StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's very capable with options, but there are machines better fit for that purpose. Still, I am very impressed with my Wee and ride it more often than my KLR, but I pick the heavy KLR for the woods and always cuss it for being too heavy and wish I had a lighter bike.

·
Administrator
18,468 Posts
All the rider......not the bike.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Check out the roads in the background at 8:13.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You mean the MX track or the road to the MX track?

This debate always amazes me. We're all spoiled. You could take almost any bike almost anywhere. It's mostly what you choose to do with it and your abilities as a rider.

I read a book recently where a guy took this 1917 Henderson across the USA in 1919...before pavement, interstates or anything past buggy trails.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You mean the MX track or the road to the MX track?

This debate always amazes me. We're all spoiled. You could take almost any bike almost anywhere. It's mostly what you choose to do with it and your abilities as a rider.

I read a book recently where a guy took this 1917 Henderson across the USA in 1919...before pavement, interstates or anything past buggy trails.

...With a virtually non-existent suspension, no less...yes, we are all spoiled; probably [email protected]@d, as well, if our modern toys begin to dry up in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
...With a virtually non-existent suspension, no less...yes, we are all spoiled; probably [email protected]@d, as well, if our modern toys begin to dry up in the coming years.
Henderson was the first bike to run coast to coast, And a strong competitor until Schwinn bought them out in 1917. They ran against Excelsior which was the first bike to break 100MPH and many of the design traits found on the Henderson and Excelsior are still used thoughout the world. Many of the rich and famous owned them such as Henry Ford, Howard Hughs and a few more. Believe it or not, they where well ahead of their time. Too bad the Hanlon Brothers could not have brought it back in the 90's when they purchase the rights to the names and formed Excelsior Henderson. I rode one of the new machines they had made in Minnesota and like it so much I purchased stock in the company.....which I lost when they ran into money trouble 99.

·
Registered
237 Posts
a real 125 or 250 cc motocross bike would do that exercise over and over. How long would the wee strom last doing jumps like that?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hmmmmm, might have to pluck up a bit more courage on my Wee.

I'd be happy to try trails like that on my KLR [and have done similar, to some extent] but would baulk at them on my Wee-Strom.

Funny how the mind perceives what is needed to do something. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that its mostly the rider. I am in no way that competent off road. I have carried my wee through some creek crossings with rocks the size of baby heads. It will do it , but not exactlly designed for it. I did all this within 1 week of owning the bike and only dropped it twice:yesnod:. I think for now i may stick to gravel/ dirt roads as I enjoy them more. I am really enjoying the bike for now. It does everything pretty well I ask it to.

·
Registered
702 Posts
All the rider......not the bike.
My thoughts exactly.

But, I was also thinking that if I wore the right jeans, smoke Marlboro reds in a box, and drink Dos Equis that I could get hot chicks and ride to the mountain tops too.

But, maybe not. Maybe it's just practicing to develop the skill....hummmm.:beatnik:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I notice that the rider was tall enough to put a full boot on the ground. I don't have extensive experience off road but to me, that would have to make some difference.

Anywho...I wouldn't buy the Strom to do that. At most, I take it on gravel roads and that's it. If I wanted a bit more off road, I would buy a GS and if I wanted even more then that, I'd buy a trail bike. Each with it's own purpose.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I notice that the rider was tall enough to put a full boot on the ground. I don't have extensive experience off road but to me, that would have to make some difference.

Anywho...I wouldn't buy the Strom to do that. At most, I take it on gravel roads and that's it. If I wanted a bit more off road, I would buy a GS and if I wanted even more then that, I'd buy a trail bike. Each with it's own purpose.
I own a 650 Strom and a GS1200. I swap from one to the other almost daily. The GS is20 kgs heavier than the 650. I am an average off road rider and can take the Strom any place I can take the GS. However it is more work to do this but do this just the same. I have posted often..bottom line.... The 650 Strom is UNDERATED but not an enduro.
In reply to a previous post re. 125 and 250.....I'd rather ride the Strom the miles it takes to get to these tracks. Trailer it?...I don't think so.
It's the rider...it's underated, thats all.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
You can also eat a live goldfish....but, why would you want to.....?

I can't imagine wanting to flog my stocker Wee like that, when a good lightweight dual purpose 250 would be so much more fun under those circumstances. But, if I had unlimited funds, I'd prolly kit my wee out with an Elka shock, and some better fork internals, and let er' rip....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You can also eat a live goldfish....but, why would you want to.....?

I can't imagine wanting to flog my stocker Wee like that, when a good lightweight dual purpose 250 would be so much more fun under those circumstances. But, if I had unlimited funds, I'd prolly kit my wee out with an Elka shock, and some better fork internals, and let er' rip....
Me too and goldfish taste good, just like....fish! I think it would be great fun to ride my Strom like that. BUT, not through the stand of trees. That is surely dangerous but coming out the other side I'd be wearing a big smile.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder how that wee looks after it cartwheels down a hill:headbang::green_lol: Either my DRZ or my CRF would be fine. My strom would be DESTROYED:yikes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts