StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum so haven't seen all the back posts. What have the majority of you all done about the suspension on the DL650? It's too stiff for the road and too soft for the dirt. I'd like it to ride like my KLR650. Is that possible? Bill

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Welcome to the clambake.

Unless you weigh less than what you can mail with a first class stamp the Strom suspension is not too stiff for the road. Springs, fork oil, new shock or rebuilt shock matched to your weight and riding style will improve your suspension tremendously.

But no matter what you do, only your KLR is going to ride like your KLR.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I'm new to the forum so haven't seen all the back posts. What have the majority of you all done about the suspension on the DL650? It's too stiff for the road and too soft for the dirt. I'd like it to ride like my KLR650. Is that possible? Bill
Not going to ride like the KLR, that bike has way more travel than the Strom. Travel-wise, the Strom is a street bike, pure and simple.
That harshness you're feeling on the road is due to the springs being too soft, stiffer springs will actually be more comfortable.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
There is a HUGE amount of information on this forum regarding suspension setups. Yes, at times, there are conflicting opinions, but it is ALL worthwhile reading!

Use the Search Dialog box right near the top. It is "powered" by Google. Type something like, "DL 650 Suspension", or something similar.

Rich Desmond, (Sonic Springs), and Blair, (SV Racing Parts), will help you out with purchases when you are ready to make them.

B.L.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I weigh 200 lbs. geared up, have about 40 lbs. in the GIVI 41s and a small tank bag. I'm 70-year-old geezer who thinks he rides aggressively-right! Ride an 07 Wee with 45,000 miles on it.

I sent the rear shock to Sasquatch and asked about fork springs. He called and suggested .95 with ATF (supposedly about 10 wt. but that varies depending on the brand). I'm going with his recommendations. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
According to sonicsprings.com spring rate calculator, .90 would be right for normal street riding and .95 for aggressive street riding for Ian. Be sure to emphasize to Jay at Sasquatch what your riding preference is so the shock isn't too harsh for you. Changing the shock damping is expensive. Exchanging front springs is easy.

Most ATFs of the same spec are the same viscosity regardless of maker. All MerconV ATFs must meet the Ford licensing spec, etc., those made to the old Dexron-III spec will be the same viscosity, etc. The newer ATFs are a lighter viscosity...Dexron-VI & MerconLV.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks PTRider. I agree, the Sonic Spring Calculator suggested 0.90 springs for normal street riding for my weight. I mentioned this to Sasquatch and he was fairly adamant about using .95s. I figured I would go with his advice as he has a good rep. He said if wasn't satisfied, he'd replace them.

I remember putting the suggested rated Eibach springs in my 04 FJR-hated them!

We'll see, thanks again. Ian, Iowa

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Hi, I wouldn't be surprised if at 200 lbs, you find that the 95wt is too stiff to get you the ride you like. They are heavy springs,

At 200 all geared up 90wt is much more likely to give you the ride you are looking for,

The really good news is that the springs themselves are not too difficult to swap out if you find the 95wt are too stiff for you,

The DL650 is a great bike with the suspension sorted out,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
+1 on 0.90kg for 200lbs gear up weight (190lbs our of shower?) - that's what i used when i was at that weight range - I am now 210lbs out of shower and only using 0.925 (0.90 in one fork leg and 0.95kg in the other) and i considered myself a very spirited riders most of the time.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
FWIW. The 2012 model is pretty well set up from day one.

Fork brace is still worth adding, but other than that there isn't the pressing need to upgrade that there was with the earlier models.

Pete

·
Registered
121 Posts
2012 DL650 suspension upgrade

Reviving this old thread because it seems to have some good info. Does anybody know what the spring rate is for the stock 2012 (0.90, 0.95, etc.)?

I find the front suspension harsh on the road, but I think the bike handles pretty well. I would like to reduce the harshness but still have a good handling bike, I.e. Not go too "soft". I weigh 165, not sure about with gear but guessing 180?.

I asked both of my local dealers for their opinion. The Suzuki dealer made me feel like I was asking to add pink streamers to my handlebars, sort of a " we will do whatever you want if you pay us" attitude, but really seemed to think I was crazy for asking. The Kawasaki dealer (who I really like and trust) felt they could definitely improve things with new springs. Not sure who to believe. Per the post above, shouldnI just leave well enough alone?

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Reviving this old thread because it seems to have some good info. Does anybody know what the spring rate is for the stock 2012 (0.90, 0.95, etc.)?

I find the front suspension harsh on the road, but I think the bike handles pretty well. I would like to reduce the harshness but still have a good handling bike, I.e. Not go too "soft". I weigh 165, not sure about with gear but guessing 180?.

I asked both of my local dealers for their opinion. The Suzuki dealer made me feel like I was asking to add pink streamers to my handlebars, sort of a " we will do whatever you want if you pay us" attitude, but really seemed to think I was crazy for asking. The Kawasaki dealer (who I really like and trust) felt they could definitely improve things with new springs. Not sure who to believe. Per the post above, shouldnI just leave well enough alone?
The stock springs are a dual rate, and very soft. First 3" is 0.65, final 3" 0.85, with about an inch of transition between them. That's where the harshness is coming from. It's a bit counter intuitive, but stiffer springs (0.90 in your case) will be more comfortable, as well as improve the handling and braking stability.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The stock springs are a dual rate, and very soft. First 3" is 0.65, final 3" 0.85, with about an inch of transition between them. That's where the harshness is coming from. It's a bit counter intuitive, but stiffer springs (0.90 in your case) will be more comfortable, as well as improve the handling and braking stability.
Thanks for the reply, Rich. I think from other posts, you are associated with Sonic Springs? I went the Sonic spring rate calculator and came up with 0.95 vs. your suggestion of 0.90 based on:
-2012 DL650 Adventure weight with full tank of 479 + 30 = 519
- add 16 lbs. for center stand, aux. lights, Corbin seat, etc. for a bike weight of 530
- tank bag
- rider weight of 165 plus 15 for gear = 180
- standard bike
- normal street riding

That yields 0.95. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Rich. I think from other posts, you are associated with Sonic Springs? I went the Sonic spring rate calculator and came up with 0.95 vs. your suggestion of 0.90 based on:
-2012 DL650 Adventure weight with full tank of 479 + 30 = 519
- add 16 lbs. for center stand, aux. lights, Corbin seat, etc. for a bike weight of 530
- tank bag
- rider weight of 165 plus 15 for gear = 180
- standard bike
- normal street riding

That yields 0.95. Does that sound right?
Wow, I am better at math than that. 479 + 30 = 509
Add 21 for stuff = 530
...is what I meant.

If I use 525 for the bike I get 0.90, so it is right on the line. I ride a tad aggressively sometimes, but mostly pretty normal, so maybe 0.90 is right?

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Wow, I am better at math than that. 479 + 30 = 509
Add 21 for stuff = 530
...is what I meant.

If I use 525 for the bike I get 0.90, so it is right on the line. I ride a tad aggressively sometimes, but mostly pretty normal, so maybe 0.90 is right?
Yeah, and the Stroms have a bit more travel than the average street bike (which is what the calculator is designed for), so you can derate a bit.

And yes, I am associated with Sonic Springs. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm at about 265 lbs. all geared up. My 2011, L1 has a considerable amount of extra weight added, with crash bars, skid plate, center stand, luggage racks. All the usual stuff.

I believe the calculators came up with 1.05 or 1.1 fork springs for me. I went a bit conservative and installed .95's with 15 wt. fluid. That upgrade along with a Hyperpro rear shock built for that weight really made the Wee a great ride for me.

I'm happy with the fork setup and wouldn't want it any stiffer. I do occasional gravel roads though. If I road a lot of off pavement, I would likely go with 5 or 7.5 wt. oil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, and the Stroms have a bit more travel than the average street bike (which is what the calculator is designed for), so you can derate a bit.

And yes, I am associated with Sonic Springs. :)
Rich,
I just ordered a set of 0.90 springs. What weight fork oil do you recommend?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts