StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2016 DL650. This is a totally new platform for me, and still learning a lot thanks to this forum. I used to ride an R1200GS LC awhile back, and while most would say that is apples to oranges, I would argue that there is more overlap than one might think, at least in terms of how I intend to use this bike.

I'm hoping to post up more videos as I make modifications and form opinions. Then again, it's very possible laziness will prevent me :serious:

https://youtu.be/N55dIb9TqI4

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

You've got the same bike as me and they're really reliable and go good too .

Nice video .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks! It seems like V-Stroms are pretty popular down under based on all of the posts I see from New Zealand and Australia.
Yeah they're pretty popular .

They're just so versatile and easy to modify depending on your use .

I did a ride to Waihi Falls in the back of beyond ( the Wairarapa ) a couple of weeks back . Some of the roads were gravel for quite a long way and the DL650 just lapped them up with me standing on the wide pegs .

Later it was back to tarseal and coming across a huge traffic grid lock along the Kapiti Coast road .

It was a great feeling to be on a bike going down the outside verge ( whilst still on the road ) while the rest of the cars were stopped .

They're good bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they're pretty popular .

They're just so versatile and easy to modify depending on your use .

I did a ride to Waihi Falls in the back of beyond ( the Wairarapa ) a couple of weeks back . Some of the roads were gravel for quite a long way and the DL650 just lapped them up with me standing on the wide pegs .

Later it was back to tarseal and coming across a huge traffic grid lock along the Kapiti Coast road .

It was a great feeling to be on a bike going down the outside verge ( whilst still on the road ) while the rest of the cars were stopped .

They're good bikes
Beautiful! Nice looking bike too!

It looks like you have Beemer mirrors on yours like I do. Or at least made by the same manufacturer that BMW sources. Did you find they screwed down into the stock posts easily? I had to kind of force mine down and stopped about midway because I was afraid of stripping out the threads completely. Seems like the screw might just be a hair bigger than the stock barn door mirrors. They're in there pretty good halfway down so I've just been rolling with it so far.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My mirrors were knock offs from the local dealer .

I like you and many others thought the stock mirrors are like boats - bloody enormous .

And I didn't have a problem tacking them on they went in easy , about the limit of my mechanical knowledge that & changing the oil / filter , ha !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks! It seems like V-Stroms are pretty popular down under based on all of the posts I see from New Zealand and Australia.
Popular ... I would say ...
Those photos were in the 3rd B-day of the V-Strom club AuStrom in Bright , Victoria, Australia

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Popular ... I would say ...
Those photos were in the 3rd B-day of the V-Strom club AuStrom in Bright , Victoria, Australia
Wow! That is a lot of Strom in one place. Doesn't look like anyone is complaining about not being able to switch off their ABS in the dirt either:wink2: That seems to be the main knock I read folks making on using these bikes for dirt duty.

From my experience riding an R1200GS LC in the dirt, it was very useful to be able to disable the ABS for the rear wheel, while leaving it enabled in the front. That being said, I was doing a lot more extreme dirt riding on that bike (in many ways being pushed beyond my abilities by the people i was riding with), and I don't plan to do any extreme off-roading on the Wee, but who knows what the future holds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow! That is a lot of Strom in one place. Doesn't look like anyone is complaining about not being able to switch off their ABS in the dirt either:wink2: That seems to be the main knock I read folks making on using these bikes for dirt duty.

From my experience riding an R1200GS LC in the dirt, it was very useful to be able to disable the ABS for the rear wheel, while leaving it enabled in the front. That being said, I was doing a lot more extreme dirt riding on that bike (in many ways being pushed beyond my abilities by the people i was riding with), and I don't plan to do any extreme off-roading on the Wee, but who knows what the future holds.

Yes, it depends on how hard you want to go off road. If you are off road technical guy and want to do crazy enduro / motocross things.. wrong bike .
I see no need to disconnect the ABS, but I am not that much offroad , more "easy adventure style" that is still offroad , but nothing of jumping on top of big logs or drifting on mud. Just enjoying the dirt road and the environment. Also, planning my moves so I don't need to do an emergency break on gravel .. oh wait.. I already did that HAHAHA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it depends on how hard you want to go off road. If you are off road technical guy and want to do crazy enduro / motocross things.. wrong bike .
I see no need to disconnect the ABS, but I am not that much offroad , more "easy adventure style" that is still offroad , but nothing of jumping on top of big logs or drifting on mud. Just enjoying the dirt road and the environment. Also, planning my moves so I don't need to do an emergency break on gravel .. oh wait.. I already did that HAHAHA
Yeah I think my days of hard-charging off-road are over, hence part of my decision to go with this platform. The occasional fire road though, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'll enjoy your new ride! I've kept mine in a street bias mode, rarely on a piece of gravel or dirt. Black and silver rocks!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
hmmm short windscreen... how is the wind buffeting ?
I have a love/hate relationship with windshields. I have a tall one, short one, and now real short. The trade-off is clean air vs some turbulent air. I wear earplugs and always a full face. The clean air is smoother. I'm diggin it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts