StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test-rode an 07 ABS with OEM heated grips installed, and running them on full for a while (15 minutes or so) they barely felt warm, especially the throttle side.

Is this atypical or do they just not get that hot? I'm used to my BMW ones, which are nicely toasty on low and freakin' toasty on high.

- Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like something isn't right. My buddy has them on his and he barely runs it above low and it's comfortable. I just installed a set of Kimpex heaters and man on low they can cook your hands, feels great!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Something must be wrong. I cannot possibly run mine on high. In the cold cold (below freezing), I set mine at around 3/4.

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
My Suzuki grips are quite toasty too.

The throttle side is definitely hotter than the left, though. I've had that explained to me as the throttle side is insulated by the plastic tube the grip rotates around, while the left side is contacting the metal of the bar directly, which absorbs a lot of the heat.

With JoeRocket gloves I can't turn the heat up more than 3/4ths or the throttle side just burns my hand.

The BMW gloves I have seem to insulate a lot better, and I can turn the heat up full. (Although as hot as that feels w/o the BMW gloves, I'm not sure it's healthy for the plastic shield on the throttle side!)

- BCB

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, because on the bike I rode (and bought, incidentally) the throttle was less warm than the left grip.

I did hear a rumor that the '07 grips are different than prior years, and perhaps they broke something with the "upgrade". Do any of you with plenty-hot grips have '07s?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
For the record, I notice no difference between right and left grip heat, though I have heard others complain of the phenomenon.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
For the record, I notice no difference between right and left grip heat, though I have heard others complain of the phenomenon.
Mine have a mind of their own. One or the other is hotter/cooler, and sometimes both of them are lukewarm. If we get another day above freezing, I'll install the voltmeter and find out if it's dependent on the charging system.

I bought a new controller, because that's likely where the problem is. They did work fine for about a year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been riding on mine for a couple days now. They're slow to warm up, and if I take my hand away from the bars they cool down pretty quickly it seems.

I did a chunk of freeway riding and they seemed to get hotter, so perhaps they are dependent on the charging system. Anyone know what the draw is?

Installed hand guards yesterday and it seemed to help with the cooling off. Ran them today at around 50-60% and almost forgot they were on. But full tilt got a bit too hot. I guess they'll do. Not up to the standards of my BMW though. Those are a superb set of heated grips.

- Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, and a 600 watt alternator. :-D
Mmmmm.....watts.....

But to return to the subject - I did an all-day ride with the grips today and they definitely work. With the knob on full it's plenty toasty with middle-weight gloves - probably around 80-90% of my BMW on high. If I back the knob down to about 70-80% they drop to much cooler - I notice they're on but they're not especially warm. At half power or lower I don't notice them at all.

Anybody know what these OEM grips draw, wattage-wise? Did I already ask that?

I think I did.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anybody know what these OEM grips draw, wattage-wise? Did I already ask that?

I think I did.
Somewhere close to 30 watts would be a fairly accurate estimate. That's what electric gloves draw and the heat output is similar. Hot Grips says 15-18 watts per grip for their brand.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Mine have a mind of their own. One or the other is hotter/cooler, and sometimes both of them are lukewarm. If we get another day above freezing, I'll install the voltmeter and find out if it's dependent on the charging system.

I bought a new controller, because that's likely where the problem is. They did work fine for about a year.
I wouldn't be surprised if the rheostat in these controllers is little cheesy. Mine never seem to give off the same heat at identical settings any two times. I can turn it down from high to 1/2 and it is like they are turned off. Back to high and down to 1/2 and it will be comfortable. The settings don't seem to be repeatable at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a week with the OEM grips in late December. Backpacking off a 2006 V-Strom 650. Temps were around 50 during the afternoon and mid-20s when I started each day. Average speed in the neighborhood of 55MPH. The grips were adequate, but just barely. I've never owned heated grips before, so I lack a basis for comparison.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the rheostat in these controllers is little cheesy.
It's probably an electronic modulator and some of them (like the Heat Troller) have been famously flakey. A rheostat should be more predictable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heaters on an '07 DL650??

I just test-rode an 07 ABS with OEM heated grips installed, and running them on full for a while (15 minutes or so) they barely felt warm, especially the throttle side.
Interesting... I just bought an '07 650 ABS today and while ordering hard luggage I spotted the OEM grip heaters in the Suzuki accessory catalog. What I found interesting is that the catalog indicated that the heated grips fit the '04-'06 DL650 and would not fit the '07.

Also interesting is that I found a set of identical grip heaters that are set up for a GL1800 Goldwing - same grips, same controller unit. The only difference that I could see was that the connectors are designed to be plug'n'play for the Wing and the harnesses are (probably) precut for a specific fit for the Wing (as were the Electrical Connection heaters I installed on my ex-Wing). Also interesting is that the set for the Wing were $68 compared to the OEM heaters at $140.

Anyone have a picture of the wiring harness for the OEM Suzuki heaters?

Howard

·
Registered
24 Posts
OEM Heate Grips

Sorry, don't have a pic of the harness.

I installed mine the day after I brought my 06 Wee home. PITA to find the connector behind the radiator, but once installed they seem to work well. Mine take a little time to heat up, but then they are quite warm at speed. I have to agree that the controller may be cheesey--will keep that in mind as I ride more.

So far I'm glad I've got them. Work better than the inexpensive bar wraps I had under the grips on my cruiser.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts