StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they thin plastic or do they offer protection in a fall as well? (I've only seen photos), and do I have to remove the weights at the ends to install them?

-T

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The OEM handguards are just plastic. They keep a lot of wind and rain off, bugs and rocks also. In a fall they would probably be junk, but for the cost they are very worthwhile.

You will have to remove the bar ends to install them since the kit comes with new spacers and bolts for the bar ends. It's a simple installation and takes about 15 minutes at most.

Just DO NOT completely unscrew the bolts from the bar ends or it may turn into a couple of hours trying to fish them out. Just loosen them a turn or two, tap the end of your screwdriver to loosen the bushing washer, and they will pull out of the bars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You do have to remove and reinstall the bar ends to install the "knuckle guards". The install goes pretty well, as long as you don't lose the end nut down the handlebar. Don't ask me how I know this.

Now, since all riders have all either gone down, or are about to go down, I will admit that I dropped my K7 Wee a few weeks ago on invisible ball bearing gravel. Evil stuff! My hands are totally unscathed, though the left elbow of my 'Stich Roadcrafter was shredded. No injuries, except to my pride. The guards worked just fine. The left one now has a very abraded hole in it, and the clutch lever is scratched. ATGATT! --Gene

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
You do have to remove and reinstall the bar ends to install the "knuckle guards". The install goes pretty well, as long as you don't lose the end nut down the handlebar. Don't ask me how I know this.

Now, since all riders have all either gone down, or are about to go down, I will admit that I dropped my K7 Wee a few weeks ago on invisible ball bearing gravel. Evil stuff! My hands are totally unscathed, though the left elbow of my 'Stich Roadcrafter was shredded. No injuries, except to my pride. The guards worked just fine. The left one now has a very abraded hole in it, and the clutch lever is scratched. ATGATT! --Gene

Explain why you have to remove them? I take my guards on and off all the time without removing them. As far as loosening the bolts too far goes....a metal hanger bent to a very tight hook, will pull the bolt/rubber grommet right out in seconds.

As for the guards breaking in a fall, mine broke easily. If you want both wind and protection, go with acrebis or cyrca brush guards.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
What is the cost, and did you get them from Suzuki?
The OEM set costs $50 (MSRP) and I did get them from the local dealer. One of the online Suzuki dealers might have them at a discount.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Explain why you have to remove them? I take my guards on and off all the time without removing them.
The guards are standard equipment on the 1000, optional on the 650.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The guards are standard equipment on the 1000, optional on the 650.
Sorry, Brian, I didn't see your question.

Like he said, the handguards are not standard on the 650 so the stock bar ends for the 650 do not have the groove on them for the handguards. The kit contains a grooved spacer and a longer bolt that has to be installed for the "Clip" on the end of the handguard to fit over.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Sorry, Brian, I didn't see your question.

Like he said, the handguards are not standard on the 650 so the stock bar ends for the 650 do not have the groove on them for the handguards. The kit contains a grooved spacer and a longer bolt that has to be installed for the "Clip" on the end of the handguard to fit over.
Thanks for the info Craig.....I knew they didn't come standard on the 650, but wasn't aware that the bar ends were different. Guess that would make a difference huh?;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as price goes, fifty bucks doesn't seem all that cheap. When I installed Maiher's (sp?) on my KLR they were only $25 and the UFO covers where an additional $30
That's $55.00 for wind protection AND "damage control".:p

Just a thought.

-T

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Brian, here is the difference between the stock and handguard bar ends. The stock end is just the billet part on the right. The handguard kit includes the grooved spacer for the handguards. It also includes some odd-shaped mounting bolts that take the place of the clutch and throttle pibot pins as well as longer bar end bolts.

I'd be interested to know if the 1000 bar ends look like this from the factory.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sixty bucks!?!?

I just checked with the local Suzuki dealer and they want 60 bucks (+tax) for the 650 guards.:eek: I'm going to go to a parts house (Zoom Cycles) tomorrow and see if I can find any good alternatives.

-T

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I just checked with the local Suzuki dealer and they want 60 bucks (+tax) for the 650 guards.:eek: I'm going to go to a parts house (Zoom Cycles) tomorrow and see if I can find any good alternatives.
Sounds like they are jacking the price up for some reason. The dealers around here sell everything at list price, and their price for the handguard kit is $49.95. Check This Link

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You have to remember that this is California, and the SF Bay Area no less.
Everything's expensive here.:p

With that online site you have to add shipping and handling, so perhaps the dealer is just trying to absorb that cost in their price.

-T

·
Registered
646 Posts
You have to remember that this is California, and the SF Bay Area no less.
Everything's expensive here.:p

With that online site you have to add shipping and handling, so perhaps the dealer is just trying to absorb that cost in their price.

-T
Got mine from Temecula Motorsports in CA. $49. Phone ordered, 800 phone number. You're getting "Hosed" by your Stealer!
Willie

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ordered a pair from a parts-house I've been using for years, for $45.00:-D

-T

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Brian, here is the difference between the stock and handguard bar ends. The stock end is just the billet part on the right. The handguard kit includes the grooved spacer for the handguards. It also includes some odd-shaped mounting bolts that take the place of the clutch and throttle pibot pins as well as longer bar end bolts.

I'd be interested to know if the 1000 bar ends look like this from the factory.

I think mine looked like that? Not really sure because I never mounted them back on after the new Pro Taper bars. I threw them in my parts bin drawer with all the other junk. I am gonna install the 02/03 handguards instead....don't need no stinkin barweights!;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts