StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K7 quit shifting properly on me yesterday. Right now I can only successfully upshift/downshift between 1st and 2nd gear. I cannot shift into any gear above that. The shift lever feels loose and floppy.

Does that indicate a broken shifter return/centering spring? If so, what operations are required to replace it? Do the cases have to be split? If the cases must be split to get at it, is it cheaper to replace the engine? (bike has 75,000 miles on it)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Start by taking a close look at the shifter lever's linkage for obvious problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did examine the shifter linkage, nothing seems to have changed from when it was shifting normally. The linkage appears to be operating properly, from what I can see on the outside of the bike. The clutch seems to be engaging/disengaging normally, no differently from when it was shifting normally.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
You get at at the selector mechanism by removing the clutch cover and clutch basket. That can be done with the engine in the bike. If the problem is in the gears themselves, that requires splitting the cases.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greywolf, assuming the problem is a broken return spring on the shift shaft, can that be replaced from the clutch side by taking that side cover off?

If the problem was in the gears themselves, wouldn't there be some kind if difficulty shifting into 1st/2nd, or some kind of noise/crunching? It shifts into/out of 1st/2nd normally, there just isn't the "tension" on the shift lever that is usually there.

I'm trying to work through this "in the air" with parts fiches and an online 2004 DL650 service manual. Need to decide if I should invest the $90 in a service manual and do the work myself. I figure if the problem is in the gears and the cases need to be split, it's beyond my skill set / available tools, and I should simply replace the motor or part out the bike.

·
38,104 Posts
No tension on the lever makes a broken spring likely. It can be reached by taking off the right side cover and the clutch basket.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Greywolf, assuming the problem is a broken return spring on the shift shaft, can that be replaced from the clutch side by taking that side cover off?

If the problem was in the gears themselves, wouldn't there be some kind if difficulty shifting into 1st/2nd, or some kind of noise/crunching? It shifts into/out of 1st/2nd normally, there just isn't the "tension" on the shift lever that is usually there.

I'm trying to work through this "in the air" with parts fiches and an online 2004 DL650 service manual. Need to decide if I should invest the $90 in a service manual and do the work myself. I figure if the problem is in the gears and the cases need to be split, it's beyond my skill set / available tools, and I should simply replace the motor or part out the bike.
Take the clutch cover off and it looks like this:

replacing the spring would take about 15 seconds after taking the cover off.

Yes I need to clean my chain as well :mrgreen:

·
38,104 Posts
That's the sprocket cover. The spring is on the other side under the clutch basket. Taking the clutch basket out is pretty involved.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's the sprocket cover. The spring is on the other side under the clutch basket. Taking the clutch basket out is pretty involved.
I stand corrected, thanks Greywolf, much appreciated. Shows how much I know... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
100 Posts

*Almost* all shift problems like you explained are caused by a problem with the shift linkage outside or the mechanism inside. Rarely are they a problem with the gears so have hope. If the lever feels sloppy and has no resistance, the problem may be simple. If you're looking at some of the drawings, look for a bolt that holds the plate on the end of the shift cam. This plate is round with wavy bumps around the perimeter. The bolt that holds it to the end of the shift cam (shift drum) has a really long head on it. We've seem 3 or 4 of them come loose over the years on other models, especially if the shift pedal has taken a hit recently. Another possibility is one of the pins in the plate is broken. It's likely you can see these parts without pulling the clutch basket. But you might not be able to actually remove any until the clutch is removed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a helpful photo in the K4 service manual I have on PDF. It shows the shift shaft monkey motion all exposed on the outside of the case (but inside the clutch cover)...thanks to Greywolf for mentioning this. All the monkey motion seems to be behind the clutch basket so I will have to remove the clutch. Might as well check the plates while I'm in there; at 75k it's about time.

Do you folks know if any special Suzuki tools are required to remove the clutch basket?

Thanks all for your helpful input!

·
38,104 Posts
There are special tools like the clutch sleeve hub holder but people have fabricated parts to do the job too. Here's a fiche of the parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Greywolf. I'll have to see if I can acquire the needed tools.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My K7 quit shifting properly on me yesterday. Right now I can only successfully upshift/downshift between 1st and 2nd gear. I cannot shift into any gear above that. The shift lever feels loose and floppy.

Does that indicate a broken shifter return/centering spring? If so, what operations are required to replace it? Do the cases have to be split? If the cases must be split to get at it, is it cheaper to replace the engine? (bike has 75,000 miles on it)

Thanks!
Preload your shifter much?
Just asking...

It's never cheaper to replace the engine, especially if you do the job yourself. I don't know about stroms, but I've had somne old GS engines apart, and they can be completely rebuilt over a weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I have the shift shaft mechanics exposed, and I can't see any obvious problems...no broken or missing springs or linkages. Everything *appears* to be where it should be. I'll update after I get the clutch off and everything apart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts