StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Companion thread to my gearshifting woes thread :) Can't say but that when it rains it pours. So over the last couple months I've noticed a drop coming out of the waterpump weep tube. It started out about one drop a month has now increased to a drop a day, enough to keep the pavement wet underneath the weep tube. Not more than a drop, though.

Since I will have the side of the engine off to mess with the shifter issue I might as well do the waterpump seals too, as I assume it is the seal between the impeller shaft and the side cover.

Anyone done this before? Any wisdom on the process? Special tools needed?

Thanks in advance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The good news is Black Lab did a nice job covering exactly that situation. The bad news is he is moving his coverage from here to his own site. It is gone from here and not posted at the new site yet. Check Black Lab Adventures for it to show up if you can wait a bit and it sounds like you can. In fact, waiting sometimes is all it takes. A small leak like that is often cause by a little foreign mater stuck in the seal that can wash out later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check it out. It just seemed convenient to do while I have everything apart. I'll keep the BlackLabs guy on my radar. Thanks for the tip!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's most likely the #4 shaft seal inside the pump.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I have been following this thread. On my "To Do" list is to go through my files, and get this maintenance journal entry posted. Maybe tonight, definitely by the weekend.

B.L.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fantastic! Very helpful!! Got the oil and coolant drained tonight, the saga shall continue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts