StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 DL650 and have just bought a secondhand pair of '08DL1000 forks with intention of fitting them to the 650. Has anyone here ever tried it and what was the result?

The plan is to use the 650 fork bottoms (to match the 650 wheel caliper guard etc) and probably the 650 springs, with suitable spacers. Everything else should fit.

If anyone has tried this, or has any thoughts, I'd be pleased to hear them, particularly regarding re shimming the compression and rebound valves. I did find a guy on another forum who has done this, but apart from him reporting a positive result 2 years ago, hasn't provided any more info

Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I THINK the fork tubes are different sizes but I could be wrong on that. If so it's going to be hard work. Not impossible, just hard.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I THINK the fork tubes are different sizes but I could be wrong on that. If so it's going to be hard work. Not impossible, just hard.
Dia. is the same on both.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
What would be the benefit? stronger longer tubes?
Ditto: What is the goal?

In the SV650 world most folks swap out for 750 GSXR forks. I know it is not the same starting point as with a wee. But curious what you expect at the end.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The DL1000's have cartridge forks not just a tube with holes in it for damping. In practice they weren't set up that well in the gen 1 bikes but that can be fixed. IF the fork tube diameter is the same it's a good idea.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ditto: What is the goal?

In the SV650 world most folks swap out for 750 GSXR forks. I know it is not the same starting point as with a wee. But curious what you expect at the end.
The main objective is better suspension on the 650. I've played around for years with emulators, oils, welding rebound holes, springs etc etc. I've got it pretty good but just know it can be better. The DL1000 forks have cartridges so I'm hoping for an improvement. Will report back when the job is done sometime in the next week or two. It actually looks a pretty simple job to swap, getting them tuned will be the difficult bit I think. I did come across one person on another forum who had done the swap, he used the standard DL1000 cartridges but altered the compression stack by rearranging the shims to give a softer compression stroke, he seemed very happy with the result. I'll strip and clean the DL1000 forks first, at least that way I'll know what I'm starting with.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's happened. I purchased a s/h pair of 2008 DL1000 forks and a pair of new 'old stock' 2007 DL650 fork lowers. I then dismantled the 1000 forks, installed racetech compression and rebound valves plus 85 springs then reassembled using the DL650 lowers, filled with oil and installed to the bike. It's now a lovely ride.

The only reason I replaced the lowers was to accommodate the DL650 axel which is a smaller dia than the DL1000.

Mines a 2007 650 but I can't see why this won't work for Gen 2 an 3 650's too.

And I now have a set of spare forks.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Would it be cheaper to buy "emulators" or "intiminators"? They are accessory valves that drop into 650 forks. Some drilling required.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would it be cheaper to buy "emulators" or "intiminators"? They are accessory valves that drop into 650 forks. Some drilling required.

Cheers

RLBranson
Yes it would be cheaper and I've already been down that road, certainly emulators are a step up from standard suzuki suspension but the revalved DL1000 cartridges I've now got installed are best suspension upgrade I've found so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad I came across this post. Ordering some dl1000 forks online. Going to try it on a 2012 dl650. My old tubes are scratched on mine anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Having messed quite a bit with both 650 and 1000 forks, I'm not much of a believer in this swap. You can get the 650 forks to work very well with emulators, modded damper rods and oil.
Cartridge forks have theoretical advantages, but exploiting it isn't easy, and sometimes not possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts