StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously owned an 02 DL1000 and am trying to clarify my choices.
Considering the DL650 which they did not have out when I bought my 02.
Hows the 650 for the larger guys especially with the bike loaded or two up riding. Concerned that the motor will be over loaded. Is the 650 the same bike with the same major components as the 1000 less 350 cc. Also what is the carrying capacity of the DL650. The DL1000 can carry 465lbs of rider and gear wieght, how much can the 650 carry.

Any info for a correct consumer choice would be appreciated.

I will test ride the 650.

Thanks Scooter

P

·
0 Posts
Hmm, i'm 215 pounds and I find it to be quite a comfy ride, and it doesn't seem to have any problems supporting me at all. As for the weight loaddowns, don't know, I generally don't go for the overly long hauls where you hafta pack everything but the kitchen sink in to make it so I don't worry to much about it, motorcycle riding is a form of recreation for me, not transeport :)

Not any problem doubling either though, *shrug* sorry coudln't give you more detailed information man.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Per the 5/04 MCN review of the DL650, GVWR is 925 lbs., wet weight is 471.5 lbs., leaving carrying capacity of 453.5 lbs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm 6'1" 230, only have had her 1 week ( DL650 ) have rode a few 30 min to 1 hour rides and two 2 hour rides.
The bike fits me well, only thing is if I were doing alot of highway speed
riding it would need a taller windsheild.
It seems to have plenty of power to haul just about anything around.

R

·
0 Posts
scooter,

Im 240 and mrs is 115 and the 650 hauls both our * around nicely.

Enjoy

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
weight vs power

I'm about 195 and bike runs great...with the better 1/2 on my bike adding about 140 (don't tell her I told you)...bike notices a little difference but overall not too bad... with just the driver...you'll like the extra power.
Have not driven with gear yet...

J

·
0 Posts
FERGIE said:
I'm 6'1" 230, only have had her 1 week ( DL650 ) have rode a few 30 min to 1 hour rides and two 2 hour rides.
The bike fits me well, only thing is if I were doing alot of highway speed
riding it would need a taller windsheild.
It seems to have plenty of power to haul just about anything around.
I'm 260 and I agree with Fergie. I've only given my wife a quick jaunt up the street because I don't want to overstress the engine during break in. It seems to have plenty of power.

R

·
0 Posts
A quote from the 'other' board that may provide some insight...

I'm riding a 650.. went for a ride with some 1000 and find it hard to keep up with them.
Some of the 1000 riders even have pillions. I'm riding alone and on full throttle!

If you plan to ride alone and doesn't like to speed too much.. than 650 will do.
If you plan to do 2up riding and want more hp .. than 1000 is the one.

Melvin
Along these lines, perhaps what we need here is a group ride where we mix it up with 650s and 1k's -- would this help answer most questions/concerns? -- some real world feedback.

I know, how about an SS1K - two-up with gear :)

Personally, I agree with Melvin and his final two statements; add to it that the 650 is probably a better local, commuter option.

Dirt worthiness is a whole 'nother rant

Cheers

-Jack

J

·
0 Posts
rhinoWERX said:
Along these lines, perhaps what we need here is a group ride where we mix it up with 650s and 1k's -- would this help answer most questions/concerns? -- some real world feedback.
That would be a lot of fun 8) Too bad we all don't just live down the street. Cincinnati is centrally located though :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I know that the bike is plenty powerfull for me (200 out of the shower) my stich, boots, helmet, tankbag (15), topcase (27), side cases (26x2),helen2wheels bag one (5), h2w bag 2 (12), and a bunch of tools under the seat. let see that is : 200+15+27+52+5+12= 311 + a little more for tools, centerstand, engine gards, rack mounts for luggage, and such and I am looking at about a constant load of 350 lbs. I have covered 15000 miles in this fation and have found that the bike is strong enough to move it around well, maybe not the strongest nor the quickest ride but hey it is only a 650. Fully loaded I can do first gear roll on wheelies and get it up in second if I abuse the clutch a bit. I have caughten air fuly loaded, empty, and just the other day 2 up with me at 200 and my friend at 160 plus a bit of junk in the topbox. I find that the suspension is complient enough for up to about 11" of air with that weight. so, all in all I find that the bike is ok for 2 up riding, carying gear, or both but dont expect to be puting gsers to shame or keeping up with busas either, it is only a 650 after all. I do think that you should be able to move better than a gs 650 with the weight so that is something. besides if ya ever go off road with it ask your self if ya want another 40 lbs to be lugging around.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
keeping in mind I am a total newbie to the mc world

465lbs

ok, me 400

65lbs of other stuff?

is this pushing the limits of a weestrom for commuting on the hiway?

or is the dl1000 something I should just trade up to when I get the experience to handle a larger and more powerfull engine?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm about 190lbs and the wife is about 140lbs.
The 650 handles it with ease....you've got to use the box a bit more but the little motor thrives on revs.
You'll run out of steam before the bike does! :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey pete

when you both are on it, what gear are you in around 45-50 mph?

70mph?

80mph?

just wondering

trying to simulate

·
Registered
91 Posts
Me and the significant other went for an overnight trip on our 650 and had no probs whatsoever with the power. The two of us plus a loaded top box weigh around 200kg (not sure what that is in pounds, when are you guys goin' metric???) and our group consisted of 3 Ducati ST4s, 2 ST3s, 2 VFR800s and a VFR750F.......and we smoked the lot of them through the twities! It's all about the way you ride it, you can't just expect to leave a little 650 in top gear all the time, you gotta use that 'box and keep the revs up. With a passenger i wouldn't normally change into 6th until I was doing 100km/h (60mph?) or so. Mine will happily cruise all day at 150km/h (umm....almost 100mph!) two-up, and fule economy remains terrific.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts