StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a direct swap. Vees and Wees use the same link. The Vee shock is a little longer so your seat height will be a little taller.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
is that one shot? the rod to the right looks pretty chewed up. Just wondering.

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
The ugly example is how mine looks after 90K miles. I need rework the bearings.
I wonder how much better the rebuilt shock will feel with new bearings in the link?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Good point, better replacing them while I have it in pieces.
You might be more talented than me but when I refurb'd my rear suspension I got new bearings and tried to pull the old bearings from the cushion (Japanese for "shock") lever and made a mess. I had a bearing puller (hammer type) and it ripped out the needle bearings but left the outer race stuck in the cushion lever. The race is very thin and hard to get out without the lip that holds in the needle bearings. I called some mechanics and they were reluctant to try after I botched the job and (probably over) quoted high estimates to get me out of the jam. I found a low-mileage part-out on craigslist and just replaced the whole cushion lever, bearings and all. Soooo... after that long saga, my advice is that if you don't have a bearing press take it to a mechanic who does.

Reactions: HanzoSteel

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might be more talented than me but when I refurb'd my rear suspension I got new bearings and tried to pull the old bearings from the cushion (Japanese for "shock") lever and made a mess. I had a bearing puller (hammer type) and it ripped out the needle bearings but left the outer race stuck in the cushion lever. The race is very thin and hard to get out without the lip that holds in the needle bearings. I called some mechanics and they were reluctant to try after I botched the job and (probably over) quoted high estimates to get me out of the jam. I found a low-mileage part-out on craigslist and just replaced the whole cushion lever, bearings and all. Soooo... after that long saga, my advice is that if you don't have a bearing press take it to a mechanic who does.
Thanks for pointing that out. I will inspect it and if I think it needs replacing then I will shop it out.

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
I made a goof rebuilding the forks and put the upper bushing in too soon. I used a torch to heat up the lower fork leg and tapped it on the vice and it fell out.
So the good ol' heat wrench can be a friend when pressing bearings or bushings.
As rusty and nasty looking as mine are a good cooking couldn't hurt as a starter. Just to kill the cooties at least.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. I will inspect it and if I think it needs replacing then I will shop it out.
If the needle bearings are okay you should still consider replacing the inner races while you have it apart. I don't think they are expensive, Suzuki calls them "spacers" (I think) in the parts diagram but they are actually part of the bearing. These are metal tubes that slip over the bolts that hold every thing together and the needle bearings run on internally. These races often develop divots from wear on one spot because the bearing never fully rotates like a normal bearing. My bike had 80K miles when I did mine and I in retrospect probably sh/could have replacing the spacers and just left the needle bearings alone.

Reactions: HanzoSteel

·
Registered
915 Posts
I made a goof rebuilding the forks and put the upper bushing in too soon. I used a torch to heat up the lower fork leg and tapped it on the vice and it fell out. So the good ol' heat wrench can be a friend when pressing bearings or bushings. As rusty and nasty looking as mine are a good cooking couldn't hurt as a starter. Just to kill the cooties at least.
Tried a torch and even baked it in oven at 500degF for an hour trying to get those races out. To keep my saga short I skipped that part and the part about burning my leg with a red-hot cushion lever. Oh the memories of my project!

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
So, do you recommend using the oven to cook suspension parts only when the wife is gone for a few days?
I'd like my stuffed pork loin to not have fragrance of bearing grease flambeau.

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
What we do when we are single doesn't count.
The wife had a cow when I was cleaning civil war black powder rifles in the kitchen in her big pots.
But what else was I gonna use?:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts