StromTrooper banner

Do not buy !!! (the frustrated buyer thread)

6K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  scrivens 
#1 ·

Looks Cool but not waterproof !!! We are specting more rain here in Sydney. I just bought "Dririder Hurricane Waterproof Rain Suit Black‏" any comments on this? hopefully will arrive before the rain stops

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
The "Cycle Gear" private brand "BILT" STORM supposedly waterproof boots are not waterproof. If you show them a picture of water spray.... they get wet like a high school girl at the prom!

Purchased and returned a couple weeks later. Return was hassle free, but I would have loved the boot to actually be waterproof!

Light rain, 23 mile ride to work, no standing water, just light mist from front tire.

#13 ·
Looks Cool but not waterproof !!! We are specting more rain here in Sydney. I just bought "Dririder Hurricane Waterproof Rain Suit Black‏" any comments on this? hopefully will arrive before the rain stops
They don't look tall enough to be waterproof.

#15 ·
BMW Allround boots is definitely waterproof with real gore-tex and very very easy to walk in from day one - 40,000kms later, still performs like it was new. It's not the most warmth insulating boots- your feet does get a bit cold at temp less than 10c, but this means the boots can be worn at 30c without too much sweat either.

Best thing is, even though it's got a BMW tag on it, it retails for $320 rrp, not too bad.

#16 ·
My Alpinestar Web Goretex boots have proven to be waterproof. I don't know how the boots in the picture could realistically keep you feet dry even if they were completely wateroproof.. they are much too short and water is bound to get in over the top.

..Tom

#19 ·
My Sidi Strada Rain / Sidi Strada Tepor Evo / whatever the **** you call them are also NOT waterproof.

This pair is ~1 year old (warranty replacement from a pair with a busted zipper) and both leak around the soles. Thinking about having em replaced under warranty...

#23 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the replies !!!

In heavy rain days I use the good old steel cap boots, but been house sitting my wife's parents house this week, and then rain just came. For all time sydney people IS THIS NORMAL?????

We should have a thread for specific items, I have 1 more thing to say.

DO NOT BUY RJAYS !!!

Nood if you see me

#25 ·
I like my Motorad full lenght boots but they are not 100% waterproof but they only cost me $100 ( store price $200 )
For true waterproof I use pull over bootes ,they are only about $20 and the advantage you simply throw them in washso your boots look clean .They pack the same size as a pair of socks . I pull my boot off put over overbooties over the boot then put boot back on .I had to laugh watching a mate who tried to put them on over his boots while wearing them, when he finished with some help from me I just pulled my boots off fitted them then put my boots back on , he fely like an idiot !

#27 ·
Hey folks,
I bought a pair of wellies from target for $19.95 - steel last and steel toe, reach to my knees and with explorer socks, nice and warm and wind proof. (first worn on the Perseverence round Oz warm up to Dwellingup - two inches of rain in the day) Probably as safe as half the crap I've seen people offer as waterproof dancing pumps so far. And a shite load more waterproof.
cheers

#30 ·
last year i bought gaerne short boots and they r the only warm/waterproof boot iv'e ever worn in 30+ years A++++

#31 ·
And in real winter riding your toes will feel like they have frost bite and you will have difficulty walking when you get off the bike. I know from painful experience.
Steel toe caps running though cold air at 100kph is not a recipe for warmth.

Kiwi, I've been riding for just over 40 years. Probably 30 of them with steel caps (admitting to ugg boots before them!). I've riden in the snow in the Snowies, cruised around our South West in winter etc etc. I even wore my steel caps hiking (tramping with a pocket full of scrogin) on the South Island of NZ. Never had the problem you're pointing out thankfully.

#33 ·
I've had a pair of pommy DLewis winter boots since around 1975, fur lined, almost knee-high and totally waterproof even after a few rained-in days on the road. They are on about their 5th sole and heel so far. I have a few other pairs of pull-on leather boots for the rest of the year. When I bought the Strom I also picked up a cheap ($160) pair of Dri-Rider waterproof boots for something a bit lighter and more modern. I've been quite surprised by them as I like riding in the rain and do a lot of it and after 18 months I've yet to get a damp sock. Don't know how they'd go after a few days touring in continuous heavy rain, but they certainly work for a few hundred km at a stretch. Reasonably warm in zero temps, but the Lewis boots are better for that. I've worn the Dri-Riders every day, and even in 40+ degree Adelaide heat they are bearable. Footwear is one item I have always spent a lot of money on for top quality last-forever stuff, so these cheapies have been a good buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.