StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I managed to get out of work early yesterday. I decide to take a ride along Route 2A outside Boston. For those who've never been, it's a nice little jaunt along some historical sites in Concord and Lexington, 40-50mph speed limit and some good turns and dips.

Of course, as soon as I get on there, a giant 18 wheeler pulls out in front of me. This is a one lane state highway, and almost no passing areas. 24 miles an hour. I think I went through every curse in the book about that guy before he finally realized he wasn't on a damn highway and pulled off to go to Route 2 proper.

It's funny, that's the first time I've felt stressed out and angry on my bike since I got it...to be honest, it was like how I am almost everytime I drive my car around this city. It's one of the reasons I got the bike, so I could enjoy the roads again.

Cursed big rigs...back road highways are for us, not you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually back roads are used for delivering freight to all the unappreciative local yocals. When I'm in that situation (on a bike) I pull off and take a five minute breather to let the traffic ahead of me clear out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I nearly met one close up the other morning. I stopped at a rest area on the turnpike to get some gas, and as I was getting onto the on ramp, a truck from the truck area pulls right in front of me.
I gunned it and went around, but I winced at what could have been if I had been a little slower getting on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to commute down that road(In a car), same thing would happen with a car or SUV fairly often. You'd get one idiot afraid to do the speed limit, and a line of 10-20 cars behind 'em during commuting hours.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What I love about truckers...

...is when you have two lanes and one truck is making 2 mph over the truck in front of him and tries to pass in the left "passing" lane! Creates a hilarious "rolling road block" that endangers everyone else behind them!

Last time I came up I-5 thru the Siskyou's (sp?) I nearly got side swiped twice by cars scattering to miss one of these "rolling road blocks", and there's a crawl lane on the outside for trucks that people had to swerve into. Some truck drivers (like any other type of driver) are a danger to everyone, the just have bigger weapons!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I've been wearing an ANSI Class II reflective vest from galls.com. Saw a friend in his Volvo V70R (not many low Volvos on the road so they're easy to spot) as I was getting on the Mass Pike and waved as I passed. When we got to the exit he caught up and said, "That vest really works - I saw you more than 1/2 mile behind me."

With a blue bike a lot of people think you're a LEO for a couple of seconds, and sometimes they even pull over out of the way! I would not ride around Boston without high-viz clothing. It's either the Meshtex 3 and the vest, or my high-viz AST.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The reason for the rolling roadblock or "Elephant Race" as truckers call them is because a lot of trucks have speed limiters in order to conserve fuel for the big fleets. The prudent thing to do is for the driver being overtaken to back off a little so the other truck can get around but as mentioned there are inconsiderate truck drivers too. It's easy to get excited at the truck in heavy traffic going the speed limit instead of the 10-20 mph over that's common in metro areas but chances are the driver is running flat out against the limiter.

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
The reason for the rolling roadblock or "Elephant Race" as truckers call them is because a lot of trucks have speed limiters in order to conserve fuel for the big fleets. The prudent thing to do is for the driver being overtaken to back off a little so the other truck can get around but as mentioned there are inconsiderate truck drivers too. It's easy to get excited at the truck in heavy traffic going the speed limit instead of the 10-20 mph over that's common in metro areas but chances are the driver is running flat out against the limiter.
Is this the same truckers that go 55 mph in Ohio and 80 mph in West Virginia, Ky and Virginia? I have seen the same truckers drive like an old lady in one state, and drive like a bat outta hell in another. Those trucks can flat out move, they seem to block traffic to piss people off most of the time. But hey....maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not familiar with Ohio but they might have split speed limits. Quite a few states still have lower limits of 55 or 60 for trucks and it is BS. Statistics have shown over and over that split speed limits are unsafe. As far as the truck's mechanical ability to go like a "bat out of hell" it's pretty rare. Most trucks aren't physically geared to go any faster than 75-80. While most of the big fleets have speed limiters there are still owner-operators and independents that don't have limiters which is why one truck is poking along at 60 and another is going as fast as 80 especially in the western states. This is probably more info than you wanted but right now there is a big debate in the industry because the big fleets are trying to get the government to mandate speed limiters for all trucks. They claim safety but never have any statistics because they can't find any to back up their absurd claim (it's easy to sell something to the public if they are told it's in the interest of safety). The real reason is that most of the high quality professional drivers refuse to drive a speed limited truck and that leaves the big fleets with the bottom of the barrel drivers (not always but more often than not) That creates an expensive high turnover rate trying to keep trucks filled with "steering wheel holders". If speed limiters are mandated accross the board then the big fleets assume that will solve their supposed driver shortage.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
LOL! Road Rage!
I notice a considerable drop in my road rage when I'm on a bike. When I'm forced to drive my truck or the wife's car, my blood pressure goes through the roof. That didn't register until last week, when I had to use the truck to go to work. By the time I got in, I was so aggravated it ruined the rest of my night. There was no considerable difference in the amount of traffic or the route I took. Conclusion: The Wee is a great therapist!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Congratulations Garandman

I'd just like to congratulate Garandman for restoring his status amongst such Avatar giants as BillI, Freddy, MSheron, Jeff Kusher, Greezy Fetus, and HandyHiker.

When he temporarily went to that picture of a tractor, I was concerned.

Oh, were you guy's saying somethin' about big rigs ? :-D

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Inconsistent truck velocites

I still have a redneck cell phone in my car.

You know, 40 channels and a power mic.

I remember once hearing truckers talk about how they can speed up past the state line because they fell from the graces of the Highway Patrol in the current state and stand a good chance to get their license yanked there.

It is, after all, their livelyhood.

For the most part, motorcycling is optional.

That doesn't mean I don't get annoyed when I'm six Buicks behind the Grand Marshall of the Parade of White Knuckled Lollygaggers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Location, Location, Location

I live close to an industrial area of town. I have to deal with the crawling goliaths everytime I ride. It sucks!! Some of them seem to be faster than others. They are all slower that I want to go!! Oh well without them we would not have anything to b!tch about!:mrgreen: HAPPY STROMMING!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I'd just like to congratulate Garandman for restoring his status amongst such Avatar giants as BillI, Freddy, MSheron, Jeff Kusher, Greezy Fetus, and HandyHiker.

When he temporarily went to that picture of a tractor, I was concerned.

Oh, were you guy's saying somethin' about big rigs ? :-D
I thought it was a self-portrait! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts

When he temporarily went to that picture of a tractor, I was concerned.///
Alexia Moore is quite pneumatic, indeed.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Not to defend poor citizenship behing the wheel at all but I would be willing to bet that everyone's Strom arrived at their dealers on a big rig, as did all the farkles and the beers you drank wile installing them. :D

There is frontage road in the town where I live and is the only highway exit into it. The south side is bordered by a couple of big truck stops and hotels and various eateries. It is a one way street and constantly busy. Truckers have now taken to just pulling out in front of traffic to stop it and allow several trucks pull out. Yesterday I had to take some evasive action as one of these 'good buddies' ran out in front of me....Not a happy camper over that.:mad:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Kind of funny to see this thread as I was talking to a trucker about this two days ago. The feeling seems to be mutual. Not for any personal reasons but the fact that we scare them. Yes we scare them. They can't see us. When we ride by on the Freeway they don't see us until we are at the drivers window, then we just seem to pop up on their radar. Spooks them and they don't like it.

Dann

Have a nice day, unless you planned otherwise...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts