StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been covered, but after reading about skid plates for the last hour, I figure I would just cut to the chase.

Are there any skid plates for an 08 dl650 that don't require crash bars?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I know this has probably been covered, but after reading about skid plates for the last hour, I figure I would just cut to the chase.

Are there any skid plates for an 08 dl650 that don't require crash bars?

Thanks.

Dave
Yes. Dan Vesel's skid-plate does not require them.

Go here: Dan Vesel

You're welcome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get Crash bars now, befor you NEED them. 1 Drop and they will pay for themselves. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Touratech does not require crash bars, but it is one of the more expensive options out there, plus you need to relocated the oil cooler (included with the kit).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ok.well, i just found adress :

http://www.motoagora.com/podia650.html

Ps. i think, it's just modified Honda transalp skid plate, but it looks great on Wee.
I agree it does look great but not sure why it makes sense as a skid plate at 190 Euros if the protection is limited. I noted this caveat on the vendor's web site:

"It is NOT designed for off-road use or lifting the motorcycle. Mounting requires the use of crash-bars by one of the following companies"

How much need is there really for a skid plate just for the routine road debris?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
skid plate

i fugure you could put the money in the bank , if you did dent your pipe you would funds towards a performance exhaust . if your rideing hard enough to crush the pipe you would be also rideing to hard for the soft rims .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Get engine guards! No doubt you'll need them if you intend on getting a skidplate for anything other then looks. If you aren't going to actually use the plate for "off-road / fire road/ etc." use, then save your money or put it towards the engine guards.
If you want a skidplate for looks..that's fine, but IMHO you should drop the cash to protect the bike before dropping it on looks.

While Dan makes a lot of great quality items for the strom at fantastic prices and has excellent service, etc. I'm anti-skid plate when it comes to that design. Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem to serve well depending on what type of surfaces you are riding. Simple gravel roads..sure, anything more you may need to replace the engine, which on a strom, you should never have to replace or do much to other then typical service. This is not to say that every other plate out there is great...they all have flaws in design somewhere if you really want to analyze them and so does the strom itself. However, it basically comes to the lesser of two evils...buy a vstroma or swmotech plate and mess up the exhaust possibly, touratech will mess up your bank account:bom_laugh3:. and so on.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I'm anti-skid plate when it comes to that design [Dan Vessel]. Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem to serve well depending on what type of surfaces you are riding. Simple gravel roads..sure, anything more you may need to replace the engine...
Agreed. The DV skid plate design pretty transmits any hits to the engine. I'm not familiar with the others, but essentially a bash plate under a 500-lb nose-heavy bike raises a more fundamental question as to whether it's dual-sport nature is grossly overstated. FWIW, I bought a used DV skid plate and put 'er on, but it's hardly ideal. Log-hopping is totally out of the picture, but carrying a chain-saw your Pelican-case is an option most dual-sports don't have.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That B&B skid plate looks awesome! I just emailed them asking for a quote to ship it to me.

I really like the way it mounts to the bike, looks much tougher than most others I've seen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just my two cents, but from everything I've read attaching a skid plate to the engine is just asking for a new engine. You might as well not have one and just take hits to the engine if you're going to be doing any offroad.

The hit transfers directly to the engine block and not to the frame (which can take the hits) and the block will just crack. If you're just doing gravel roads then I spose it would be alright, but anything tougher and you're going to want something that goes around the engine and attaches to the frame.

I personally went with the Pat Walsh ones which are economical and good enough for some offroad (and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine.) Plus I was more impressed with the way the cooler gaurd worked. Of course, I (now) go more for use than looks, and the bikes a lot prettier with dirt on it imo. I just need some modified ammo cases and i'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
This is my V-strom dl650 k8.This is quite nice skid plate from Grecee(podia skid plate).They are sending this all around the world(pay pal paying).
$308 delivered - 190 Euro plus 30 shipping.

I have a Hyde, it does not require any tubular guards for mounting.

Just bought one, where the heck does the bolt go?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Right, but it came with a bolt and there's a hole on the side?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Right, but it came with a bolt and there's a hole on the side?
look where hole in the rear of the plate lines up. there should be a hole in the block you run it thru. the big screw you use the insert on the other side.

·
Registered
146 Posts
actually, there are 3 attachment points.
The clamp on the header pipe,
The factory bolt on the right side,
and the left side which mounts using a plastic screw anchor and a supplied lag bolt in an unthreaded hole on the motor [it lines up once you wiggle everythinginto place, the guard fits very snugly around the motor]

The anchor/lag bolt seems kind of strange at first, but there is no force pulling straight out against the threads, only lateral or "shear" force and it works quite well.
I have had it on my wee for 26k+ miles, on and off for oil changes [I don't undo the front header mount, just the 2 side bolts and rotate it around and bungee it to the handlebars]

I have smacked it a few times, and had much gravel pepper it and it is as good as new.

I was leary at first, but someone told me that the BMW 's use an engine mounted sump guard and the shape of this one is so rounded that an impact is mostly deflected and not just absorbed..

In my opinion , the bike is top heavy enough without adding more steel high on the bike [and then wondering why it always tips over]

Not a shot at anyone else's choice of accessories, but this has worked well for me.

It is a quality product, and is a vast improvement in underside protection.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts