StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my Wee for an inpsection last year and was informed that I would need new brakes soon. I figured I would know by feel when it was time. I bought new brakes anyway EBC Double H, So here is my question, Why are the original pads a little minus 3/8" or 5mm and the new pads about the same? I have 11,000 mi. on this 07 Wee. Every now and then I can feel an occasional low speed grabb when appying them but nothing of consequence or regularity. Just as a note I am very much due for a new front tire. It too is original. Thanks for any info.:headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
413 Posts
If the new pads are roughly the same thickness as the original (that by the way shouldn't be worn out after 11K) than you don't need new brae pads. The shop was likely trying to up-sell you.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
The pads usually have little grooves cut into them as visual indicators. Brake pads have lasted me 50+K miles, your wear may vary. They will work all the way down to backing plate but get crappy after that. And they wear the disk pretty badly.
Have you no cycle knowledgeable friends in your area to compare notes? Sometimes at cycle friendly road houses there are guys that will take a look and give you a second opinion. Some of these things are common place to the experienced riders and their input can be helpful. And it'll be in person. HArd to second guess via forum with out pictures.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Note: looked in my maintenance records. I changed my stock brake pads at 43,000.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Note: looked in my maintenance records. I changed my stock brake pads at 43,000.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm just about to hit 40K miles and still have the original pads in and they still have some life. I'll probably replace them within the next 5K.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The EBC-HH pads on the front are a worthwhile upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts