done since the bike was introduced or make the customers that bought it and used it as a dual sport wrong either. I am glad you mentioned you love the bike since the rest of your post would make it seem you were some troll from the competitions marketing department.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I agree. Rode and raced dirt bikes for 20 years. Now after near 5 years of Strom ownership and 3000 miles(Out of 60,000K total) of dirt I'm tired of fighting this beast in anything but ideal dirt conditions. Gravel roads OK. The rest I'll leave to my DR350.
Heres a ride I "attempted" 4 years ago and turned around after dropping it (Took 20 min. to get it back up). Breezed thru it with the DR.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/northwest/67126-colockum-pass-area-w-ti.html

·
Administrator
17,239 Posts
No...................

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Cuppla points:
Suzuki sell Stroms by the ship load. Wish my marketing was as bad!!

Semantics: Are you confusing enduro?

Saturn 5.....flying high!

·
Administrator
17,239 Posts
Cuppla points:
Suzuki sell Stroms by the ship load. Wish my marketing was as bad!!

Semantics: Are you confusing enduro?

Saturn 5.....flying high!
Their sales on the Stroms are/were never that good compared to the other models. It sure as hell aint an enduro, it is a hybrid adventure touring bike.......plain and simple.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Maybe its not the instrument

No I would not single track my Vee but I don't stop when the road turns to dirt either.

I have accidentally ended up in real rocks and water to the pegs and so far so good.

IF you were thinking dual sport then you did screw up buying the DL

There are many places in the world where good dirt roads are the highways and both DL's do fine

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Stroms have a great following here and Europe and have been successful in crossing all the tough outback tracks in Oz. Depends on the rider does it not? Just the same its not an enduros hind leg but an Adventure/Dualsport description is fine by me. It's pretty obvious that a 200kg/440lb bike with 60h.p. ain't gonna climb mountains!

·
Registered
900 Posts
You need to decide just how your "Dualsport" will be used, then get the one that fits that role. For example, I also have a DRZ400s. Also a "Dualsport", but you won't catch me riding it on I-80 very far with my camp gear. Mizerable on the road. In fact it is mizerable doing anything but connecting the dots. But I know some who have rode them all over, on long distance rides. I bought the DRZ for a 80%+ dirt role, I bought the Wee for an 80%+ street role. Do I mix the inbetween, you bet, and both are competant there.
So just like tires, buy what works for what you will do.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
With a 19 inch front wheel, some suspension travel and wide handle bars it has some versatility. No it's not a dualsport. Does okay on hard surfaces but yeah it is pretty limited. You don't have to stop when the pavement ends but you have to stay out of the rough stuff.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
It's a Hypo Motard.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know dual sports. A dual sport was a friend of mine. The V-Strom is no dual sport.

2007 DR650SE; 17K flawless miles.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Well it certainly is not a duel sport in the sense the other bikes that you listed with it. Just like those bikes are not true dirt bikes. But when the road turns to dirt or I want to see what is up that single track I can go take a look. On my CBR I would just pass it up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I dont know anything about the helmet, but your title dont fit the suject. I would change it to "AGV cl16= dualsport" or something simular.

As for DS helmets, I have had the XD3 and the Hornet. I liked the XD3 but it didnt fit very well and my face got wet in the rain. The Hornet is a great helmet for DS type bikes. At speed, both catch air with the bills and can jerk your head around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For me the answer is yes:

Dualsport= All paved roads and forest service roads (i.e. dirt ROADS)

Enduro= most paved roads, FS roads and single track stuff that I can handle.

I look at the bike as more of a touring bike with the ability to go on dirt fairly well.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
The first time I dropped my Wee (luckily in my driveway), as I struggled to right the weighty beast, all illusions of care free off road adventures dissipated with my strength. Fun to ride off tarmac, but don't drop the beast! it ain't no KX 125¡

·
Registered
197 Posts
All Bikes are Duel Sport

I owned a 2-cycle 1969 350cc Kawasaki and presently own a 1974 Z900 Kawasaki. No one in their right mind would label those 2 bikes duel sport bikes. Yet, I used to take both bikes through dirt, gravel, mud, shallow creeks and even climb some semi-steep open pit mining hills.

I now also have a K7 Wee that, according to everything I've read on this site, I could also play in the mud but I refuse to do that because every time you drop it, the cost could be $100's.

So my conclusion is that the term "duel sport" is almost meaningless since ALMOST any bike can plow through mud and water. Now I have a REAL duel sport bike - - a 2005 Yamaha TT R 225. It goes anywhere and does not cost me $$$$$$ when I wreck.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I agree. Rode and raced dirt bikes for 20 years. Now after near 5 years of Strom ownership and 3000 miles(Out of 60,000K total) of dirt I'm tired of fighting this beast in anything but ideal dirt conditions. Gravel roads OK. The rest I'll leave to my DR350.
Heres a ride I "attempted" 4 years ago and turned around after dropping it (Took 20 min. to get it back up). Breezed thru it with the DR.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/northwest/67126-colockum-pass-area-w-ti.html
The scenery is great for the soul, another great ride. I'm very surprised you couldn't do this on a Wee-Strom.
Pictures never show the true difficulty but that is in no way a difficult ride on a Wee. As I have said before this bike is not an enduro bike but is underated in it's off road abilities. There was a post some 3/4 years ago on Adventure Riders when a group of I think 4 Wee-stroms crossed, unsupported, except for a fuel dump, the ...CANNING STOCK ROUTE. (Google it ) 1700kms of uninhabited Australian outback. Other adventures by Wee Stroms include the TANAMI TRACK and THE GUNBARREL HWY. Vast distances in mostly sand or rock. It is as capable as a good rider despite weight and suspension not enduro standard.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts