Discussion Starter #1
The stock shield can be lowered an addional 2" by re-drilling new
8mm holes. The top center height is 5" in this position. It lowers
the rake and reduces the air from under the screen. No more hemet
buffeting and reduced helmet noise. I can raise my face shield a
couple inches with no wind hitting my face. The bike handles better
during windy conditions etc.

Pictures at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mcmann87/album?.dir=1760&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mcmann87/my_photos

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great job on the windscreen!

But lets here some specs on mounting that rock guard!!! What modifications if any did you have to do to mount that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
HOLD UP

WHOA

Wait

Yes Nice Mod on the windscreen BUT

What is the Story on the Rock Guard ?????????????????????????

XRL Rock Guard ?!?!?!

Holy Shit !! I love it

Details Baby !!!!

Where did you get it ? is it XRL as in Honda?

Got Part #'s Did the Aluminum Sheild come with it ?

I Like it A LOT

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DL650 Skid Guard Alternatives

Try I was a stock XR650L Rock Guard (required 2" spacers & 9 1/2" X 3/8" bolt - and a bracket to hang from the Oil Cooler bottom bolt).

TryII is a stock plastic XR650R Skid Guard attached to a Givi Engine guard (Installed over the XRL guard). I had to make a bracket to wrap around the 1" diameter Givi tubing. Since I do not plan on taking this on serious trail rides - Plastic is O.K. The plastic XR650R Skid Guard does require a small metal spacer to keep the hot exhaust from melting it!

Part# for XR650R Plastic Guard: 50351-MBN-670ZC (H/C 6374151)
Should be less than $50 via a Honda Dealer.

Most serious dirt riders upgrade stock guards to Heavy duty Skid Plates. Should be many stock guards for sale!

More details - E-mail me: [email protected]

Tom from Georgia

·
Registered
312 Posts
so, I should go out to the garage and remove the skidder from my XR650R, move that one to the Strom, then go buy a heavy duty part for the XR !! [i guess finding out which and from what source should be on another forum]

z

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see the slots on the bottom of the screen in the pic. Are the 650 windscreens different that the 1000?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works!!

I read this, and just went out and did it. A little more wind noise but NO MORE buffeting! Clean air! I'm 6' 0'', and this was a perfect solution; took me 15 minutes. I'm going to cancel the order for the Givi I ordered last week.

Thanks for the guy who posted this.

Cheers, Doug

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Below, was a question and answer regarding lowering the shield. (I covered up the exposed slots at the bottom of the screen with black plastic decal strips).

Answer to Zapp:
Correct - except you have to drill all new holes (except the plastic cover mount) You can give it a test fit by moving the shield down 2" below the lowest setting using the plastic cover mount to hold the shield. You can hold the shield in this position with a rubber washer and the cover screws & take a test ride. If you like it - use a sharpie pen to mark where you need to drill (4 new shield holes & 2 cover guide holes). I used an 8mm drill for the new plastic cover guides holes - then trimmed them with a razorblade to fit the 8mm holes. The bottom of the plastic cover should be trimmed to fit flush against the screen. The cutouts at the bottom of the screen are exposed. I used a black plastic decal strip to cover the cutouts.

I really like the screen in this position.

You may want to try top bracket spacers in the lowest position first - - - I read about that after I performed my modification! Maybe tipping the top or bottom of the shield a little will meet your needs?
Good luck,

hey
this is Zapp
from one of my many email accounts! gotta keep ducking

re: the 'sportshield' mod you did, I can't tell from the pics exactly what you are talking about. let me regurgitate and you straighten me out.

- there are no spacers, no tilting, no cutting of the shield itself, right?
- You drill two new holes in the plexiglas shield, above the two uppermost holes present-as-stock, at the same distance above that the stock holes are spaced vs. the 'second' holes [from the top] right?
- You place the slider/Yoke at the bottom-most position
- re-attach screen

any spacing or other adjustments necessary?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mcmann is da man

I did this modification today on my DL650.

Excellent results. This is probably as good
as it will get on this bike unless you go with
a big screen that will entirely protect your
head. Then you will be looking through the
screen.

Thanks very much for this tip !

vs

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DL650 Sport Shield

If you decide you want to raise the H-bracket/Shield up a notch (with the new holes) put a 3/4" spacer under the bottom H-bracket to tip the shield back to increase the rake and allow more air under the shield (counters the air coming over the the increased rake). You can get longer 5mm allenhead bolts at Home Depot.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mcmann87/detail?.dir=1760&.dnm=a42e.jpg&.src=ph

Note: You can order memory foam custom cut at:
http://www.foamorder.com/memory.html

I put an inch of memory foam under my DL650 Seat cover to give me more leg room. It really makes the seat more comfortable! This is why I decided to raise the sport shield up a notch (with more rake).

How can I Fix a TYPO on the "DL650 Sport Shield" Subject?
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts