StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 DL650 has 4100 miles on the odometer. For the first 3000 miles, it didn't use any oil. In the last 1000 miles (app.) I have had to add app. 1/3 quart to keep it at the full mark. I use 10w40 per the owner's manual. I'm just curious as to what kind of oil consumption everyone is experiencing, and if mine is normal?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mine hasn't used a drop in 50k kilometrs. Are you sure there was enough in it and you checked the same way ?

I would tend to run it a little low rather than over fill it

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think mine is using a bit of oil, too. I haven't really done precise checks, though. I have noticed that the oil takes a looonnngg time to settle down into the crankcase once the engine is stopped. You might try waiting 10 minutes to double check.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
16.000 km and not a drop added between the oil changes (* knock on wood *). At least older SV650s were quite sensitive for over-filling so I've kept the oil level in the middle of the marks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
In my mind, this topic supports the "break it in hard" theory. Sounds like your rings might not be seated as good as mine :lol: :lol: I really beat the snot out of my bikes after about the first 50 miles. I consider 45 minutes enough time for "break - in" then it's fun time - on to getting those rings seated properly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
TheTwins said:
In my mind, this topic supports the "break it in hard" theory. I consider 45 minutes enough time for "break - in" then it's fun time - on to getting those rings seated properly.
Yeah, add me to the Motoman bandwagon.
11,000+ miles and beating the crap out of the engine and it loves it.
No oil usage.
Castrol GTX10-40 rocks.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No visible oil consumption for 7,500 miles. Fairly hard break-in and dumped my first oil after 100 mi. Ran Spectro Petrolium 10/40 up to 7,000 miles and switched to the Spectro Synthetic Blend 10/40. No oil burn and smooth shifting!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Surprising oil consumption on DL650AK8

I've had my first bike for exactly half a year now.

I did the first 1000km (600 miles) service at 1200km. They changed oil and filter and did a lot of other inspection items. Expensive it was.

Before a longer vacation trip, I noticed the oil level was somewhat low at 3700km, so I went back to the service shop where I bought the bike. Here they added ca 2dl oil, so it was close to the high level mark. They are using Motul 5100 10W40 all the time.

The second service, 6000km (4000 miles) actually done at 5400km was more or less just an oil change. The oil level was left in the middle, and according to the servicemans stressed explanation, not to be overfilled. This second service was done at a distant authorized Suzuki center than from where I originally bought the bike.

Just recently at 7700km I discovered, that the oil level was hardly visible through the inspection window, well below the low mark. Back to the service shop where I bought the bike. Here they added as much as 5dl.

I'm surprised at the fact, that it seems the oil consumption is 1 liter per 5000 km. Maybe this is normal, but I don't know. This is my first bike, so I don't have any references. But if it was my car that had this oil consumption, I would be worried. I've no problem to add a liter of oil between the service intervals, if that's all what the bike needs.

I can also tell that the fuel consumption during this time started at 0.45 liter / 10km, but lately it's now more like 0.55 liter / 10km. Accumulated over my first half year it's exactly 0.48l / 10km.

Driving inspired on curvy roads with friends, I'm expecting an increase in both fuel and oil consumption, as well as high speed transports on the highway. There's no leak from the Wee Strom, it's all clean on the garage floor.

What's your experiences? Is this a normal oil consumption for a new motorbike?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Although my Wee never used any oil when breaking in, it isnt unusual for that to occur. Keep a record of the oil consumption in the event you end up needing that looked after under warranty.

I assume you're checking the level whilst using a centre stand?....if you are doing it holding the bike upright, a very small change in angle each time will affect the reading in the sight glass. And to be more accurate, check the oil after the same amount of "sitting time".

I have only ever had to add oil between oil changes on mine once, and that was after a couple of long days, riding hard and fully loaded (the bike, not me...).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re:Surprising oil consumption on DL650AK8

I don't have the center stand, so checking oil is always a bit acrobatic, with a constant fear of dropping the bike to the opposite left side. And yes I've noticed it's important to have the bike exactly vertical and on a horisontal floor while checking. Still, oil has been missing, and yet only filled up by the authorised service centers. However, I'm now going to buy oil (1l or 4 liter) in order to keep the level in the middle of the inspection window in future.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Rolled the Wee over 13k today and the new oil I am using has me very happy, but I have a story as to how I got here.

For the first 10k miles, I used different oils like crazy. Oil changes happened at 35 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, 2000 miles, 4000 miles, 6000 miles, 8000 miles and 10000 miles. It was at 10k that I decided to try 5k change intervals with a great synthetic. Problem was, the Rotella 5W40 began to feel very rough at the 2,200 mile mark and I noticed that I was about 1/3 of a quart low, so I changed to Mobile 1 R4T 10w40. After 600 miles, I was 1/2 a quart low. My theory is.....oil consumption was very high when I run Interstate 25 at 85mph on the dial and 6,500rpm's for extended runs of an hour or more.

Very frustrated and concerned I tried a suggestion from a member on here and went to Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic. I have had the stuff in the bike for 280 miles, with about 150 miles on I25 and I am thrilled. Apparently no oil consumption at all (watching the glass very closely) and WOW....does the bike shift smoothly and run very smoothly.....especially at higher RPM's.

I am certain the 15wXX oils aren't as good in the cold weather, but I am one of those guys who simply doesn't ride unless the Temps are above 50 degrees. I will keep everyone posted as to how this oil seems to perform for me. But so far, I am simply pleased that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable oil consumption so far.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 06DL650 has 34k on it. I did the initial oil change at the dealership 600 mile service/inspection (*cough* - bend over :bom_thumbsdown: ). At 2400 miles I did my 2nd oil change, and switched to Amsoil 10/40 motorcycle oil. I run between 4000-5000 miles between oil changes (sometimes suzuki filters, sometime K&N filters, sometimes Amsoil oil filters). A few times I have used approx 1/2 a quart between oil changes. All engines use a tad bit of oil... I know that on at least one occation, I was running 7000 rpm for well over 90 minutes on one trip that contributed to a bit of oil use (I-40 going westbound from Needles to Barstow Xmas night-- dark, cold, headwind, hauling ass).

The majority of the miles I put on are commuting to/from work-- Running 75-85 mph for the most part. These ~ 20 mile blasts don't seem to affect the oil level one bit. If you use no more than 1 quart in 5000 miles, you are most likely fine if you ride the thing like a beast.

I rode with some guys to Big Bear a year ago or so, and I ran to keep up with the faster guys (all on 1000s). When we had lunch, I mentioned to the 'slow' riders (no offense, so go with it) that I had a problem with my bike. "Yeah, everytime I go to shift, the bike shuts off." "Really? maybe you should take it to the dealership." One guy replied. I couldn't hold my tongue and added "Yeah, I figured it out though... when the tach says 10500 rpm, it's time to shift!" Most all of them had never gone above 8k I would imagine. Hey, I thought it was funny :)

Try running through the gears to fuel cut off every once in a while. The bike seems to run MUCH better afterwards. I swear! :cool:

NR552

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Big John,

I just may have to try that 15W50 when it warms up here next Spring. Right now I am using Rotella 5W40 and I too tend to use a little bit of oil during extended high speed riding.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
In my mind, this topic supports the "break it in hard" theory. Sounds like your rings might not be seated as good as mine :lol: :lol: I really beat the snot out of my bikes after about the first 50 miles. I consider 45 minutes enough time for "break - in" then it's fun time - on to getting those rings seated properly.
the motoman break-in is bull-crap. i broke mine in according to the manual. it's not using a single drop of oil, and i'm at high rpms pretty much all the time. (consuming 6-7 liters of fuel per 100kms though.

i think the problem with the zooki recommended break-in procedure is people aren't understanding that the engine has to be under load pretty much all the time during break in...

abotu the motoman method: i dont think its a good idea to be heavy-fisted ona new engine. i've ruined a cam that way once before...

he does have a point though, the engien needs to be under load, but the manual also states that... acceleration and engine braking are required during the first 1000km, and no driving at constant speed.

as far as seating compression rings, heck, just let the engine idle for an hour and they'll be seated. it's all about the oil rings, and that reauires loads on the engine (in both directions).
what motoman disregards is the cam lobes also need breaking in, and that's why zooki says not to exceed 5,000rpms at first, and to reach redline in stages...

another important break-in tip is heat it up, then let it cool down completely, then heat it up again, repeat often... that means stop the bike after it's spent 1-2 minutes under load at normal operating temperature.

but hey, lots of ppl dissagree with me. i suspect they love the motoman method becasue it works as far as burning oil goes. i also suspect they did not understand what they read in the owner's manual. it's explained clearly, but everyone that isnt familiar with engines and how to break them in will mis-read it into "ride it gently"

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sitting Duck,

Tend to agree with you on this very tetchy subject. I've always run my bikes in by the book. That doesn't mean slow...but just following the very simple instructions in the manual. None of my bikes...and I've had 42 new bikes in 39 years of every type you can think of, have ever been slow or used any oil. From my time as a techy, I believe most folk don't understand the break-in and bedding in process or why it has to be done. It's not just about the piston rings and bores.

The 'motorman' method describes exactly the method we used to use to break in racing engines both cars and bike. It's still used today. However, it must be understood racing engines are set up differently to road engines. For one thing, piston ring gaps are set much bigger to allow for the massive heat during break in and of course during racing. This means the engines are much less likely to suffer from ring or piston damage during break-in. Mechanically, this makes the engines noisey but that doesn't matter for a racer. On a road bike, it's much more risky using that method in my honest opinion. Gears and bearing can all be encouraged to fail early if abused during the early part of their lives. I've seen it happen. But everyone makes their own decisions right or wrong I guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is puzzling why some Stroms consume oil while other do not. Even when a new Strom is broken in properly, there can be oil usage (see post #11 above).

Here is a possible reason: perhaps there is an inconsistency during manufacture of the SCEM plated cylinders, causing oil to pass by the piston rings. From Wikipedia: In a significant departure from the SV engine, which uses cast iron cylinder sleeves, the DL650 uses Suzuki's proprietary SCEM plated cylinders (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material), a race-proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide coating for reduced weight and improved heat transfer, allowing for tighter and more efficient piston-to-cylinder clearance[4], similar to a Nikasil coating.

Does anyone know about other bikes with a similar cylinder plating? Do other bikes have similar oil consumption problems (not caused by the usual wear and tear of old age)? I have a friend with a BMW tourer (R1150 ?), and he says it is normal for these BMW's to use quite a bit of oil (it has to do with the design of the Boxer engine) - but evidently all of them have this trait, unlike Stroms where only some use oil.

Has any Strom had its rings replaced during the warranty period, or has has something else replaced which has solved the oil consumption?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
oil

i suspect its the oil level window system on the v strom and most suzukis that causes problems , after an oil change check the oil early in the morning while the engine is cold . add oil too the high side of full , a tiny differance on the sight glass can be many cc of oil . i think people burning oil may not have enough in the motor to begin with .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts