Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had both the Vee and Wee (currently have the Wee). I loved the Vee but the Wee is much more nimble and the engine is smoother and the front wheel never felt as planted as the Wee. HOWEVER, I miss the acceleration of the Vee. Also, I miss the lower RPM's at higher sustained highway speeds.

If BMW can do it (GS800), I know Suzuki can.

Also, I'd love to see tubeless spoke wheels (does BMW have a patent on these?). Maybe make it an option?:confused:

And NO, I do not want a BMW. Been there, done that; NEVER AGAIN!:mod2_censored:

P.S.- BMW and Vee owners, please don't take offense. This is just what I and I am sure a lot of Strom owners would love to see happen.:p

·
0 Posts
The BMW GS800 is unlike any BMW I've ever ridden...more like a KTM than a BMW...but without the KTM problems. Price wise is not to bad either, loaded with bags for 12K.

If you haven't ridden one..and you're serious about a new bike, you might want to consider it.

I'd consider it...but I absolutely refuse to own anything under 1000cc again.

BTD.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Suzuki already has a great 800cc motor in the 50's m or c.
Have 2 m-50's in my garage and think it would be a great build for a strom.
Put the shaft drive too:)
Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Moto Guzzi has the tubeless spoked wheels on some of their bikes also. Nice looking without the hassle of the tubes if a flat occurs.

I would also be interested in an 800 cc version of the Wee 650 -- just an enlarged version of the current 650 and not a side-by-side twin. I hear and read that the side-by-sides are buzzy at higher RPM That would not be attractive to me at all.

My current ride is an '08 Concours C-14 ABS and thinking my next bike is the Wee ABS. Reason: as I get older, handling the weight of the C-14 might get to be too much for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Zlock Racing can build you a DL 744. But, they say you should pull apart the entire engine and put stronger rods and bearings in it as well. So, I suppose it is possible for Suzuki to do it if they so choose.

Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some real suspension for off road would be nice(usd forks)!

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
This is an accidental rehash of a rumour from two years ago. At that stage there were leaked photos floating around of what was supposed to be the new 1000 engine replacement which was an 800cc V-twin with variable valve timing. It hasn't surfaced in a bike yet but who knows what might appear eventually.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
The BMW GS800 is unlike any BMW I've ever ridden...more like a KTM than a BMW...but without the KTM problems. Price wise is not to bad either, loaded with bags for 12K.

If you haven't ridden one..and you're serious about a new bike, you might want to consider it.

I'd consider it...but I absolutely refuse to own anything under 1000cc again.

BTD.

Yeah, but the 800GS is no Strom. You are correct that it is more like a KTM and I think BMW designed the bike to compete directly with KTM. The GS isn't highway friendly, not is it 2-Up friendly like the Strom.

I would like to see Suzuki ditch both the DL650 and the DL1000 for a single bike that has two versions. While they are at it....not a 800cc....but an 850cc V-Twin that makes nearly 90hp. And.....the bike needs to weigh less than 425lbs, dry.

DL850S (S for Sport Edition)
DL850A (A for Adventure Edition)

The Sport Edition would be a similiar setup to what the Strom is today. It would appeal to 75% of the Strom purchasers which use the bike for 90% pavement and 10% dirt.

The Adventure Edition would appeal to about 25% of the market who use their bike for true adventure riding with up to 50% dirt....touting upgraded suspension (adding 2" clearance over the "S"), Spoked Rims, TKC's, etc.

And for God's Sake!!!!!!......a different faring that is a little more eye appealing and mostly...."ANTI HELMENT BUFFTING"!!!!!!!

Then pricing.... the "S" would retail for $8,900 and the "A" would retail for $9,900. (ABS is standard on both with an OFF switch for the "A" edition.)

I would purchase a DL850A, right now without hesitation!!!!!

PS....anyone wanting something bigger than a liter and more than 100hp......you just need to purchase an FJR or a 1200RT and call it a day.

·
Registered
159 Posts
MTNAdventureRider - What great insight and ideas !!:p

Maybe keep the DL650 in it's current form - it's still selling well and it has a good price point. As you have stated, Suzuki should offer the larger DL as a torquey/performance V-Twin 850 to 950 cc model in the Sport and Adventure configurations. The weight and horsepower ratings you have suggested are right on the mark. In my opinion, the correct approach for the "S" model would be the direction Triumph has gone with the new Tiger 1050 regarding styling, tires, brakes, suspension components, etc. My personal choice would be the "S" model. The closest I've ever been to "off-road" with my 2004 DL650 was the gravel entrance driveway to a KOA Kampground this summer. The "Adventure" model would fill a huge gap/need in the Adventure/Off Road Capable Motorcycle marketplace. The current stock DL models are just not as happy in off-road situations or in the dirt as a new Adventure-Specific model would be. Due to it's appearance, versatility and toughness, the "A" model would be very unique and have great appeal - greater than any one could imagine. I would hate it for the way it would cut into the sales of "Adventure-Type" BMW's, KTM's and KLR's.

Both "S" and "A" models should have belt drive and "under engine" (Buell/Versys type) exhaust or at least a single underseat exhaust, to cut weight and get the pipes out of the way of side mount luggage and legs. Plus both exhaust configurations look really cool.

Hmmmm....They WOULD really be different enough, maybe I'd have to have both models !! :rolleyes:

Suzuki - don't make us hold our breath too much longer. :frown5: We are turning blue !! We know you can do this. You would have the market for standard/adventure motorcycles totally cornered.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would buy the adventure if they did such
Mike

Yeah, but the 800GS is no Strom. You are correct that it is more like a KTM and I think BMW designed the bike to compete directly with KTM. The GS isn't highway friendly, not is it 2-Up friendly like the Strom.

I would like to see Suzuki ditch both the DL650 and the DL1000 for a single bike that has two versions. While they are at it....not a 800cc....but an 850cc V-Twin that makes nearly 90hp. And.....the bike needs to weigh less than 425lbs, dry.

The Sport Edition would be a similiar setup to what the Strom is today. It would appeal to 75% of the Strom purchasers which use the bike for 90% pavement and 10% dirt.

The Adventure Edition would appeal to about 25% of the market who use their bike for true adventure riding with up to 50% dirt....touting upgraded suspension (adding 2" clearance over the "S"), Spoked Rims, TKC's, etc.

And for God's Sake!!!!!!......a different faring that is a little more eye appealing and mostly...."ANTI HELMENT BUFFTING"!!!!!!!

Then pricing.... the "S" would retail for $8,900 and the "A" would retail for $9,900. (ABS is standard on both with an OFF switch for the "A" edition.)

PS....anyone wanting something bigger than a liter and more than 100hp......you just need to purchase an FJR or a 1200RT and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
70-90 hp

for me the owner of a 650 more power would be nice , but not at the cost of tire and chain life , also mileage . 800cc would be just right with a mellow part saveing powerband . power is great but the cost of parts is to much unless you have a high income or dont ride to many miles a year . my wee is the most frugal bike ive owned and thats what i need in order to enjoy miles on the road

·
Registered
159 Posts
Choice is good !!

Having the 650 and the 800 cc+(preferably 850cc+), would give everyone the choices they need to get the motorcycle they want with the minimum compromises. Then, throwing in the choice of "Sport" and "Adventure" models will bring smiles all around the planet.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts

Sounds good to me.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts

Amen.

Suzuki has a great platform and lots of loyalty among VStrom owners. 850cc - 90 hp - better windscreen - keep it light - two models (A&S).

I'm not sure I could keep my wallet in my pocket if Suzuki would actually bring an 850 to market

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Both "S" and "A" models should have belt drive and "under engine" (Buell/Versys type) exhaust or at least a single underseat exhaust, to cut weight and get the pipes out of the way of side mount luggage and legs.

Nope, the "A" model must have chain drive, as a belt is no bueno for dirt. Also the "A" model must have a high exhaust the highest clearance possible and for crossing streams, etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No belt for you ?

I assumed that belt drive would be acceptable for both the Sport and the Adventure model, too, because the Buell Ulysses and BMW 800 both use belt final drive. I don't like oiling and adjusting and oiling a drive chain (just replaced chain and sprockets - so the cost and inconvenience are fresh on my mind). Shaft drive has cost and handling issues. I would like a belt drive - never had one - but I'd like to !!

So OK :

Sport = Under Engine Exhaust and Belt Drive

Adventure = Center Mount / High Mount Exhaust and Chain Final Drive.

NO Problem !! :cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Belt or shaft drive.

IMO, a small design change in the front upper fairing (the black one).
Have the headlights seperated at the bottom another inch or so apart, and have the tips (upper left and right parts of the lenses) sorta pulled down and away if looking from the front. This would make the top fairing another 6 inches wider, and wider than the bottom fairing.

This would bring a more balanced look to the front of the bike, and much better wind protection from a wider fairing, wider shield etc..

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
A "Wee" with an 800cc motor that weighed the same as the current 650 would be wonderful. Unfortunately, it's not very likely. The 650 crank is already a bit undersized (as anybody who races SVs knows. :)) so you can't just plop some 90mm jugs on the existing bottom end. Stroking the current setup is bad too, the conrod length-to-stroke ratio goes all to hell. The whole motor would need to be redesigned to handle the extra power and would end up at least 20 lbs heavier. Some other stuff would have to get bigger/heavier too, chain/sprockets, exhaust tubing, muffler, catalytic converter, brakes...you get the idea. There's a reason the 1000 is 55lbs heavier than the 650. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
A "Wee" with an 800cc motor that weighed the same as the current 650 would be wonderful. Unfortunately, it's not very likely. The 650 crank is already a bit undersized (as anybody who races SVs knows. :)) so you can't just plop some 90mm jugs on the existing bottom end. Stroking the current setup is bad too, the conrod length-to-stroke ratio goes all to hell. The whole motor would need to be redesigned to handle the extra power and would end up at least 20 lbs heavier. Some other stuff would have to get bigger/heavier too, chain/sprockets, exhaust tubing, muffler, catalytic converter, brakes...you get the idea. There's a reason the 1000 is 55lbs heavier than the 650. :)
I think a competive weight could be achieved with an 800cc Vee. It only makes sense that the current 650 motor would end up a little porkier to handle 800cc power, but Suzuki could easily shave weight elsewhere.

The stock exhaust system is so heavy that a lighter version could offset much of the weight gain in the engine. Shave a few ounces to a couple of pounds here and there and you would have a bike that weighs the same as the current 650. The problem is, the cost would quickly skyrocket to the range of the DL1K.

I don't think a new 800cc Vee is very unlikely at this point. It seems more likely, in my opinion, that if Suzuki were to revamp the V-strom line-up, they would come up with an all-new, clean-sheet design or at least a major overhaul. This would provide the opportunity for Suzuki to replace the 1000 with an 800 that comes with longer travel premium suspension, optional ABS brakes w/ switch ala BMW (Bueler, Bueler, Bueler), tidier factory luggage options. They could either keep a revamped DL or a less expensive, new version of the 650 as a cheaper alternative to the up-level 800. If Suzuki went with more of a clean-sheet design, they would be able to make a lighter weight 800cc motor that would keep the weight down.

I think given the current ecomonic situation, this is highly unlikely and probably not likely even if everybody was still blowing money left and right. It seems the Big 4 are all slow to catch on to trends in the American market. I would be less surprised to see new Stroms introduced in Europe. I think given the increasing growth in the dual-sport market, it would make sense to offer a more dirt-able Strom from the factory and then a street/touring oriented version much like BMW does with their current F800 line and how they did several years ago with the F650.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts