StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one inch risers and one inch pullbacks from the previous owner. They are something I don't need at my height. Is it possible that the steering feel would be better with just the stock height and no pullback? I can't get around a feeling that the steering is a little odd feeling...

Either way, I'm going to figure on changing them out, but it would be nice if this fixed both problems at once.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well there is one way to know for sure... Why don't you try it and see for yourself... Takes minutes to install/uninstall risers...

Richard

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the pullbacks just bolt into the stock spot? I'm trying to figure out whether I need to buy the stock parts or the aftermarket bits will allow me to revert to the original... also whether they need any threadlocker or similar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Easy peezy. Remove all three screws and reuse the two short ones, plus the bar clamp tops. To answer your first question, yes, mine made it feel like I had quite a disconnect between the bars and steering action. So far, I've kept them just in case I get more arthritic.
Also, check to see if the rubber cones are still there. If you want even more direct feel for the front wheel, you can remove them (possibly replace with alloy cones) as long as vibration isn't a big issue for you.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Also, check to see if the rubber cones are still there. If you want even more direct feel for the front wheel, you can remove them (possibly replace with alloy cones) as long as vibration isn't a big issue for you.
And if you don't find any rubber cones and you have a 650, don't worry because they were never there in the first place.

·
Registered
110 Posts
And if you don't find any rubber cones and you have a 650, don't worry because they were never there in the first place.
Good spot, just checked his profile. He could've been scratching his head following my advice! The first part stands, unless he has those arcing style barbacks, instead of the L shaped ones.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I haven't noticed a different in steering feel from bar risers or bar backs. I have noticed a difference due to tire brand, inflation pressure, and a loose steering stem bearing.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I haven't noticed a different in steering feel from bar risers or bar backs. I have noticed a difference due to tire brand, inflation pressure, and a loose steering stem bearing.
+1, tires make the biggest diff in feel. I noticed zero effect from 2 inch pullback on my first Vstrom.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
2 inch :confused: I'm at 1 up 1 back, would like to do 2 back. Where'd you get yours ?
They were a popular brand, can't think of the name. On my second Vstrom, I just went with the risers -- much cheaper: SW Motech risers

·
Registered
294 Posts
I didn't notice much change in actual steering feel with my 2" Rox Risers set about 45 degrees back from vertical.

What I did notice was a much better overall feel after I changed the handlebars to a set that repositioned my hands and wrists with less of an angle. The new set was also a little bit wider, maybe a 1/2" or so per side. The steering "feel" didn't change but the leverage and control I had changed so the overall perceived feel changed much for the better.

I hope that made sense.

I agree that Tires/air pressure probably make the largest difference in steering feel, followed by suspension changes assuming everything is in good order.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
got rid of my bar risers (tilted back as well)

everything about steering feels better, now

I am 5'-10"

·
Registered
516 Posts
Their is an issue of a longer brake line if he is riding an ABS bike

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Never had up and back risers on my strom, but on my bmw k100, they made a world of difference in the handling; it improved greatly when I took them off.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No ABS, it is indeed a 650. Not angled risers, more like a billet plate that serves to "pull back", then a billet sort of thing to raise the bars, and then the top plate. The top plate doesn't look like the same material as the top of the fork, so I wasn't sure it was the same part.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I never liked the bend on my bars, and when I changed to a pair with les bend, the handling felt a bit quicker than I liked, I put on the 2 inch Rox risers tilted past 45 degrees back and everything felt good again with the bonus of my wrists not being bent too much,,,, it's different for all riders, you just got to find the combo that works best for YOU !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts