StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a sv650,my question is regarding comfort my sv has abrupt ride over rough surfaces and because of this the fun factor on long rides is not the best,how is the comfort on a dl series bike in comparision to the sv?

D

·
0 Posts
I travel many miles every year on bikes...two coast-to-coast runs so far and MANY week-long trips. I have owned both BMW R and K bikes, a '97 Triumph Trophy (sport touring), Victory Cruiser, and two Moto Guzzis. Although I've only had my 'Strom one week :oops:, I can tell the ergonomics are better than anything else I've owned....even with the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
SV to DL

I also came off of a SV650. The DL is much more comfortable. I have long legs and the SV was a bit cramped. I'm not at all cramped on my DL. The seat is 100% better. I thought the SV seat got uncomfortable at 100 miles. The DL seat is much more supportive and I can go 200 miles easy without getting uncomfortable.

W

·
0 Posts
The most noticable comfort-oriented improvements between the SV and the DL models are the 'Strom's more comfortable stock seat, and the more "open and spacious" riding position for your legs. If your inseam is 32" or so, you'll notice a big difference in comfort.

Overall, few bikes can compare to the 'Stroms ergonomics. Investing in an high-quality aftermarket or custom saddle will also increase your comfort level tremendously.

Compared to the SV, the DL's fork is a lot softer sprug. Depending on your weight, you might find it a bit too soft. Some riders who are over 200lbs or who desire a more taut and sporty front end suspension have opted for stiffer fork springs.

P

·
0 Posts
Woofy said:
You'll also notice the DL's fork is a lot softer sprug. Depending on your weight, you might find it a bit too soft. Some riders who are over 200lbs or who desire a more taut and sporty front end suspension have opted for stiffer fork springs.
Hmm... Not everyone though. I weigh 223 and I have my front preload set to the softest position. I was tired of the jarring over the cement slab roads that are so prevalent where I live. My rear shock is set to the 4th position (next to firmest). I have not altered the damping setting on the rear shock. This setup of firm rear / soft front also seems to help a bit with crosswind stability. I have not encountered any problem with the front forks bottoming out either. In my opinion, the front forks are a bit oversprung, and not as compliant as they should be.

Note that I also have a Corbin seat, which I think positions me a little further back on the bike (about an inch), and I have the factory trunk and sidecases. I think both of these things bias weight distribution toward the rear some. I use the bike primarily for sport touring.

·
Registered
351 Posts
s

I have found that the rear shock has become softer over time. I'm about to put in a spacer to give me more preload on the rear. I have also put the preload caps on my 02 and know can finally feel the road. The factory seat has also become softer and needs in provement. The bike has excellent ergonomics and can eat mileage in comfort.

Scooter

C

·
0 Posts
So what's wrong with me?
I was disappointed in the seat on the DL650, mind you just trying it at two shows, one time on it for 15 minutes. I am describing the feel with one foot on the peg, one on the floor, or both on the floor.
It felt like my thighs were being spread out to the side instead of dropping down and so the edges of the seat were digging into me.
Height 5'10, wt. 255, inseam 32

It's the only time I left a showroom with an odd feeling like a groin pull.
The Yamaha YZF600 was a beautiful fit in any position for me.

Too bad. I've been thinking about going to the DL650.

T

·
0 Posts
Charlie, I think it's a mistake to rule out the bike because of the way it feels standing still. I've bought bikes before because they felt perfect in the showroom, but later grown to dislike them while in motion.
Did that make any sense?LOL! In other words, I think you need to score a test ride someplace.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm 6"0" and it took me a few trips to feel comfortable. I still still feel myself reaching for the ground. If you stop at an awkward angle you realize that this is a tall bike. If I lived in the city I would never get this bike. A few people mentioned that they are shorter and they have no problem. I just don't see it. But I guess if I spent that kind of money I would have to convince myself too. Trust your instinct. Most times it is correct.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention that I am talking about the 650. As far as the seat comfort it seems ok. I usually blame my ass and not the seat. When I was 18 I rode worst things and did not complain.

P

·
0 Posts
texbridge said:
Charlie, I think it's a mistake to rule out the bike because of the way it feels standing still. I've bought bikes before because they felt perfect in the showroom, but later grown to dislike them while in motion.
Yeh, I have to agree with Texbridge on this one, although I had an opposite experience. I sat on my last bike, a Kawasaki Concours, in the showroom. It seemed like my long legs were considerably cramped in the stock seat-pegs relationship. I did find out that GenMar made a set of peg lowering brackets if I needed to go to that. I rode the bike, liked it, bought it. I put over 66,000 miles on that bike, and never did have to lower the foot pegs - it was fine. Did some 400 mile days on it too. There's a lot that you can't tell from the showroom floor.

W

·
0 Posts
CharlieNRG said:
So what's wrong with me?
I was disappointed in the seat on the DL650, mind you just trying it at two shows, one time on it for 15 minutes. I am describing the feel with one foot on the peg, one on the floor, or both on the floor.
It felt like my thighs were being spread out to the side instead of dropping down and so the edges of the seat were digging into me.
Height 5'10, wt. 255, inseam 32
What you're experiencing is simply a seat not fitted to you. My DL1000 seat felt the same. Spend the $500 bucks and get yourself a custom seat. A competent saddle maker will carve out the foam at the front of the seat so that you can drop your legs without any obstruction from the seat. You won't believe the difference standing and sitting in the saddle after several hours, as well.

·
0 Posts
At 6'2" I had the opposite problem with my DL650.I bought the tall seat from Suzuki and it's now the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.Suzuki also offers a gel seat and touring seat as well,not sure of their height.This bike offers a surprising amount of seating choices for a new model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts