StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the motorcycle show yesterday, and was ready to lay out the cash to buy a Garmin Zumo 550, an amazing GPS unit that most of you know was made specifically for motorcycle use and sells for about $700.

Bottom line -- I was treated so badly by one of Radioworld's employees that I will NEVER be buying from them, and I am telling everyone I can not to buy from them.

Here is my blog entry about the incident:

http://www.beens.org/blog/2008/04/do-not-buy-from-radioworld.htm

-Beensy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good to know. I have made purchases from these people, in the past, for work. One of my pet peeves is poor customer relations/courtesy. I will keep your experience in the back of my mind when I do any future purchasing.

You may want to try either GPS Central (www.gpscentral.ca) or Tiger Direct (www.tigerdirect.ca) for the ZUMO 550.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
May I help you?

I went to the motorcycle show yesterday, and was ready to lay out the cash to buy a Garmin Zumo 550, an amazing GPS unit that most of you know was made specifically for motorcycle use and sells for about $700.

Bottom line -- I was treated so badly by one of Radioworld's employees that I will NEVER be buying from them, and I am telling everyone I can not to buy from them.

-Beensy

Want me to beat the guy up for you? No problem Petey... :p

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow. I was there yesterday as well, and bought a SPOT satellite tracker. They treated me very well. And, seemingly, all the other old geezers milling around their booth as well.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I was there yesterday as well, and bought a SPOT satellite tracker. They treated me very well. And, seemingly, all the other old geezers milling around their booth as well.
I had inquired at past motorcycle shows about their products and they were always helpful, but this particular guy this time was a complete jerk. I am still totally flabbergasted about the incident; I have never in my entire life been treated so poorly by a business, especially when I'm prepared to spend that kind of cash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Radioworld

I was at the show yesterday as well. WHile I picked up the Interphone from them at the December show. I have also found them to be somewhat challenged in the customer service department. I had made them an offer at that time as well for the Zumo 550 and they refused. I am glad I did, as they currently are offering it at the show for $667 plus tax.

Their prices seem good, just not sure whether that would make up for any issues that might arise over customer service.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why don't you just go to the guy's boss and explain what happened? They probably don't know how this guy acts. They may even give you a discount.
I've already sent an email to their General Manager and their president. We'll see how they respond. They'd have to give me an INCREDIBLE deal for me to deal with them.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Why don't you just go to the guy's boss and explain what happened? They probably don't know how this guy acts. They may even give you a discount.
Doesn't work. I tried to buy my Zumo from them. V-Tom suggested I speak with a particular saleperson. I didn't want to drive down from Barrie if they didn't have stock so I phoned first. Asked for the sales guy and was told he was on the phone. Tried a few more times with the same results. Asked what the deal was and was told that "counter sales people are not allowed to speak with customers by phone". Asked to speak with customer service, which takes you to the president.

Customer Service [email protected]

President: Angelo Meffe [email protected]

I spoke to Angelo and voiced my concern that, if I can't speak with someone in particular when I'm looking to spend a mitt-full of cash, what kind of service will I get if I call with a problem. Angelo, basically, said that it is the way it is. Cope with their system or hit the road. So I bought mine from costco.ca. Paid a little more, got free next-day delivery and have been happy since.​

I would never go to Radioworld unless I absolutely had to...and yes, Janice, you can beat up Angelo for me, if you are so inclined. :weapons_5:​

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to Angelo and voiced my concern that, if I can't speak with someone in particular when I'm looking to spend a mitt-full of cash, what kind of service will I get if I call with a problem. Angelo, basically, said that it is the way it is. Cope with their system or hit the road. So I bought mine from costco.ca. Paid a little more, got free next-day delivery and have been happy since.
Don't they realize the bad press they'll get from behaving that way? There's a saying you learn in business class about how many people a satisfied customer talks to about their satisfaction vs how many people a dissatisfied customers talks to about their dissatisfaction (something like 4 vs 20, I don't recall exactly). But in this day of the Internet with someone that has a blog and frequents forums like this and the Southern Cruisers one I belong to, the message could potentially reach thousands. Idiots!

·
Registered
305 Posts

-Beensy
Hey Pbeans...I'm with on this one. Nothing worse than trying to deal with someone who has a lot of "attitude" going on. If that reflects the "attitude" of their company you or anyone else should never drop a nickle in their shop. They don't deserve it....The salesperson that swore at you should not be working at the front door of a business. I'm sure there are lots of folks out there that would be glad to have his job and probably do much better at it. Go get'em Janice............

·
Administrator
13,738 Posts
Ok... I give up!

With one exception I have had nothing but great service from Radioworld. The exception was trying to get through to the guy I like dealing with when he is on the floor. They don't like to pass calls through to sales reps and this messed up Heavy when he wanted to buy his Zumo.

One of my other hobbies is flying ultralight airplanes (trikes, if you know about that type of thing). I started with a Garmin eMap and that suited the type of flying and cars stuff I used it for. It started getting unreliable (which isn't too good in the air) so I needed to replace it. I was in Radioworld ready to buy a $1200 (at that time) aviation specific GPS (Lowrance 2000 I think it was). I literally had it in my hand playing with it and was going to purchase when I got talking a bit more to Steve Parsons. After the discussion he pointed out that the Aviation Specific unit really wouldn't suit my needs so well as I rarely flew into airports or did much of the stuff they do in General Aviation. He suggested that the Garmin 60CX with mapping software would likely be a better fit for me. I ended up buying that unit and saved more than $700 and I think got a unit that was much better suited to what I was doing at the time. I don't know of a lot of salespeople that would try and talk a client out of spending too much money!

I don't know who you talked to or what happened and I don't think anyone should ever be swearing at customers, but in my case I have always had good luck with them.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Received a Reply

I received a reply from the individual in question.

The bottom line is that he felt that my behaviour was inappropriate, not his. He said "Arguably you got exactly what you deserved. We take all dealings with customers personally and make all the extra efforts that customers deserve."

Yup, I guess I deserved for him to swear at me.

He also said "I will also share this story with others, reinforcing customer service skills and 'what behavior' my staff does not need to tolerate." I guess they don't have to tolerate their customers asking technical questions and making offers on their products.

He made no effort to apologize to me. In fact, he closed with this:

"The customer is always right, except when they are rude"!

Now that's the way to impress a potential customer...!

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
You sure?

I received a reply from the individual in question.

The bottom line is that he felt that my behaviour was inappropriate, not his. He said "Arguably you got exactly what you deserved. We take all dealings with customers personally and make all the extra efforts that customers deserve."

Yup, I guess I deserved for him to swear at me.

He also said "I will also share this story with others, reinforcing customer service skills and 'what behavior' my staff does not need to tolerate." I guess they don't have to tolerate their customers asking technical questions and making offers on their products.

He made no effort to apologize to me. In fact, he closed with this:

"The customer is always right, except when they are rude"!

Now that's the way to impress a potential customer...!
Are you absolutely sure you don't want me to beat him up for you???

He sounds like a real a**hole, it'd be fun. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Well!

Yes, it was. I offered $650 when their show price was $667. That's when he swore at me.
Well ya cheap b*stard! I suppose you offered him Canadian money too.

No wonder he went ballistic!

Now give me his name and address, eh?

:p

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Yes, it was. I offered $650 when their show price was $667. That's when he swore at me.
Gotcha. My first thought was that you had made him a ridiculous low ball offer and he got insulted. But in this case, an offer of $17.00 less is hardly reason for a staffer to go off on you.

Off with their heads! :weapons_5:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Well ya cheap b*stard! I suppose you offered him Canadian money too.

No wonder he went ballistic!

Now give me his name and address, eh?

:p
Hmmm.....can I hire you for protection when I hit George Street on my next Nfld run?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Wouldn't doubt anything said so far but from my own experiences with them over 3 major transactions, Radioworld has provided me with excellent service, price and delivery, most recently a few weeks ago. Beatings and embargoes aside -the right thing was to talk to someone in charge about the transaction - I do this religiously, even when I'm treated well and just think things need to improve a bit.

Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts