StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody carry a Spot GPS locater on their V Strom? If you do, do you like it? Use it often? I just bought one to carry on my V Strom when I'm riding in wilderness areas, which I do quite often. I'll also carry it hunting and camping...TD

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have a one and a three, also use a 2 meter aprs tracker.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I to do a lot of solo riding and camping. I has given my wife great peace of mind that I can check in without cell coverage. I use the tracking option and wouldn't be without it. It's fun to go back and easily look at the trails I took and compare them to my maps. But, there have been times when it lost signal for an hour or two and that created nervousness on my wife's part. Now she know it may puke out for awhile at times. Hopefully not when it's needed.

The SPOTS website is terrible. I've created an account at SPOTWALLA and it's much better plus you can save tracks indefinitely.

SPOTS customer service has not been very good. My first SPOTS I bought specifically for a Big Bend trip and it worked at home before I left but wouldn't work when I flew into Texas. I tried to get them to overnight me one or give me a coupon to pick one up at a local dealer so I could have it and they wouldn't do it. Had to send it in under warranty, it was only 2 weeks old.

I wear mine on the shoulder strap of my backpack that way it is always with me should I exit the bike and not be able to get back to it.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
The only time it isn't on the bike cradle, is when I'm hiking. Turn it on most every time the bike is more than a couple miles from home.
A few years ago a biker in our area slid off the road and was pinned under it for 3 days before being found. This was in a very populated spot next to a freeway. If he had a Spot, even if it just was on tracking and he was knocked out, finding him would be easy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use mine for both on and off road trips and keep it on my backpack strap also. Remember to put it in Tracking Mode each time you turn it on. It should remember between trips, but I make sure. +1 on Spotwalla. However, I gave my wife and parents the URL to the Spot page because it is simpler and has a lower chance of getting messed up while I'm away. They just need to know where I'm at in real-time in case something happens.

To help rescuers, I edited my SOS to this:
Name: (my full name). Blood type: O Neg. DOB 12/24/xx. Motorcyclist. No allergies. Current medicines: Med1 and Med2, sometimes Aleve or Advil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I use mine all the time...I ride alone a lot....

Here's a story about why you should have one if you ride alone:

A few years ago a girl I worked with was riding alone...she didn't return home, and after a few hours they notified law enforcement..

Days, weeks, months went by....almost a year later someone was fishing in a creek on a rural road, and spotted a motorcycle under a small bridge, upon further investigation, the saw the remains of a person...it was her...

She had gone off the road in a ditch, and ended up partially under the bridge on a rural road...
I always wonder if she didn't die instantly if she layed there suffering, until she died, and would have lived if someone could have found her....

A great reason for owning a spot !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
She had gone off the road in a ditch, and ended up partially under the bridge on a rural road...
Under a bridge, the tracker might not have been able to hit the bird anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
When my son died (on the Strom), he'd blacked out from diabetes and ran off the road into the bush. His fellow riders searched for many hours but didn't find him. It was only that a passing ambulance saw tracks into the bush that caused them to stop, check, and find him on the same day. He was deceased but at least we had the opportunity to see him at the morgue and to say goodbye - and to later bury him.

A SPOT may have helped find him sooner.

I have a EPIRB but one needs to be conscious to activate it.

There was a similar case to that above where a rider was found near a favourite bike road (Putty Rd for Aussies). He as also been riding alone and disappeared 3 years earlier.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Starting at $50 a year AND I have to carry another device that's specifically dedicated just for tracking?
No thanks.

I'd rather just have Google Latitude back and have my cell phone do all that without the additional expense.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'd rather just have Google Latitude back and have my cell phone do all that without the additional expense.
I can (and do) ride for days in places where there is no cell coverage.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I always carry my spot. Most of my riding is alone and in canyons that don't have cell phone range. Best investment for me and a piece of mind for the wife.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, I had second thoughts about spending the money this close to Christmas. I feel better now, I spend a lot of time in the woods in the winter hunting and snowmobiling. It will be here tomorrow, now I need to learn how to use it. I'm not all that bright. :confused:.........TD

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Best investment for me and a piece of mind for the wife.
I've got a list of family and friends that get the tracking alert email when I send it out. It's more for them than me.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Currently running a Gen 2 in a Ram mount on my handlebars.
Had 2 Gen 1's, seem they don't like being ran over by ATV's :headbang:
Now looking at the Gen 3 and hinting that it would be nice for Santa to bring.
Like the fact it takes rechargeable batteries and external power.
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Now looking at the Gen 3 and hinting that it would be nice for Santa to bring.
Like the fact it takes rechargeable batteries and external power.
Mike
I'm liking the 3 very much.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Under a bridge, the tracker might not have been able to hit the bird anyway.
True, but if it was in track mode folks would have had a good start point from the last footprint.
My SPOT is mounted on my tank bag with its "net"sown to the top flap

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Currently running a Gen 2 in a Ram mount on my handlebars
So, if you end up a fair way from the bike, you may not be able to get back to it to activate the alarm - assuming it survived the crash. It may also not be anywhere near the bike.

I think in your pocket might be better

1 - 20 of 59 Posts