Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two issues here.

First, I had a zero speed drop due to a "panic stop" to avoid becoming a cager's hood ornament. The "toe piece" of the lever completely sheared off. Inside it looked like it sas made out of what in the old days was called "pot metal". It looked exactly like the metal used in my old matchbox cars. For a "critical" piece of hardware that can easily see some "abuse" from time to time one would think it would be manufactured a little more robustly.
Second, after the above "failure" I contacted both of the local Suzuki Dealers, and neither had the part in stock. To make matters worse they both said it would take seven (7) workdays to get one in stock. Seven days!! Come on it's not like these parts never break. Good grief there is even an aftermarket on these things with folding ends to avoid this exact problem. If you're not going to make the part more robust then Suzuki should try to ensure that their licensed dealers keep at least one or two of these things in stock...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Hand and foot levers are designed to break so they don't damage what they are connected to. Otherwise, you'd be writing a letter to Suzuki about how the lever should be made to break away so it wouldn't bend the shifter shaft which requires splitting the cases to fix. Have you seen http://www.vstroma.com/FldgFootShiftLever.htm ? It might be your solution.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When mine broke I drilled a hole in the at the tip of the shifter. Took a Bolt, washers, lock tight and some rubber hose. stuck the bolt with the washer thru and tighted it down with the nut. The pushed the rubber hose over the bolt and washers. about 65,000 mile later It's still there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
YEP mine broke off at first drop, drilled and threaded it and put in 6mm bolt with standard rubber over. it's since been over again bending bolt u shape, now carry spare bolt under seat. ''all good''

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hand and foot levers are designed to break so they don't damage what they are connected to. Otherwise, you'd be writing a letter to Suzuki about how the lever should be made to break away so it wouldn't bend the shifter shaft which requires splitting the cases to fix. Have you seen http://www.vstroma.com/FldgFootShiftLever.htm ? It might be your solution.
Studebaker folding foot shifter already installed...but thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
7-10 days for a part order is not surprising. Unless you want to pay to expedite it, which is murder! I ordered a lot of parts for my ol GS and can tell you I quickly developed a method where I ordered everything I could possibly need so I only waited one ten day thing. That foldign one does look promising... adding to my farkle list

·
Registered
25 Posts
Broken Shift lever.

My wife had the same thing happen with her SV650 on a trip thru Nova Scotia. She was able to continue the rest of the ride (900 miles+) by doing some creative footwork to kick the remaining lever when needed. We fixed it the same way as Turboderek describes with drilling out the lever and putting a bolt and nut thru it. Its a pretty good fix and her's is still working well.

I personally would prefer to see a dirtbike style shift lever with a folding piece. Its a cheap upgrade and they could pull the parts straight off a DR650 or a DRz400S.

"First, I had a zero speed drop due to a "panic stop" to avoid becoming a cager's hood ornament. The "toe piece" of the lever completely sheared off. Inside it looked like it sas made out of what in the old days was called "pot metal". It looked exactly like the metal used in my old matchbox cars. For a "critical" piece of hardware that can easily see some "abuse" from time to time one would think it would be manufactured a little more robustly.
Second, after the above "failure" I contacted both of the local Suzuki Dealers, and neither had the part in stock. To make matters worse they both said it would take seven (7) workdays to get one in stock. Seven days!! Come on it's not like these parts never break. Good grief there is even an aftermarket on these things with folding ends to avoid this exact problem. If you're not going to make the part more robust then Suzuki should try to ensure that their licensed dealers keep at least one or two of these things in stock..."

·
Registered
651 Posts
I feel your frustration but there is no way a dealer can possibly stock everything that can break on every bike they carry. It would be too expensive for them to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put a studebaker folding lever on, too. BTW, it's steel, so it might bend not break - which means you can bend it back in an emergency. That item should be standard OEM on both sides of the bike, if Suzuki is going to promote the V-strom as dual purpose. Plus it looks cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts