StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting this here as well in hope to get more specific info about IL state.

Hello,

I'm from IL and I'm wondering how this thing about riding off-road works.

Basically if I go down the road and I see a gravel road and no signs saying "Private property" or "Keep out! Military zone" can I take that path without thinking I'm trespassing?

How it works on National Park/Forests? Do I need to make sure motorcycles are allowed?

I don't plan to do dirt riding like leaving tire marks all over the place and mess and neither the V-strom is a dirt bike, I just want to know how to proceed or what precautions should I take before I decide taking some trails/gravel roads etc.

thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
State-by-state motorcycle laws
Search Results

Your best bet may be to check out trails designed for off road use. Illinois ATV Trails
Check the link at https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/search/pages/Results.aspx?k=motorcycle for the Off Highway Vehicle Grant Program.

You need permission of the property owner to ride on private property. Check all the pages of the top link for more information.

In state parks, you can only ride off road in areas specifically posted for such use.

If you see an unposted gravel road you can use a car on, you can probably figure it's a public road. Otherwise you're better off finding places designated for OHV use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get a Shawnee Forest MVUM, (motor vehicle use map). Every national forest in every state has to print one each year. It will list all the roads you can go on and the dates that they close for the winter.

Old thread, I know!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I love old threads!
They usually have really good info.
Along the Mississippi river, IL has some really great gravel roads. We decided that it was because IL uses smaller gravel, and of course it packs better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm a little late to the conversation, but with that said if you're still interested I'd look into WI. There's a lot of trails up there and apparently you just need a "trail permit" which is extremely cheap (around $10). I know a few local guys doing something called the "Cheese Trail" this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts