StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 DL650 ABS (orange) and began farkling it out :hurray:

I just finished adding the TN532 engine guards along with the frame sliders / swing arm sliders from svracingparts.com and am impressed with both products.

The only snag I hit was trying to remove the frame bolts for the engine guards; if you are using hex keys, prepare a healthy dose of umpphh to budge'em.

Both products seem solid. I did not experience any vibration with the engine guards, and the frame sliders seem very well made (and look nice!)

I initially had a few questions about installing the sliders, but Blair from svracingparts was great to work with; he has my recommendation! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I have the orange 2012 too, with sliders and was wondering if the Givi bar would work with them. I don't suppose you can post a picture?

·
Registered
115 Posts
yes I experienced the bolts extremely tight too when installing the givi guards. Other than that the install went very smoothly. I think they look the best out of all the guards. Seem to be good quality and no vibes after.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Question for anyone that's recently installed the Givi crash bars...

Just picked up the Givi crash bars today, and taking a look at the assembly. Apparently, Givi got the message, and has been including rubber O-rings for the front bar connector, ostensibly to cut down on the vibration (they're still missing the rubber washer for the connector bolt, however).
With the additional space the O-rings take up, the bolt (all of which are M8-1.25 35mm long bolts) barely makes it into the threads of the nut. Has anyone else run into that? I'll be adding a rubber washer under the bolt-head, as well as on either side of the metal spacer. I'll also be picking up a longer bolt (perhaps 40 or 45mm) to accommodate all the new rubber washers.

Also, does anyone know the grade of the bolts removed from the engine bracket? The Givi bolts are 8.8, which surprised me a little. Most of the important structural bolts I've seen used in the past are 10.9, which has almost double the resilience.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine made a huge racket at about 4k rpm but I soon discovered that the spacer between the two halves in front didnt fit flush and it was spinning around. I put the washer beside the spacer and no more noise.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I don't know what the bolt measurements are, but presumably they're on so damn tight because of the loctite. I had to use an improvised breaker bar.

Aren't sliders and guards redundant? Does anyone have both on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you run into the metal spacer on the connecting bolt still having wiggle room? I could keep cranking the bolt in until the two ends meet but I fear that is only going to start warping metal. And yes it took some manual strength to pull the two sides together in order for it to even thread in the first place....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently bought a 2013 DL650A. I just noticed two threaded holes on the undersides of the swing arm. Are those for frame sliders?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts