StromTrooper banner

Do I Need a Power Commander for My DL1000? Thx

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  donstrom6 
#1 ·
I'm picking up a 2 Bros M2 exhaust system for my DL1000 Fri.. What's the scoop - will I need to get a Power Commander? Or just wait and see how it runs after the exhaust system is installed?

Thanks

#2 ·
What year bike?

Earlier bikes were notoriously lean and benefitted from a PC even though stock. I have an 05 w/ Leo Vince and wouldn't dream of operating without one. Smooth throughout the power band :beatnik:

Can't go wrong installing the new exhaust and seeing how it reacts, then making a decision.

#3 ·
Nearly every bike sold in the US is on the lean side with the factory pipe and carb/FI settings. You've just added two VERY unresctrive pipes to it. Think it's going to be too lean? (hint: answer yes)

Your bike will not be a happy long-living bike, running too lean.

#4 · (Edited)
I have the stock exhaust and intalled an Ivan's TRE to take care of the lean maps in the first four gears. When installing an aftermarket exhaust though, a PC3, or PC4 if they are out yet, is the way to go. I installed a Jardine performance exhaust on my Triumph Rocket 3 and had the dealership download the richest Triumph tune but it is still running lean. I have a PC3 on the bench ready to install.

I recently met a guy riding an incredible Ducatti with two PC3s, one for each cylinder. :thumbup:

#6 ·
Sorry to jump in here...

There are two things you bike needs:
- mileage
- camping gear

If you want to spend money, I suggest it you put it into gasoline, or a new tent.

That being said, wait to see how it performs before you spend money on something that is not a 2 ounce camping stove (and might therefore not be necessary).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.