StromTrooper banner

Do I need a relay with a PIAA Horn?

5038 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  honest bob
I have read all the posts concerning the need for a relay with the mighty Stebel horn, to maximize power to the horn and reduce the load on the wimpy stock horn switch. However, I am going with the less-powerful PIAA Sports Horn.

All of the materials from PIAA indicate that the horn is designed to be swapped for the stock horn without any additional wiring (i.e., a relay). I really, really want to do this myself, just to prove that I can, but I fear that a relay will defeat me and send me to the shop with my little bag of parts in hand.

So, my question is, can I just extend the stock horn wires to the inside left front fairing where my PIAA will nestle, given the PIAA's reduced requirements compared to the Stebel?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,596 Posts
Short answer, YES. Can you tell us how many amps the horn draws? Worst comes to worst you will notice your lights dim while the horn is on.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No information on the PIAA site, but lots of conflicting information on the interwebs (what are the odds?).

No one pegs it at more than 10, and some were advised by PIAA customer support that it was less than 5.

As I understand it, the Stebel draws 18.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Here's the problem. A higher draw than stock will create more heat in the horn switch. At least one person had the little return spring lose its temper so the button wouldn't return any more. I don't remember whether he found another spring to fit but the stock one only comes with an entire switch assembly. I like relays for horns and lights whenever possible.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
I would think somewhere between 3 & 5 so again, YES:thumbup:

Edit. greywolf may have a valid point there since I just realized you live in TO, and probably live because of your horn. I on the other hand, had to go out to my bike and confirm the location of the devise that turns my horn on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.