StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now own many cycles with fuel injection systems.

This '12 DL650A is one of them.

I'm reading of "failures to start" / "failures to idle" / "running rough" types of issues on the forums associated with my other cycles. Some of the problems are traced to an in-tank fuel filter attached to the exterior (the inlet) of the fuel pump that has become clogged.

Some of these other models *also* have a fuel filter inside the pump itself. That is, the fix is to replace the pump if / when the pump filter clogs. I've seen the pictures of these pumps that are hack-sawed open to examine the insides. The filter part looks like an accordian-type fiber insert inside the pump housing.

Anyway, I thankfully see no issues with the '12+ DL650 yet. Good!

But, I am thinking of making a maintenance replacement item of any servicable fuel filters that are inside the tank and *possibly* replaceable.

I say possibly, because I'm not going to saw open a pump and then replace what's inside, and re-seal it (I could, but I refuse to deal with the potential consequences of fuel leaking).

But, if there is a replaceable filter on the inlet, well then, I can do that!

Before you say "but, it's not listed in the exploded parts list", I had to look for 2 years for another model that *also* was not separately listed. Then one fine day, a user posted that he found one that would fit another cycle (actually, a pump unit's filter from inside a quad's tank).

So, just 'cause it's not listed, does not mean it's not available to buy (separate from the entire pump).

What I would like to know is, has anyone had the tank opened and looked close at the fuel pump? Does it have a filter on the inlet?

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a strainer on the inlet and a high pressure filter in the regulator section. See External Fuel Filter modification regarding the 2007 and later 650 pump system. The Vee and earlier Wee systems are a bit different.

The Glee fuel pump is probably similar to the Wee from 2007 on. See the parts diagram at 2012 Suzuki V-Strom (DL650A) FUEL PUMP | MRCycles
Wow, 9 Pages! OK Then!

Thanks for the pointers, I *will* read through it.

I would like to read your opinion about my idea. Are any of these parts worth my consideration as, say, 2 year replacement items?

·
38,048 Posts
A clogged high pressure filter is the usual problem. A bypass allowing an external HP filter seems to be the most elegant solution. The length of time before the pump pressure gets too low for proper operation will vary according to the cleanliness of the fuel and the amount of fuel passing through. Replacing the regulator/filter section as a prophylactic measure can get fairly expensive. I would do a volume test every year and plan accordingly. Fuel flow check

Remember a lot of those nine pages are on a Vee/pre K7 Wee pump, which is a bit different.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a strainer on the inlet and a high pressure filter in the regulator section. See External Fuel Filter modification regarding the 2007 and later 650 pump system. The Vee and earlier Wee systems are a bit different.

The Glee fuel pump is probably similar to the Wee from 2007 on. See the parts diagram at 2012 Suzuki V-Strom (DL650A) FUEL PUMP | MRCycles
Ohhh. $110.00 for the HP Filter part. $30.00 for the Strainer.

Ouch! But, cheaper than being stranded, I guess.

·
38,048 Posts
I was careful to use top tier fuel on my '07 Wee and never fill up when there was a delivery truck in the station. Top Tier Gasoline

Any storage in snow season was done with a full tank to prevent condensation and Sta-Bil marine formula to handle ethanol in the fuel.

I had 77,000 miles on the bike when I sold it and its present owner is approaching 100,000 miles on the original fuel pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts