StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello team,

Well I`m in Rio Gallegos in South America, the last big town before Ushuaia, I thought the tyres were looking a little worn and wanted to replace them. However, the only place I can find in town is selling Michelin tyres for $1000US for two - CRAZY! This is way outside our price range and I think I`m getting ripped off.

Now it seems the only option is to risk it and keep driving to Buenos Aires, it will be about 4000km more. The back tyre has done at best guess about 8000km, the front we don`t know (but more of course) because we bought the bike second hand with the tyres.

Please help with thoughts, I`ve added photos of the front and back and can give any further details, but any help would be appreciated.

Front

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, I am no tire expert but it would seem to me that the only thing those are good for would be dry/clean road. Anything else, I'd be extra vigilant... especially around tight curves.

As for risk - I'd take it. You still have 'some' life in them.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Yes you are being ripped of

Motorcycle Superstore - Search

You have to be your own master.

If I knew the roads were smooth and relatively hazard free I might make a try.

You know the guy is ripping you, but he has an advantage so

HAGGLE offer 475 settle for like 600

Actually the tread thickness on the sides look almost new so twisties NOT the problem

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Can you make contact with a supplier in BA or other large city and have a pair air-freighted to you? $1000/pr. -- how many Argentinians can afford that? They must have another source.

Also, note that some on this forum have mounted auto tires on the rear of their 'Stroms (search under "dark side"). That might be a cheaper (and sturdier) alternative, too.

How are the roads? I've thought about that trip through Patagonia after visiting Ushuaia by ship and would welcome any details, pics or trip report you have.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I would only be concerned if you were running on chip seal roads. They are like sandpaper. Do be easy on throttle and brake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice thus far.

We`re riding up the east coast after Ushuaia which apart from 200km more gravel (100km to and from Ushuaia) it should all be paved flat road, better quality than New Zealand

We`re riding two up on one bike.

Front tyre is a Michelin Radial and the back tyre is a Shinko Trail master

Cheers

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
In a perfect world, you probably should replace them before putting on another 4000K. But $1000 for a pair of new ones is a rip-off. I would expect to pay more for tires down there, but not that much! Are you sure that you won't be able to find tires along the way back to Buenos Aires? Maybe in Rivadavia? Could you have some shipped to a city on your route? It's a tough call whether to spend the money now or to risk it and keep going. I've safely ridden on tires much worse than that, but I wasn't at the tip of South America with few options to replace them! I would do all I could to negotiate the price down. I don't know what would be reasonable under those conditions, but I'd maybe spend $500.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It doesn't sound like you'll have the luxury of choosing from many brands. I'd go with whatever you can find that fits!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It doesn't sound like you'll have the luxury of choosing from many brands. I'd go with whatever you can find that fits!
Exactly. You don't need to be confined to the exact OEM fitment, either. As long as it fits the rim width it will do in a pinch. I had to settle for an inexact fitment one time in Whitehorse, Yukon where selection was limited.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Googlle maps says there are 3 saying motorcycles in the town idf it helps

motocicleta, near Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, Argentina

If I try to link it goes to north america

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Your tires look like they'll make it to the next big city. I'd look for any Bridgestone brand tire, especially the Battle Wing BW501 (Front) & BW/502 (Rear) - - it's classified as a "sport tour" tire, but it's really a street oriented dual sport tire. It's a very popular tire, and it's affordable too [which makes it popular!]. I'm betting you'll be able to find one of these in a bigger City.

I wouldn't be that picky. You might be able to find a street tire that would fit too.........and, the Strom uses a 150 series rear tire. You can run a 140 series tire (or even a 130 series if you're running light) on the back with no issues whatsoever - and this will give you additional fitment flexibility.

Good luk!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Your tires look like they'll make it to the next big city. I'd look for any Bridgestone brand tire, especially the Battle Wing BW501 (Front) & BW/502 (Rear) - - it's classified as a "sport tour" tire, but it's really a street oriented dual sport tire. It's a very popular tire, and it's affordable too [which makes it popular!]. I'm betting you'll be able to find one of these in a bigger City.

I wouldn't be that picky. You might be able to find a street tire that would fit too.........and, the Strom uses a 150 series rear tire. You can run a 140 series tire (or even a 130 series if you're running light) on the back with no issues whatsoever - and this will give you additional fitment flexibility.

Good luk!
According to Bridgestone, the battle wing is listed as an on/off road tire with heavy emphasis to onroad.

For their sport&touring tires, look here.

otherwise yes

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I personally would try to haggle them down. I know from experience that there is nothing worse than being stranded in a remote location, especially in a foreign country! I carry AAA as a backup here in the US, but I don't know how easily you will come by roadside assistance down there. Good luck with whatever you decide:???:

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Aye least you don't have to worry bout your shinko 705 chunking out and delaminating!:fineprint:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
That is one big problem,when you plan a long trip ie 9k do you factor in tyre wear on the ones that already have 5k on them or do you ride to Kafristan and say fu--k these pricks want 10 large for a few hoops--planning :mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thanks to the invaluable assistance of Emmanuel and his friend Jorge we were able to track down a replacement back tyre here in Rio Gallegos. The urgency of this became more clear after a second look at the tyre revealed whole sections were at risk of peeling off (we are told this was not due to the bad gravel we had ridden the previous day but the bad quality of the tyre).

The tyre we have is a second hand one from a guy who purchased a new one here in Rio Gallegos (his old one). It will get us over the gravel to Rio Grande (not far from Ushuaia) where we have a contact to purchase a new one. The front tyre is not in such bad nick and we will worry about that a bit later.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts