Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my Wee3 about a year ago and after looking around for luggage options that could be both useful & durable but also as cheap as possible. (That may sound bad, but having to pay ~9400EUR in Greece for a 2017 650XT forces you to cut as much as you can on accessories). I chose the Givi/Kappa option as I had a K48 top box in great condition that I would like to carry over and was considering either a set o Givi E41 (which I could borrow/buy from a friend) or go for a set of aluminium K-Ventures 37L/Dolomiti 36L in the future.

I looked around and accessorimotostore in Italy was offering a good price + free shipping for SRA3112 and PL3112. Due to production/stock shortage, the SRA3112 arrived first. Installation was pretty straightforward and took me less than an hour (preparing coffee, trial fitting, applying loctite and final fitting). The K48 top box was put on and I had a 300mile trip with no issues whatsoever.

10 days later I received the PL3112 rack. Fitting it for the 1st time took almost 3hrs, as I measured each bolt, spacer etc in order to be sure, trial fitted, removed, trial fitted once more and removed and performing the final fitting. At that moment I noticed that the lower of the 2 bolts that go through the left passenger footpeg required a great amount of force (well, at least greater than all the other bolts which for the most part I just screwed in bare-handed). After taking the bike for a ride, I noticed some vibrations coming from the rear part at around 4K-5K RPM. I called and friend and he helped me refit the rack the next day (completely remove and refit). The result was the same. As I had not completed the break-in, I was not sure was the behavior would be over 5K, but surely the vibrations were alarming.

Having planned a trip to Italy which was to begin about 2 weeks after that, I left the rack alone and spent most of the time on the preparations. The Givi E41 pair locked up fine on the rack, and I think I noticed less vibrations on the same RPM levels when the bike was loaded.

Last week, after reading a few threads on bad quality bolts/screws on Givi, I decided to go to my local shop and get a whole new set of high quality galvanized bolts. I removed the rack, cleaned the threading and trial-fitted all the bolts to be sure that they are right. I re-attached the rack but I had the same "resistance" from the lower bolt of the left passenger footpeg. I am (almost) convinced that the tolerance on the Givi rack on this specific part is not correct and this could cause the transfer of vibrations from the engine > footpeg > rack > rear part. Also, now that I can push my engine a bit higher, I have spent some 5-6hrs of riding during the weekend and have narrowed down the RPM range to 4750-5500K. I think that that vibrations are higher at this range.

I can see that a lot of owners have opted for the PL3112 rack. Did you face any issue with tolerances? Are you also getting vibrations on the rear part (felt in rear part of the saddle) after installing the PL3112?

Also, does anyone have experience with Givi RMA? (I saw that they replaced ScottKY's rack, but not sure if this was Motostorm initiative, or Givi)

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can see that a lot of owners have opted for the PL3112 rack. Did you face any issue with tolerances? Are you also getting vibrations on the rear part (felt in rear part of the saddle) after installing the PL3112?

Also, does anyone have experience with Givi RMA? (I saw that they replaced ScottKY's rack, but not sure if this was Motostorm initiative, or Givi)

Thanks for your time!
I don't remember having a great deal of difficulty with those bolts that mount at the passenger footpeg. I think I left all of the other bolts loose until I got those aligned and in place. And I haven't had any issue with vibrations from the PL3112 racks (I had some vibration from mu Givi crashbars at about that same RPM range, but I was able to solve that issue).

In my case, the tolerances of the mounting holes where the Kappa K-Venture adapter was installed was slightly off, causing interference of the locking pins. I communicated only with Motostorm, never to Givi directly. So I can't comment on Givi's after-sales support.

I hope you are able to solve the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't remember having a great deal of difficulty with those bolts that mount at the passenger footpeg. I think I left all of the other bolts loose until I got those aligned and in place. And I haven't had any issue with vibrations from the PL3112 racks
I did not have problems installing, except you need to loose fit both sides first to attach the connector rod in the back. No vibrations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did not have problems installing, except you need to loose fit both sides first to attach the connector rod in the back. No vibrations.
I had the same experience with the back connector rod when installing the PLX3112 rack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished reading through the "crash bars vibration thread" (dl650a-2012-2016/74128-crash-bars-vibrations-33.html)
I am not so sure yet, but I think that the vibrations could be caused from the crash bars, transferred to the pegs (both driver & passenger) and then transferred to the rack and through that to the rear part of the bike. I am planning on visiting my dealer tomorrow morning to check it out. I will ask them to ride the bike and verify the issue and then remove the crash bars and check the behavior. I am pretty sure they will try to deny it, but I did order the bike with OEM crash guards installed (although I did get the 2016 version of them)

on me 2018, perfect fit and NO vibrations. You must be doing something wrong or your bike is screwed up.

@manofsteel1, do you also have the crash bars on your '18 model?

(I had some vibration from mu Givi crashbars at about that same RPM range, but I was able to solve that issue).

@Scott, thanks for commenting, how did you solve the vibration of the crash bars?

Also, does anyone have the info on the required torque for the crash bars bolts?

·
#motoref
223 Posts
I had an issue ... I attributed it to paint and used elbow grease.

No vibrations, zero issues since. I measured nothing, just used Ikea like techniques looking at pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Givi crashbars have a small coupling section to connect the left and right sections. I added some black RTV silicone and a couple of fat o-rings at the coupling. That seemed to solve my vibration problem.
ScottKY, did you experience any vibration during the braking in period at speeds over 110km/h (60m/h) (over 5,000 RPM)?

I am at 350km (200 miles). Few days ago I rode it on the highway and reved the RPM to 6,000 for few seconds. It started vibrating... Is it normal for a new bike?

·
Registered
398 Posts
ScottKY, did you experience any vibration during the braking in period at speeds over 110km/h (60m/h) (over 5,000 RPM)?

I am at 350km (200 miles). Few days ago I rode it on the highway and reved the RPM to 6,000 for few seconds. It started vibrating... Is it normal for a new bike?
Do you mean the bike itself, or the crash bars? I don’t notice any real vibrations over 6k. I guess maybe there is some very slight buzziness, but I wouldn’t call it vibration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more question guys, did you notice a difference in the top part between the left and the right rack?

Specifically, the top right screw of the left rack is easily accessible; there is not obstruction in using a long stem tool.
The top left screw of the right rack is not. The rectangle that holds the luggage gets in the way. It seems as though it is bent a bit forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot add links yet, here is the picture from mine (change x to s)
httpx://imgur.com/a/v2BtqVL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts