Votes: 36 34.0%
  • No, I just ride it and let someone else work on it

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
So far I have done all my own work on all my bikes including tire changing and balancing. I learn what I can from friends with more experience and then make up the rest as I go haha.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
I farmed out my initial 600 mile service to the local dealer. After that all service, maintenance, farkling, etc. has been done by me.

Tire changes are done with assistance from the wifey :thumbup:, who is really good at it despite being a non-motorcyclist. She did say after the last one in Sept that I might be getting a No Mar for Christmas. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
First bike was in 1963. Starting with a re-ring job in 1964, I have done all my own maintenance and rebuilds myself.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I think your results will be skewed to the "I do all my own maintenance" side. Who's gonna to crow about letting someone else work on their bike?

·
Super Moderator
12,977 Posts
I do minor stuff like oil changes, brake pads, lubig chain, some fluids etc. Have done stuff like change springs front and back, etc.

I have someone that does tires and sprockets/chains for me.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I do it all now, when I lived in NC I had a decent shop that would do valves and such. But, I don't have any trust worthy mechanics close to me now.

I've tried to like my local dealers but, they are pretty bad. Just parts changers. I can swap out parts myself, no need to pay $90 per hour for them to screw something up worse.

Took over three hours for the local Yamaha dealer to swap a FJR ECU! The dang thing is easy to get at! Had to sit and wait for a good 4 hours when I could have swapped it in under 1 hour. That moron won't be adjusting valves on my bikes.

Its amazing how expensive tire changes are now, I've been doing my own tires too. But, I some times will get them done, I hate changing tires. I cringe when paying over $100 for the labor and full retail for the tires too. Maybe I'm a cheap bastard.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,225 Posts
I think your results will be skewed to the "I do all my own maintenance" side. Who's gonna to crow about letting someone else work on their bike?
I will, its not my profession nor do I desire

I pay a professional who's business it is to turn wrenches

its better for me
its better for my bike
its better for the economy
and better for everyone all around

I don't pretend that it would save money to work on my own like so many do, it only saves you money if you consider yourself worthless (unless of course, your profession is being a mechanic)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I voted "some." I do oil changes. I've found a local shop who I'll trust with the larger pains-in-the-back. Bike's probably best off without me messing with it (and it's definitely best off without the dealer messing with it).

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I do it all. I didn't used to, but a bad experience has kept me from trusting shop mechanics. My bike and I are one. Next up: valve shims.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I started doing as much of my own maintenance as possible after I took my first bike to a respected shop for a tire change, went on a 250 mile ride on the BRP, and discovered afterwards the shop had forgotten to replace or had not torqued the front axle clamp - it was missing :yikes: As someone pointed out at the time, no one cares more about your bike or your safety than you.

PS The design of the front axle retention on the Honda was impressive. I could have probably ridden the bike for thousands of miles without the clamp with no problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I love my local Suzuki dealer. They are helpful, courteous and consult me on what is needed. They will continue to get my business while they remain so. I don't have the time at the moment to put into the bike for something like basic maintenance, so I am happy to pay them to do it.

However, I am making my own racks and panniers, but that is a project that I love as a hobby. When the kids leave home, I will have more time and will probably do my own servicing then.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I do normal maintenance, including tire change. I do not feel I have the skills to go playing around in the engine's guts yet. Maybe once I retire I'll take the time to learn. Right now, I take in GW and others wisdom.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do all my own maintenance because I enjoy wrenching, I have worked with "professional" mechanics and really didn't like what I observed, and when I have been forced to let a shop work on vehicles (warranty) they have to do the job multiple times before they get it right. I also have more time than money...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I do as much of my own work as possible. I don't automatically assume the shop will mess it up, I just like the feeling of accomplishment of doing it myself and taking the extra time to get things "just so". Tyres are about the only thing I've never done and am not really interested in getting set up to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts