StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the fork fluid on the Wee this weekend. All went fine, took pictures, put it back together the way it came apart, etc.

When I went to reinstall the forks, the "clutch" side fork was longer than the "throttle" side fork :confused:. We realized this when we went to put on the front wheel and the axle holes wouldn't line up. My wife smartly recommended loosening the triple clamp bolts, sliding the fork up temporarily, installing the axle, then compressing the fork and tightening the clamps again. Each fork is now flush with the top of the top triple clamp. We tightened the fork clamps, and lowered the bike onto both wheels to let everything settle (bolts were snug but not torqued down).

I had to remove the wheel and forks again (trying to adjust the steering head bearing...) and the same problem happened again. Fearing something was amiss, we removed each spring and measured them (stock) and they were the same height, as were the spacers in each fork. Once again, during reassembly, the fork had to be raised in the clamp, axle put through, then lowered in the clamp.

I don't think my forks are bent. I have only dropped the bike once at a stand still at a stop sign, and it has ridden fine since I've had it. The only problem I've had is if I take my hands off the bars between 35-50 MPH while de-accelerating, the bars shake a whole bunch (hence the steering head bearing adjustment). The tires were properly inflated (rear Tourance, front Trail Attack).

Any recommendations? I've done my best with the steering head bearing adjustment, and just want to put it together and try it out...

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
How are you supporting the front end? For checking this sort of thing it's best if there's no weight on the forks.

You can check for a bent tube by removing the wheel and fender and spinning each fork leg in the triple. If it's bent the wobble will be obvious.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Handle bar wobble

With regard to the handlebar shake with no hands on bars when decelerating. I have found in the past with different bikes and tires that an extra 4/5PSI above normal inflation on front tire,will cure the shake or wobble. This has happened to me when the tire is nearing or has reached its useable life. Try and see if this works for you. I believe this a common indication of low tread level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts