StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop me if I'm going to get myself into trouble here.

My bike has no engine problems, but it is getting up there. I only bought it this year and put some basic maintenance and a few thousand miles on it. It maybe burns some oil, nothing too serious. Actually it runs great, but I'm considering going on a very long trip next year, say 10,000 miles.

I can buy a 2007 650 engine complete with throttle bodies, airbox, and wiring harness and other electrical bits, relatively cheaply. I don't know if the engines are compatible, all I know is they changed to a dual spark plug head that year. Wikipedia says the wheelbase has changed, I'm assuming the motor geometry and mounting is not affected...

The problem is that I am no mechanic. I can change a tire and replace sprockets and fork seals, but I've never removed a camshaft, or done a top end... But I can go by the service manual, and it might just be a matter of following instructions. I glanced through it and everything seemed doable... there were some gaskets to replace and some special tools mentioned.

Knowing that it takes me four times as long to do something the first time as the third time, is this something I could do in... Less than 40 hours?

·
Registered
467 Posts
40 hrs of wrenching? - maybe.

But I would budget 40 days of head scratching and searching for those special tools.

Maybe budget 40 beers for getting hands-on advice from someone local who knows what's-what when you need helped out of a bind.

As for if it's possible -- if you take this on, please keep us posted. And take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The thorttle bodies would be different too. 10,000 miles isn't that much. I would pick up an the extra engine if I were you if I coudl get it for a few hundred

·
Registered
980 Posts
Swapping the engine itself should be a breeze - I suspect it could be done easily enough over the course of a weekend - as best I can tell, all the mounting points are the same. However, the wiring changes needed may be a bigger issue, because to make the new engine run properly, you will almost certainly need to install an 07 or later ECM. I don't know if the wiring harnesses are the same or not.
The exhaust may also be an issue, but I don't think so from a mounting standpoint - the mounting flanges/bolts for my 05 look just like the ones from my 09. Running an 07 engine without a catalytic converter may require making some programming adjustments.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
S
My bike has no engine problems, but it is getting up there.
You didn't state the mileage on this engine -- what is "up there"? There are some fairly high-mileage SV/DL engines out there that seem to be doing fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ad says the ECM comes with, but I don't even know where it is located on the bike :tongue_smilie:

I am budgeting my 40 hours at 1 hour per day by the way, and won't include head-scratching in my hourly total. Problem-solving, yes, head-scratching no.

Just over 90k on my V-Strom.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The ad says the ECM comes with, but I don't even know where it is located on the bike :tongue_smilie:

I am budgeting my 40 hours at 1 hour per day by the way, and won't include head-scratching in my hourly total. Problem-solving, yes, head-scratching no.

90K is nothing, mine is still running strong, uses no oil.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Well, it's your time and money, of course, but unless there's some specific problem with that engine, I doubt you'll find many people who'd think it's time to retire it.

May I suggest that you send an oil sample to Blackstone before you go to all this trouble? For about $30, they can tell you a lot about the wear state of your engine. Here is an example report from my '08 'Strom at 13k miles, and one from my BMW K75S at 88k miles.

Cheers -d

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, it's your time and money, of course, but unless there's some specific problem with that engine, I doubt you'll find many people who'd think it's time to retire it.

May I suggest that you send an oil sample to Blackstone before you go to all this trouble? For about $30, they can tell you a lot about the wear state of your engine. Here is an example report from my '08 'Strom at 13k miles, and one from my BMW K75S at 88k miles.

Cheers -d
Thanks for the info! I just ordered a sample kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stop me if I'm going to get myself into trouble here.

I can buy a 2007 650 engine complete with throttle bodies, airbox, and wiring harness and other electrical bits, relatively cheaply. I don't know if the engines are compatible, all I know is they changed to a dual spark plug head that year. Wikipedia says the wheelbase has changed, I'm assuming the motor geometry and mounting is not affected...

Knowing that it takes me four times as long to do something the first time as the third time, is this something I could do in... Less than 40 hours?
I needed to replace my K8 engine because of a crank problem, bought a K6 engine and installed it into my frame without any modifications....

Airbox, throttle bodies, ecu etc. are still K8....only the 'Hardware' was changed 1:1.

The only difference is the second spark plug that is now not needed on my frame.

In your case i'm 100% sure that the opposite will work (from K5 to K7) but you should buy the dual spark ignition coils together with the engine....everything else can be donated from your frame/engine.

p.s.

i needed 6. hours for the job :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts