StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done swapped out this switch
I've got the gas tank half off and I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the connections
Any help appreciated

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I personally have not tried to unplug the turn signal connector. Perhaps if you remove the tupperware panels on the left hand side, you will have a better access to trace the turn signal cable back to the connector plug. While you are in there, you may want to snap a pix or two to help when you route the cable again and reassemble. If you post the pix, it may help someone else in the future, faced with a similar task.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a picture of a throttle body repair last night and I think I see the end of the connector in the background, so the next thing for me is to pull the airbox.
It helped my spirits a lot to be able to think I'm on the right track.
This also drives home your point, I will take some pictures of the area below the air box and try to post them for others either way.

·
Administrator
5,727 Posts
The plug connection is mounted in a very frustrating place behind the radiator and requires removal of the complete airbox to part - and is still a finger numbing problem even then!
Another trooper recently vented his disgust at the surgery needed just to unplug and reconnect the LH switchblock. He was not happy.
Be careful to not drop anything in the throttle bodies, and also to properly reconnect the rubber airbox trumpets during reassembly. That can cause all manner of bad engine issues - and require you to take it all to bits again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success Left bar switch replacement

Yes you must all but remove the air box
To do it again I'd allow 3 hours for this job
You will need a really long phillips head for the front throttle body boot or get creative with tape, bits and a 1/4 inch extension
Don't forget to hook up the connector under the left side of the air box before you reassemble everything unless you have real long thin fingers and are good at praying
I have pictures I just can't figure out how to post them without exceeding the limit

·
Administrator
5,727 Posts
Good job. Well done.
The difficulty in posting images may be because of your low post count, depending on how you are attempting to post the images. You need ten posts up to post links and 20 posts up to engage on the Stromtrooper marketplace. However, it may be possible to post images directly using the "Drag and Drop File Upload" box.
Not exactly sure as I am past those restrictions. They are there to protect us from scammers and hackers so please be patient.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for letting me know
Its embarasing to say but I went to put a new filter in and if I did the switch again I'd first try removing the top of the air filter box and covering the opening with with a thin sheet of wood so nothing could drop in. I think you could then get the the connector enough to release it with a long screwdriver and save pulling on the hoses and connectors loose. If it didn't come easy I wouldn't waste much time though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts