StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the akrapovic exhaust for my new 2012 vstrom 650 and I'm wondering if anybody has run without the powercomender and does the bike run fine or do you really need the PC-V. any befor and after advice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 09 ran alot better with one. Before it had the current map it would pop on decel. This has been argued to death. I am with the people that say it will run leaner then normal, with normal being lean already. Power commander will only help the bike run at its best. I am even going to have my biked mapped on a dyno this next summer. It's your bike, the decision is yours. Great thing is you can add the PCV after the exhaust if it runs like crap.

Adam

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also check out svracingparts.com Blair is a good guy, I bought both my PCV and M4 setup from him. He also has the akrapovic setup. I believe he has PCV maps for both. That will save you some $$ if you go that route.

Adam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Or you could just remap the stock ecu for a fraction of the cost. No PowerCommander really required unless you are wanted to change maps your self. Yes tuning the ECU on the dyno might cost a hourly rate but. this setup is a set it and forget it scenario. Install the Exhaust then have it tuned and mapped on the dyno..

·
Registered
128 Posts
agree with Adam.

It probably won't run like crap...and the placebo of the sound might lead some to believe it's either equal or better than stock.

Stock ECU + stock exhaust = stock a/f ratio
Stock ECU with changes to exhaust = lean = power loss
Changes to exhaust + ECU mods and good mapping = potential for power increase, and mpg decrease.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Exhaust

Have an Akrapovic heading my way to OZ at the moment.
According to Blair (SV) and the Akrapovic web site, it will fit on a 2012.
Went the Akrapovic way rather than Arrow because of the slip on muffler rather than a total one piece system.
Time will tell if it was the correct move.
VEE02

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have an Akrapovic heading my way to OZ at the moment.
According to Blair (SV) and the Akrapovic web site, it will fit on a 2012.
Went the Akrapovic way rather than Arrow because of the slip on muffler rather than a total one piece system.
Time will tell if it was the correct move.
VEE02

I have a2012 also and want the akra exhaust not sure about the pc yet so please post your experience when you get it and if you think the pc is necessary

·
Registered
305 Posts
When someone fits it to their 2012 I'd love to see a photo, because there doesn't seem to be any photos of the Akro on a 2012 anywhere else on the interweb.

I can't see how a slip on will work, there is no round piece of exhaust pipe to slip anything on to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Exhaust

Sorry pneumatic, I should of been a little more specific.
Hole system looks like it slips on to the header on the front cylinder and the rear cylinder outlet.
(Same as previous years exhaust, and if the frame is the same on the 2012 wee as previous years we should have a match).
Check out -
V-STROM 650 ABS - Akrapovi
VEE02

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ah yes, I see. It's more like a 3/4 system :)

The thing I like about the Arrow is it has a catalytic convertor. I don't think the Akro does, which would make it not legal for road use in Australia (or most countries). It says the Vstrom exhaust is not homologated.

From what I can see on their website, their homologated exhausts (EC approved) are slip-ons that are added after the stock bikes catalytic convertor. Only a very few of their full systems appear to be homologated, and they seem to have an optional catalytic converter piece (which is the same OD as the main pipe, so likely more restrictive than the stock large cross section catalytic converter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts