StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have listened to the advice in another forum about owning more than one bike, but after buying and serlling 4 bikes in 18months, I guess I need more than one. After talking with lots of V Strom riders on the road I've decided to buy one. Nothing against my DRZ, but I want something considerably more road worthy.

An interesting note to pass on to all of you Strom owners; it was hard to find a V Strom rider with something bad to say about their bike. That sold me. I'm on the hunt for one of my own.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think I am with you. The only bike that may sway me is the tiger 800, I need to test ride ride them both (and the dl1000 - YOLO) before I decide.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i own an 07 dl650 and 05 drz 400. both are reliable great fun bikes to own. sometimes i want faster better handling but not so much on long hauls!.. when im done with long distance ill look for something else.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I think I am with you. The only bike that may sway me is the tiger 800, I need to test ride ride them both (and the dl1000 - YOLO) before I decide.
If it helps, I chased down an 800R last weekend and once I was past him I was gone, and it wasn't a small speed differential, I was expecting him to torment me until the next straight (his turn to annoy me :) ) but a couple of corners later no Tiger in my mirrors. On paper they should faster. In practice my experience suggests that if they are it's on straight roads only.

The XC is better off road, I've ridden with one, the 21" front ensures that, but was even slower on seal than the R. So if you are expecting the Tiger to be a better performing bike than the DL 650 there's not much if anything in it. (Surprised me as well).

Pete

·
Registered
603 Posts
Pete, not to hijack the thread... but I am not looking for speed, just power. I am presently 260lbs and riding a goldwing. I expect that the wee will be fine almost always, it is just the big hills I question. Need power to push me up without question.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
If it helps, I chased down an 800R last weekend and once I was past him I was gone, and it wasn't a small speed differential, I was expecting him to torment me until the next straight (his turn to annoy me :) ) but a couple of corners later no Tiger in my mirrors. On paper they should faster. In practice my experience suggests that if they are it's on straight roads only.

The XC is better off road, I've ridden with one, the 21" front ensures that, but was even slower on seal than the R. So if you are expecting the Tiger to be a better performing bike than the DL 650 there's not much if anything in it. (Surprised me as well).

Pete
I wouldn't conclude anything from that. He may have been a less experienced rider, wasn't baited by you, or both.

On paper, the Tiger 800 is quicker 0-60 by over a second. I've been lurking over on ADV to get opinions from Wee-to-Tiger converts. Naturally, you expect those guys to sing the praises of their new bikes, so unless you are are looking to make the change (I'm giving the new "XR" some thought, down the road a year or 2...) don't even read the Tiger thread. Trust me, you'll read comments like "chalk and cheese" and very quickly get jealous.
I love my Wee, but I've also sunk a bunch of money into upgrades and its still down about 28 hp on the Tiger. It's undergone a "refinement" this year including a claimed 17% efficiency gain, something to make us "sons of practicality" sit up. It isn't in dealers yet. I'm anxious to get confirmation of that on the ADV forum when they're here and on the road. I won't pay a mileage penalty to leave the Wee, and if the claim is true, there wouldn't be one. (Sorry to diverge.)
Just saying'...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I should have listened to the advice in another forum about owning more than one bike, but after buying and serlling 4 bikes in 18months, I guess I need more than one. After talking with lots of V Strom riders on the road I've decided to buy one. Nothing against my DRZ, but I want something considerably more road worthy.

An interesting note to pass on to all of you Strom owners; it was hard to find a V Strom rider with something bad to say about their bike. That sold me. I'm on the hunt for one of my own.
I know of one coming up for sale with low miles. It is owned By a lady rider.
It is a little to big for her and she laid it down once. We helped put some parts back on it. Still runs great. If you would like I'll look in to it. 07 I think don't hold me to that.
There are a few on KSL.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts