StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to thank all of you who help guys like me.I have a stock 03 and I want to get rid of the hiccups and coughing. I have read the PCIII mapping threads and I was wondering if I have to buy a PCIII and do it myself or can a Suz dealer do the same without me having to buy a PCIII, but if the dealer can do it does anyone know the cost a dealer may chrg. Not sure if the cost would be about the same. MPG is not why I bought the toy but getting tired of it not running that smooth. Thanks

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Before you invest in a PCIII, balance your secondaries, do a TPS/TBS and make sure your idle is set correctly (1100 rpm).

If your bike is still running poorly at certain ranges, changing the fuel mapping can definitely help. The dealer, unless he has a Yosh box and a dyno, will likely only change your ECU which may or may not address your issues.

A PCIII can absolutely help a bad mapping issue, but it's important to note that it's a tuning tool not a magic pill. It still needs to be tuned or a map that matches the "hole" in your ECU's shortcomings, for you to be happy with it.

It helped my bike, but it took a bit of experimentation.

Personally, I woulndn't trust a dealer to know anything about this issue. All I've ever seen from the local techs is the ability bolt stuff on and off, and charge too much for the privilege.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My dealer had a Yosh box and dyno and tuned my 1000k7 for me. They also needed to disable some emisions equipment. They knew exactly what they were doing and it showed. I haggled with them on price becuase of another shop related issue with my fueling system..bad filter...so price is not represenative of correct charge. I would expect to pay about $200 and it is worth every penny.

It now is rideable under 3000 rpms. It idles smoothly. No unusual coughs or stalls. It dropped from 42 mpg to 40 mpg...but its early to make a strong mileage statement since we just switched to summer gas and I ride it harder now that its tuned properly. I had no idea it was running so badly...I should have not waited that long but was resisting the PCIII route since once I had it tuned I was done...no further mods to the boiler room are planned for the bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Recommend telephone Fuel Moto 877-729-4754. Talk to Jamie. They will provide new PC5 to match your bike set-up. No dyno runs req'd. This totally transformed my 06 Vee from mistake to keeper. Best $270 I ever spent on any road bike. :thumbup:

And re-gearing completed the transformation.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I cant speak to the stock set up, but I just got a used 03 DL1000 with the PCIII already in it from the original owner, and I tend to short shift every gear at around 3300-3500 when tooling around back roads. The only time I tend to run over 3000 at a cruise is up a hill because the engine starts to sort of buck a bit. For the most part, on any level road in any gear up to 5th I can cruise relatively level roads at around 2300 RPM and up with a smooth and even pulse from the engine.

I have read on this forum about the low RPM issues with the stock bikes and I am very happy that the DL1000 I have is properly set up and adjusted. Riding it is a dream.... or would be if I could just reach the dang bars when back fully in the seat! I'm to short!

Mine came to me with KN air filter, PCIII and StainTune exhaust. Last weekend I did a 2 lane run just over 200 miles and filled the tank at the start and again when I got back home and I got 50.2 MPG doing mostly 45-65 MPH with some small towns breaking up the steady speed along the way. Then Sunday evening I did a 220 mile run that was 2 lane through towns that put me on an interstate leaving me about 100 miles of super slab (85 MPH indicated) to backtrack home on after dark. Again I filled at the start and at the end and used the OEM odometer trip meter for miles tracking and I got 47.6 MPG on that run.

Really, the DL1000 is comparable to my 09 KLR650 with respect to fuel economy, the KLR tends to do a little better around the slower 2 lane stuff with 54-56 MPG typical and on the super slab when your hammering the KLR at 75 MPH (that is nearly balls to the wall on a KLR!) it dips into the low 40's.

Both are set up with paniers adn Givi top box, both bikes have large upright touring windscreens. So the frontal area on both bikes is larger than OEM by a large amount.

My experiance so far is that a properly done DL1000 is smooth and easy to cruise around town as well as on the big roads. I would have been unhappy if this DL had all the drivability issues I read about.... Lucky me!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Front throttle body was out of the lower rubber boot, put it back in place and the bike ran better than ever, smooth as silk in all situations. Saturday to work and back was a dream (56 miles). Rode it in Tuesday morning, what a sweet machine. Went to leave for home Tuesday night, the bike was all hot from sitting in the sun, the thing wouldnt start unless I gave it some throttle. The ride home it was running rough again but I cant see that the throttle body was out again. It's not running rough like when the throttle body was out of the boot just resting in place, but runs rough like the day I bought it with 2500 miles on it. I thought that was how it ran, but after how smooth it was the last few days, I cant belive how smooth it ran. What the hell happened?

It ran rough on the way in this morning, only hick uped once but when you cruise at a low speed in a lower gear you can feel surging. When its idling you can see the connector linkeage between the throttle bodies slowly moving slighty back and forth. When it was running smooth there was NO movement at idle. I can only assume theres a vacuum leak again, somewhere.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just want to thank all of you who help guys like me.I have a stock 03 and I want to get rid of the hiccups and coughing. I have read the PCIII mapping threads and I was wondering if I have to buy a PCIII and do it myself or can a Suz dealer do the same without me having to buy a PCIII, but if the dealer can do it does anyone know the cost a dealer may chrg. Not sure if the cost would be about the same. MPG is not why I bought the toy but getting tired of it not running that smooth. Thanks
Lots of other similar threads. After tps/tbs adjustments didn't help, a quick adjustment with Yosh box made the bike a joy to ride. No PCIII needed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Recommend telephone Fuel Moto 877-729-4754. Talk to Jamie. They will provide new PC5 to match your bike set-up. No dyno runs req'd. This totally transformed my 06 Vee from mistake to keeper. Best $270 I ever spent on any road bike. :thumbup:

And re-gearing completed the transformation.
what he said....

·
Registered
360 Posts
As some are saying, no PC111 required. Just get it Yoshed at the dealer. Over this side of the pond (UK) our Suzi dealers often don't charge for this if done at service time. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I got the loaner teka box

Plus 1 for local dealer who must have tweaked it before I teked it.

teka tuned
home made tre
heavy hands
small 2 lanes
Pulls in the 2K RPMS
35.2 MPG

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the loaner teka box
Ditto
MY 1k with holeshot exhaust pulls smooth, no hicups.

Pre Teka tuning that was not the case, even with stock exhaust. You can totally work around it but why when it's so simple to fix.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey there PMC,,, where are you in Mn. ?? i am in Delano,,and would like to ask you about those Holeshots I have a stock 07. mine runs real good,, but i am worried about swapping new exhausts on.. what will it run like after???

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine coughed and hiccup'd (around 2,800 and again at 3,400) and also stuttered between 3,000 and 4,000. I was belligerent as heck and refused to buy into the "get a PCIII" advice. "NO WAY" I said.

Well, eventually I bought a PCIII, and built my own very conservative map, where I added maybe 7-10% more fuel in the 2,000-4,000 range.

Result- absolutely new bike. Never once since have I heard a cough or hiccup. It's a new bike and soooooo nice to ride.

Just do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
full exhaust pros and cons

Hello to all.I have just bought a 2011 wee and need some advice on goodies.does a full exaust offer any more clearance? ive heard that you cant have a centerstand.will this also affect the kind of engine armour i can purchace?Ive never cut a stock pipe and installed a slipon. This seams like a great site.I have two bros on my honda st1300 and i love the way they sound but there wasnt alot of choices and the staintunes that cost alot didnt fit on one pipe (bend wrong) and second pipe sent was also wrong(big hassle getting money refunded). I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!

thankyou,
Lonney

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Yosh and Teka box does wonders, and nothing external to take a crap on ya.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey there PMC,,, where are you in Mn. ?? i am in Delano,,and would like to ask you about those Holeshots I have a stock 07. mine runs real good,, but i am worried about swapping new exhausts on.. what will it run like after???

I'm in Bloomington so not too far but about 40ish miles from Delano

The pipes are great, look good and sound good. It will not run correctly without either buying a add on FI box like the one Dale Walker sells or PC3 or using a teka or yosh box to adjust it. I'd go as far as to say my 07 would have been unrideable on a daily basis with how big the flat spot was with the pipes on it. Shoot me an IM if you want to know more or have questions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cool!! I'd really like to hear yours in person, and for you to drive mine and see what ya think! pm coming soon,,, I drive for U.S Foodservice,, so i am all over the metro,, and especially bloomington....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went with the Yosh box fix which richened the mixture 12% at low RPM and ALL the problems went away. Just came back from Americade tour and averaged 46 mpg over 1100 miles, mostly back roads in the Adirondacks. If OP is interested, pm me and I'll give you the name of the local dealer that did the work, under $80.:thumbup:
Chuck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts