StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Chris, I am new here and haven't posted yet so this is a quick hello :)

I have been browsing the site a bit and am amazed at the quantity and quality of information regarding my beloved DL650 I found on here already. Thanks to all contributing here, it's a wealth of useful information I'd otherwise never be able to find. In fact I am a bit stunned about all the different pages and it'll take me a while to sit down on a proper computer (browsing on phone for now) to read through all the interesting posts. Maintenance tips, sales, reviews, it's all here, amazing!

So my story.... My first bike, a 08 DL650. I bent the front end in a nasty highway crash that I miraculously walked away from. Normally it'll be a write off but it's my first bike, my baby, and I am determined to fix her back up.
So in the coming months I'll browse the forums, ask silly questions, try to source parts, you name it ;-)
I pretty much destroyed the front fork, left and right are badly bent and I'll have to replace them. Right front brake disc is split and pretty much all front plastic fairings are destroyed ;-) My crash guard prevented further damage and the whole rear end including engine, radiator, oil cooler are intact, so I am hoping to somehow source the damaged parts and replace it all. I have even thought about doing a minimalistic fairing approach, street fighter like if you will, since everything is busted anyway....
On top of that the bike needs a big service if I indeed manage to replace the forks and plastic bits. I'll have to do the valves, chain, sprockets, fit new tires, brake pads.... You name it.

Any help, tips or links would and will be greatly appreciated, I'll of course also sift through all the existing posts and ask relevant questions in the relevant forums. It'll be a fun project and I am kinda looking forward to it.

Thanks to all posters so far for giving me a wealth of knowledge to draw upon and getting me started in the first place :)

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been there on a near new k6 650. Insurance gave me a k7, red. Now with sidecar and need to change front end to reduce trail. Maybe we could talk?

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Brstar, Dauntless motors in Seattle had a fork extender I put on my rig to make sidecaring mo bettah. You might look them up and make inquiries.

Finding used replacement fork bits might be a problem since most of us auger in face first and the forks are the first thing that gets eaten. When I crashed I just messed up easy replaceable stuff. The forks were luckily spared. Did you search fork replacement or exchanges like male slider assys that might work? There is always new stuff at horrible price!:yikes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts