StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 DL650 that I am having starting problems with. When I turn on the key, I hear the fuel pump spin up and the gauges and lights come on. I pull in the clutch and push the starter button and the lights dim like always but nothing happens.
I have checked the clutch switch, the kickstand switch and the starter switch and all seem to be okay. I actually took it to a shop a week ago because I was so frustrated with it and they said the battery was bad so replaced it. It worked fine on the way home but the next day, it did exactly the same thing - will not turn over.
Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The first thing to check is the new battery. Is it still charged? If not, your charging system might be faulty.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is this a new to you bike? Is it possible you are turning the key to the Park position which leaves the tail light on? It sound like something is running down your battery...or it's not charging.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Is this a new to you bike? Is it possible you are turning the key to the Park position which leaves the tail light on?
+1.

I have a Back-Off voltage monitor. It's inexpensive and unobtrusive -- just a little green LED that I mounted next to the instrument panel. It does two things for me: shows me that the charging system is working properly, and warns me if I've turned the key to "Park" (because it should not be on when I walk away!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike Not Starting

Hmm, lots of suggestions about the battery being the problem. I rechecked the voltage after reading the replies and it is putting out 13.5v so that shouldn't be the problem.
I purchased the bike new in 2006 so am familiar with how things look and sound when it starts. Everything seems okay except it won't turn over. Gauges and clock all function normally. I jumpered the clutch switch just to be sure that wasn't the problem and still no start.
I suppose it could be a broken wire going to the clutch switch but nothing looks out of place.
Anyone else got an idea?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
13.5V off a battery alone is too high to be real. Try jumping the bike from a car battery with the car not running. Does the starter relay click?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Do you hear a relay click, or any noise when pushing the start button?

Check battery voltage while trying to crank it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hmm, lots of suggestions about the battery being the problem. I rechecked the voltage after reading the replies and it is putting out 13.5v so that shouldn't be the problem.
That's not conclusive. You'll have to disconnect it and load-test it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I pulled the battery and had it load tested. Showed 100%. Voltage is around 13.0.
I don't hear anything when I press the starter button - the lights dim but that is it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Okay, I pulled the battery and had it load tested. Showed 100%. Voltage is around 13.0.
I don't hear anything when I press the starter button - the lights dim but that is it.
The plot thickens ...

We have so far:

* The battery is known-good.
* The last time this happened, the only thing you did was replace the battery, and it was "fixed".
* All pre-start electrical systems seem to respond, except of course the starter itself.

So:

* It can't be a fuse (else it wouldn't have been "fixed" by a new battery)
* It isn't the ignition switch or starter button (because the headlights -- well, you said "dim", but the headlamps should actually go off during cranking -- do they?)

That seems to leave two things: a poorly seated connector, or an intermittently failing starter motor.

(I'm also taking your word when you say "checked" the kickstand switch, clutch switch, etc. This sounds like behavior that could easily be caused by one of those failing.)

If it were me, I'd next check all relevant electrical connectors (unplug and reconnect each), and thoroughly clean my battery connectors.

·
38,048 Posts
I don't think so ... that's pretty normal "surface charge" for a freshly charged battery. That's why I suggested load testing.
It is outside of my experience. I don't think I've ever measured higher than 12.9V.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It is outside of my experience. I don't think I've ever measured higher than 12.9V.
The emergency AGM battery (which is just a big car battery) for my ham radio will give me 13.7 when it's first pulled off the charger. That will diminish if it sits awhile.

·
Registered
36 Posts
guys, that is exactly my problem now and I was hoping to see the answer here.
Icrouse, have you figured it out why your bike didn't start?

my does exactly the same: I hear the fuel pump spin up, the gauges and lights come on but nothing happens. I hear relay clicks under the seat (the seat is off), I checked the contacts. I tried to shortened push-button from the inside but bike doesn't even try to start.

any ideas?

·
38,048 Posts
If you're getting clicks, there isn't enough current getting to the starter. That's just about always the battery or the battery connections.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you're getting clicks, there isn't enough current getting to the starter. That's just about always the battery or the battery connections.
Also check the battery ground connection to the bike's chassis. I've had vehicles where the electric items with lower current draw worked fine, but a bad ground connection would not allow enough juice to flow to the starter.

·
38,048 Posts
Yep. Battery connections includes both ends of both big wires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
greywolf, you miss understood me. I hear the clicks only when I turn on the ignition. at the same time the gauges make full rev back and forth and bike is ready to start. at this point all lights are but there is dead silence when I push the button.
it is nothing to do with the battery and contacts. the battery is new and yesterday it was perfectly fine.
the only what I can think about is heavy rain. my bike was exposed to it for a couple of hours. when I hopped on it later night, the low beam was gone and I had to use high beam. but I didn't have problem to start it. the following morning I couldn't start my bike. no low beam as well. I checked fuses and connections.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts