StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a call from my dealer, informing me of a recall on the 2012 650, and that I can expect a letter from the factory advising me not to ride the bike until the repair is done. The recall involves the front brake switch, and the possibility of it not activating the brake light on the rear of the bike. He advised me to use both brakes, so if the front switch on the hand lever doesn't work, the switch on the rear brake pedal will activate the brake light. If he has parts in stock at the 1000 mile service, he will replace or repair it then. Just a heads up to the owners and riders of the new model.. check your switches/lights.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was also told by a dealer that they(the dealership) can't release any until work is completed on the new stroms.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Crikey! hope this is not an indication of things to come

·
Registered
305 Posts
I haven't heard anything yet, so not sure Aussie models are effected.

If a dodgy brake light switch is the worst problem my bike gets I'll be pretty happy :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's a new one on me.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I hate to say I told you so..but...
New features..new bugs - that is the way things work.

I'll stay with my XP (2011 DL650 AKA Mk1B). thank you very clutch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 2004 Wee was the 19th DL650 in Australia (going by the chassis number). It had zero issues. No recalls.

My 2012 DL650 is the 124th going by the chassis number. The only really new parts on the bike are the instrument cluster and fairing. I doubt there will be issues with any of that.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My 2004 Wee was the 19th DL650 in Australia (going by the chassis number). It had zero issues. No recalls.

My 2012 DL650 is the 124th going by the chassis number. The only really new parts on the bike are the instrument cluster and fairing. I doubt there will be issues with any of that.
The last sentence is simply inaccurate.
The >>Engine<< is not the same. It is more powerful.
The ECU is not the same (32 bit, but more bits do not equate to more reliability)
The cooling system is not the same - do you have an oil filter hanging out there? I don't think so.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The 650 has had a 32bit ECM since 2007. There are many changes in 2007 though including a different ECM. There was a TSB on the 650 a couple of years after introduction due to the wiring harness being mis-routed in the building process. There are recalls on the OEM luggage covering the red rear reflectors so reflectors needed to be installed on the luggage.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The 650 has had a 32bit ECM since 2007. There are many changes in 2007 though including a different ECM. There was a TSB on the 650 a couple of years after introduction due to the wiring harness being mis-routed in the building process. There are recalls on the OEM luggage covering the red rear reflectors so reflectors needed to be installed on the luggage.
OK, you're right. I thought I read somewhere that the ECU is a faster/modified one.
My point was - The Glee is a different bike than the Wee. A major upgrade. Not just minor cosmetic changes.
And as such, one can expect such issues coming up.
Just like when Vista came out Microsoft said it is the same reliable XP engine with a better user interface. Well it was not exactly the case.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
A bad switch is no big deal as long as I can still pick up my bike on Monday. :green_lol:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I hate to say I told you so..but...
New features..new bugs - that is the way things work.

I'll stay with my XP (2011 DL650 AKA Mk1B). thank you very clutch.
Now that is the confusing part. I thought 2004-2006 was XP and 2007 - 2011 was Vista???? Tells you what I know.

Expecting grief now.

Flame on?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Now that is the confusing part. I thought 2004-2006 was XP and 2007 - 2011 was Vista???? Tells you what I know.

Expecting grief now.

Flame on?
:)

I see it like this:
2004-2006 was XP SP1
2007-2008 was XP SP2
2009-2011 was XP SP3

·
Registered
15 Posts
2012 recall

I can't honestly imagine grabbing a handful of front brake without applying the rear as well, so the front brake switch is merely a formality anyway. IMHO.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The last sentence is simply inaccurate.
The >>Engine<< is not the same. It is more powerful.
The ECU is not the same (32 bit, but more bits do not equate to more reliability)
The cooling system is not the same - do you have an oil filter hanging out there? I don't think so.
Go look at a Suzuki Gladius, you will see the engine and cooling system is the same. It is not new.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go look at a Suzuki Gladius, you will see the engine and cooling system is the same. It is not new.

God, what an ugly bike :yikes:

I'm guessing that's why it's technological improvements are so easily overlooked.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
True, the engine is not completely new (it can be seen as yet another generation of the original SV650 engine). But its application inside the Glee-Strom is new, and looking at the way Suzuki handled transition of engines from generation to generation, there are changes and improvements that they incorporate to each such 'generation'.
Also the exhaust system is different than the Gladius.

Don't get me wrong, it could be that the Glee turns out to be super reliable.
Just odd that a brake switch, something that has been rock sold for the last 8 years suddenly requires a recall only a month or two the model comes out. Makes you wonder what other things Suzuki have changed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I haven't gotten notified of the recall yet myself - just got my 2012 DL650 home 5 days ago - but just so I understand: it's about the front brake not triggering the rear brake light, but the rear brake would, so as long as I'm not using only my front brake I'm OK? It's unconscious action by now but I don't think I typically apply front brake only....

On the other hand, if I go out to my garage tonight, start 'er up and pull on my front brake lever and see the rear brake light reflecting on the back wall of my garage, am I in the clear? Is this a "factory wiring error" type of recall - "the rear brake light relay doesn't work with the front brake only" - or a "bad part" recall that would result in an intermittent failure of the brake light stemming from use of the front brake?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts