StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i am relatively new to the site and wonder if anyone can help me on the subject of gearing. My new/used K5 wee strom is a little low geared in my estimation (110km at 5,000rpm) would like to know if anyone has geared up their bike and if so by how many teeth, front or rear ? and what is standard gearing combination ?
Would appreciate the feed back.

Bundy_gandalf

·
Registered
292 Posts
The stock gearing is a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 47 tooth rear sprocket. Many people switch to a 16 tooth front sprocket for a little more top end on the highway (wont be looking for that 7th gear). I was going to myself, but I think i'll stick with the stock setup for now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree...in my estimation, the Wee is perfect for anything from dirt roads to two lane highways. It's not good for trail riding and not ideal for interstate highways. I do run interstates (only when I have to), though at around 6k rpms and it does just fine. I'd much prefer to stay off interstates, I just don't find them much fun. I wouldn't want my first gear any higher, so I'm staying with the stock gearing. I think Suzuki got it right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi everyone i am relatively new to the site and wonder if anyone can help me on the subject of gearing. My new/used K5 wee strom is a little low geared in my estimation (110km at 5,000rpm) would like to know if anyone has geared up their bike and if so by how many teeth, front or rear ? and what is standard gearing combination ?
Would appreciate the feed back.

Bundy_gandalf
This subject has been discussed at great length. Try search. Bottom line, it depends on 1) how you use the bike and 2) your personal preferences.

The wee engine has plenty of mid-range torque and can easily pull higher gearing. It also revs easily and smoothly and can run comfortably all day at 6K+ rpms. It really only matters in 1st and 6th since all the ones in middle overlap anyhow.

I'm running a 16T sprocket on my '04 because I like the slightly more relaxed revs at highway speeds. Having come to the wee from a relatively slow-turning ST1100, it just feels more natural to me. Riders who come to the wee from cruisers will probably feel the same way. OTOH, those who come to the wee from an inline 4 or a small displacement twin will probably not be bothered by the busyness of the engine at all.

Theoretically, the bike should be capable of slightly better fuel mileage with the taller gear - that would depend on how the rider uses the throttle of course. FWIW, I can get high sixties (67-69 mpg) on 10% ethanol fuel if I work at it. I use 6th as an overdrive and usually ride in 5th in urban/suburban areas (i.e below about 55 mph). All else being equal, sprocket life should be slighter better with the larger sprockets since the wear is spread over a larger area. For the record changing to a larger sprocket will not increase the "top end" since the stock wee (mine anyhow) won't quite pull redline (10.5K rpm) in 5th much less 6th even with stock gearing.

If you rarely ride on high speed roads or if you ride 2-up you'll probably be happier with stock gearing. OTOH, if you spend a good deal of time 1-up at over-the-road speeds, you might like the taller gear better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have switched to a 17 and love it. The bike is quite capable of pulling at that ratio, but 6th does become OD. I spend all of my time on the street and probably would not like the 17 if I was riding dirt/gravel roads, much less trails. I don't believe gas mileage will improve, I did it to get a more relaxed feel at speed. I usually travel at an indicated 80 to 90 MPH.
bill.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Changing to a 16 tooth front sprocket and a taller windshield (Givi in my case) made the Wee perfect for me. 30,000 miles and counting.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hi everyone i am relatively new to the site and wonder if anyone can help me on the subject of gearing. My new/used K5 wee strom is a little low geared in my estimation (110km at 5,000rpm)
This has been discussed exhaustively, but the question no one has asked yet: why do you perceive that it is "a little low geared"?

It's a high-revving engine. It likes it that way. What's the problem?

Seems like most people who convert do it for weird subjective reasons (they just don't like the engine speed), which seems silly to me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This has been discussed exhaustively, but the question no one has asked yet: why do you perceive that it is "a little low geared"?

It's a high-revving engine. It likes it that way. What's the problem?

Seems like most people who convert do it for weird subjective reasons (they just don't like the engine speed), which seems silly to me.
Mine is quite comfy spinning between 6 and 7K. I figure it is designed to spin so let her go.

If I were to do anything it would be to drop a tooth or two. I rarely go on the super slab and do a lot of trails so the extra slower ability without playing with the clutch would be welcome.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
One of the nice things about a chain final drive is it can be easily adjusted to fit individual tastes. Each rider can determine what best suits their needs.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Had a battle going on in my head about gearing for a few months after I got the Wee. Glad I left it alone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gearing

After the break in period, I started let her spin up which felt really weird after piloting a Harley for so long, but it seemed that the more I reved it, the smoother it got. My imagination?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my wee for a couple months now, really love it. I was also thinking about going to a 16t front sprocket for a while, purely for lower revs and better mpg on the slab. But I've come to the conclusion that the engine just feels so good at 5-7k that I'm just going to leave it alone and enjoy the revs. I'm averaging about 46 mpg and that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For me, changing to a 16T has made the bike perfect. 500rpm lower at highway speeds and no noticable acceleration loss in town.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just switched over to 16/45, which seems to be the perfect balance for me on slab and twisties. It was definitely too tall for dirt roads. I am still unsure how it will be fully loaded with cases.

I tried 17/47, and loved it on superslab, but it was difficult in surface traffic and on steep graded twisties.

16/47 was too busy for me on superslab.

With 16/45, I'm only turning 6k at an indicated 90mph, no more searching for 7th, which I did at 16/47.

FYI, 16/45 is approximately halfway between 16/47 and 17/47. When I wear my countersprocket out, I think I will try 15/43.

While we are on the topic of over posted questions, I have another one to throw in:

Which bike is better, a 650 or a 1000?

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
I just switched over to 16/45, which seems to be the perfect balance for me on slab and twisties. It was definitely too tall for dirt roads. I am still unsure how it will be fully loaded with cases.

I tried 17/47, and loved it on superslab, but it was difficult in surface traffic and on steep graded twisties.

16/47 was too busy for me on superslab.

With 16/45, I'm only turning 6k at an indicated 90mph, no more searching for 7th, which I did at 16/47.

FYI, 16/45 is approximately halfway between 16/47 and 17/47. When I wear my counter sprocket out, I think I will try 15/43.

:) Hi, remember, 15/43 is almost identical to 16/47

I really like the 16/45 combination myself,

Keep my Stromtrooper Chain and both Sprockets Combination at $155, all in, and $12 Flat Rate Shipping, anywhere in the USA, in mind when you do your next swap,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a 16/45 combo and I love it! I just took my wife in the twisties with it on Saturday and never had a problem with it pulling the grade. Its really nice on the superslab too. It is very managable on the dirt roads I have had it on, as long as you don't try to ride it like a dirt bike.............

·
Administrator
13,354 Posts
I changed my front sprocket to 16 at about 10,000 km (roughly 6,000 miles). I have about 60,000 km on it now.

I like the feel of it with the gearing and don't find I am reaching for 7th as often. I have recorded my mileage since day one and can't say I saw any change in fuel mileage, however.

..Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sprocket sizes/ratios

15-47 ratio 3.13333 Stk gearing
16-47 ratio 2.93
15-43 ratio 2.86
16.45 ratio 2.8125
17.47 ratio 2.7647

Hope this helps everyone, just noted a few as people were discussing different options

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
The PO of my 11 We had 16/47. I went to 15/47 the bike felt better in a perky way. Easier to control traction on dirt roads. More responsive in the NC mountain twisties.
Thinking those engineers know a thing or two.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The beauty of chain drive is that you can change and change back if you want to. A lot of bikes that are sold in the U.S. and Europe are sold in europe with a front sprocket 1 tooth taller than the U.S. model. The europeans are less into drag races. After you have gotten used to your bike with the stock gearing then you can try a different sprocket and see which you like best. I have a 16 t on my wee, I do not consider it a dirt bike and I almost never carry a passenger. I spend a lot of time in gears other than 6th. I feel no real pressure to get it into 6th. and when it is in 6th I don't mind down shifting when appropriate. try a 16t and don't throw your 15t away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts