StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered 1,000 time but here goes for 1,001. I have an 06 650 with stock gearing on it & it seems fine for every day riding. I am doing a 4,000 mile road ride this summer. I am toying with going down 1 or 2 teeth on the rear or up one on the countershaft just for the long freeway miles. What is everyones thoughts on this will it hurt the 1st gear starts, mileage or any thing else. What have you all gone to for gearing???

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I went 1 tooth less on the counter shaft sprocket as I found the stock gearing too tall to suit me. Many have gone the other way though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of the first things I did to the bike was add a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. I spend a great deal of my riding at 60 mph or above, which is why I went taller. No noticeable difference leaving from a stop. A minor difference in acceleration through the gears, but I still usually only need to roll on the throttle to pass at speeds over 70. The best advice I can give you is just try it and see. Cheap and easy to do. I have a KLR with 14-17 tooth sprockets depending on how I plan to use the bike.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did the 16 tooth sprocket too. I spend most of my time on highways and it makes things much more mellow at speed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
16 tooth front sprocket will work fine for you.
Plus........less rev's on hiway
Minus......not as quick passing,might have to shift more in the twisties

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my wee used with a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket installed. As I bought the bike primarily for commuting, it is actually kind of nice. Starting from stops may be slightly hard on the clutch, but only if I'm going for a brisk start. I've got my superduke for playing in the twisties/on the track, so I don't mind that the wee is a bit more commute/highway trip oriented. That said, I did run through an offroad park a few weeks back with some adventure riders, and the bike did fine. I didn't get above second gear in the dirt, so shorter gearing certainly would have made my life easier, but wasn't required.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
One tooth on the front equals about three on the rear. Much change on the rear uses up the adjustment range, so the chain length needs to be changed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
16/45

Initially, I went from the stock 15t to a 16t, I noticed a difference but not dramatic, Then, I changed the chain & both sprockets (30,000 miles).

I now use a 16t X 45t. Per Blair's (fromSV Racing) suggestion, This is what I was looking for--Keep in mind that everyone's riding style and terrain is different--It works for me, no regrets & I no longer keep looking for a taller gear. :thumbup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
gearing

Yesterday replaced sprockets and chain using 16/45 ratios. Had a 16/47 so was only about 200 rpm at 65 change. Would guess the rpm's at 60 in 5th is about the same as the stock 15/47s 6th gear. I like the relaxed level of engine speed with this set-up and a snick or two of the shifter transforms the action.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I'm putting in my 2 cents late, here. I've been running 1 up and 2 down (16/45) thorugh two sets of chains and get about a 500 rpm drop at speed (70mphish). Although my last set I got from SV Racing and only got about 10,000 miles on them- actually I'm still coasting on the worn out set, catching, chattering, just waiting on them to tear up something besides the chain/sprockets. Am looking now for a new set. I was getting up to 15,000 on a set. I'd love to get more without paying 400.00 for a titanium (II) sprocket.
I stay on the highway all the time (120 mile commute round trip every day), but have at least 2 miles of gravel road, also. I've read not so good things about Renthal, and honestly have no idea which is the best way to go in replacing my set.
BTW, rear sprocket is SO worn out. Haven't inspected the front one yet. Have to make a decision on what kind/brand to use in a couple days, most.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have the 16-47 and like the lower rpm at 70. i did the plus1 minus2 on my tiger and that worked good for that bike.
for the dl i will stick with 16-47 when i change the chain/sprockets later this summer 25k and they both still look good, but then this bike is a commuter and never goes off road.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,466 Posts
Does anyone know if you can go to a 17 countershaft with the stock chain? I may just get a 16 and a 45 rear. I think the '12 650 has more low end power and seems a lot smoother in the 4500-5000 range than 5000-5500. Might benefit more from taller gearing than the pre '12 Wee. I think the 16/45 should drop rpms about 500 at 70mph?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I at first went up two on the counter sprocket, from OEM 15 to a new 17 which I found too tall in any town riding and too sluggish on the back roads. Now at 16T up front all is good.
My OEM 47T rear sprocket looks almost new with over 70kms on the clock. No hooking of any kind, perhaps a smidgeon open but It will last the next chain too. The OEM chain was replaced at 56000kms thats around 33500miles.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am needing my fourth chain/sprockets at 48,500 miles. I must be doing something wrong. I'm not a 'beat everybody off at the light' type rider, either. But I"m also not a lightweight.
My original OEM chain did last longest, but I also bought my second chain from the dealer and they installed it.
I want to know how you got the high mileage. What do you use for lubricant on the chain?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I have run 16/47 and 17/47. Both are fine, love the 17 though. I am not a revver, love it in the 4-5.5k range.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Sulo, could your chain be too tight? that'll shorten the life . a bit loose is better than too tight. (Because the front sprocket is higher than the swing arm pivot, when the suspension is compressed, the chain tightens.)

People are using just about anything for lube. Some report good results with a weak lube like WD-40 (not my choice). Tri-Flow works well. PJ1 Blue works well. duPont MultiPurpose Teflon spray works well. Automatic transmission fluid worKs well. Gear oil works well. Chain saw bar oil works well. Just about every chain lube works well, tho some are messier than others. Lube every other tank of gas, but every tank in the wet or in grit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gearing

I finally pick up my chain & sprockets on Saturday. I have new Metezler Tourance's to install when I do the the chain & sprockets. I ordered steel sprockets & and o-ring chain. This is not my DRZ or my YZF so I don't care about the o-ring chain drag or the steel sprockets weight. I have 14.5K miles on the stock chain & sprockets with very little wear showing but I will be on the road for 4,000 miles and I don't want to wear a chain, sprockets or tires out while on the road. I will update once I get it all changed & get a ride in. Thanks for all the good input & thoughts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts