StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a simple question.

Do OEM windscreens become "cloudy" over time?

The one on my '07 Wee was in very bad shape when I bought the bike (was very "cloudy" - since I bought the bike used (Charlotte) 2.5 years ago I have no idea why it clouded or how long it took to become cloudy). I've recently bought a pristine OEM Wee screen (completely clear), and I'm wondering how long I can expect it to remain nice and clear if I park the bike outside during (daytime) work hours (bike is garaged at night and most of the time on weekends).

Will the new screen start to become cloudy in a year? Two years? Three years? 10 years?

Thanks.

(I recently posed this question in the big windscreen thread, but I think nobody pays any attention to that thread unless they're interested in the buffeting issue - which I'm not. Got no replies...)

·
Registered
272 Posts
In the bright Florida Sun I notice most cars with plastic headlights start to turn white then yellow after about 7 years. Many clear polymers, like your eyes, turn white (milky) after years in the sun light.

Park the bike in the shade / garage and most friends bikes after 6 - 10 years show almost no whiteness...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I dont have much experience with the OEM windshield on the strom as I changed mine when I got the bike. But I can speak from some experience with my OWM BMW windshield. After a few years the windshield became very opaque and cloudy. Moisture had become trapped between the laminate layers of the windshield and in the humid climates the windshield would turn almost solid white, but parked in the sun for an hour or two and it would clear up.

As Harry mentioned, it could be that the windshield has been exposed to UV for an extended period of time and the polycarbonite is clouding, or it could be moisture. I would venture to state the obvious.. nothing lasts forever.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Just don't use a window cleaner with ammonia on the plastic. I use Plexus or Pledge and have no problems but the bike is garaged when not in use.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
All of mine have become cloudy after a while. That's what happens when you never wash off the accumulated bug guts and road crud.

Who cares? You look OVER it don't you?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of mine have become cloudy after a while. That's what happens when you never wash off the accumulated bug guts and road crud.

Who cares? You look OVER it don't you?
First, thanks to all for the comments.

And yes, you're right, especially at my height (6-4), I do look over it. Still, the old milky / cloudy / badly scratched one on my bike was by far the worst looking thing on the bike and that sort of bugged me. I finally got a nice clear one and wanted to know what to expect.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Another cheap solution to a scratched and cloudy windshield is to paint it to match the bike, kind of like an extended cowling. I partially blacked out mine to create a shaded area for better GPS viewing. Again, since I look over it there is no effect on road visibility. I may go ahead and paint the whole thing lime green like the bike, though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another cheap solution to a scratched and cloudy windshield is to paint it to match the bike, kind of like an extended cowling. I partially blacked out mine to create a shaded area for better GPS viewing...
Yeah, I read somewhere on here months ago or a year or two ago about some person who did that. And I thought about doing that too. In the end I did nothing, then a nice new clear screen became available and I got it. I'm satisfied, but I might have been either way.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and to post the photo (nice bike, by the way).

·
Registered
679 Posts
I painted mine. It wasn't cloudy, but had enough scratches and buff marks to give me the excuse I needed to black it out. I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black spray paint.

Before:

After:

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I painted mine. It wasn't cloudy, but had enough scratches and buff marks to give me the excuse I needed to black it out. I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black spray paint.
Wow. Looks nice. I might have done that if I'd known it could look that good.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Nice, but matching that burnt orange bike would be even better.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
No, the color of the bike. I love it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I painted mine. It wasn't cloudy, but had enough scratches and buff marks to give me the excuse I needed to black it out. I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black spray paint...
OK. I installed the nice clear one today and now I'm interested in painting my old one just like you did.

Do you remember what kind of surface prep (if any) you did prior to applying the Krylon? If you do I'd like to duplicate that - prep, paint type and all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I roughed up the rear of the screen with 3M (brown) and Scotch Brite (green) pads. Masked off the front and edges of the shield.

Sprayed 5 coats over a span of three afternoons, letting them dry overnight and thru the next day. Two coats each of the first two days, then the third on the last day. Each coat was lightly wet sanded with 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper. I did not sand the last coat, but did spray it with matte clear afterward.

No particular reason why I painted it like this, except I wanted to make sure the paint was completely dry and adhesed to the plastic. It's just the way I chose to do it.

I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black for plastic. Gloss black would have too much reflection. And didn't think flat black would come out as nice as satin. I think satin is easier to clean than flat. I'm satisfied with the job.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I got the idea to spray paint the stock shield from this thread... http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/67197-painted-oem-windshield-awesome.html

On page two I claimed that I was not comfortable with sanding the shield with Scotch Brite, but neglected to relate my change of mind after painting the first coat.

After the first coat I noticed a couple of small bubbles, possibly from leftover residue. After I sanded the bubbles I was afraid the sanding marks would create a different look from the rest of the shield. So I continued on and ended up sanding all of the rear of the shield, wiping off every bit of sanding dust with a clean cloth.

:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts