StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished reading an article in the British magazine "Superbike".

The article compared the new Tiger 800XC with the F800GS and the DL650.

I love the commentary referring to the DL650 as being "the top-heavy, slightly uncoordinated fat kid of this particular playgroup".

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I love the commentary referring to the DL650 as being "the top-heavy, slightly uncoordinated fat kid of this particular playgroup".
I knew my traumatic childhood somehow played into my motorcycle selection.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
So they compared the "off road" (21" front wheel) versions of the Triumph and BMW against the Wee? Strange choice and I suspect that if that had compared the 19" front wheel versions of the other two bikes against it the Wee may not have been so discriminated against in the final result.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
No surprise, both the Beemer and Triumph are nicer bikes, with better suspension, brakes, more powerful motors, and generally, more premium machines......but, as noted, not in the same league with respect to $$$, which makes the comparison pretty slanted.

If anything, the Vstrom should just be happy to have been invited to the party, and based on sheer sales figures, it's a formidable player in the general segment so probably deserves the invite.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
I will take a new Tiger please................

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I like how in the pictures, the riders of the triumph and beemer look relaxed, but the dude on the wee is hunched forward like he's trying really hard to go as fast as possible to keep up...
Methinks that was a bit of anti-japanese propaganda.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Something must be wrong with me..I ride the 'wrong' bike and yet it feels fun. What should I do?

Seriously now, that comparison is stupid:
2011 Tiger 800 XC costs $10,999 without ABS MSRP + $800 for ABS.
2011 V-Strom 650 costs $8200 with ABS OTD.
2011 BMW F800GS costs $11,395 without ABS + $900 for ABS.

It is stupid because it compares bikes of different classes, engine volume, intent and price range.

The British automotive reports are heavily biased to their national products - not saying that Tiger is no good, but you can't expect objective opinions from them on British bikes.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It is sort of silly to."test" a new to the market bike , one that has a history of problems , and the DL650. it is all about advertising revenue. I am not willing to part with that much cash on a bike. Maybe when the kids are done with college...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I knew my traumatic childhood somehow played into my motorcycle selection.
Well done, you just made my spit out my coffee with that laugh. Thanks I needed that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well while the comparison is slanted towards the new larger more expensive bikes the piece brought their point of view out very well. Rider on the other hand wrote the piece DL650 VS Tiger. When I was finished reading that piece I wanted to buy a new Wee.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I think they used the ubiquitous 'Strom as a benchmark by which to measure the other two bikes. Everyone interested in this market segment knows the V-Strom and it was used to highlight what you'd be paying extra for in the other two bikes. The fact that a design going on 10 years old would be used as a basis of comparison for the newest whiz-bang bikes should be taken as a compliment.

Now that the gauntlet has been thrown down, I'd like to see how Suzuki responds................. if they respond.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The comparison doesn't bother me. If I had $20k for my Alaska trip in June, I'd have seriously considered the Triumph or the BMW.

That seems like a lot of money so I went for the economical and reliable Wee. *shrug* I spent a lot less money, had lots of money leftover for toys, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the BMW or Triumph more (I enjoy my euro toys), but whether it's worth the price difference is something only the buyer can decide. For me, in this specific circumstance, with the amount of time and money I had, it wasn't worth the cost.

I'm sure if the BMW or Triumph had broken down on me, I'd have regretted going that way. On the other hand, it's also possible the Wee will break down on me too. I consider that to be somewhat less likely, but ya never know.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Of course the best motorcycle is the one betwixt your legs. Ride it, love it, and don't worry about the critics. This bike is no better or worse than when you read the articles and many owners who said it was the best thing since sliced bread. And be happy the industry is making new bikes that you like so that you have something to choose from when you get your next one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love the commentary referring to the DL650 as being "the top-heavy
For me this has always been the #1 feature of the Wee that I liked. It's also the #1 reason that, despite when any new bike come out and I oogle over the photos, I still can't see moving on from the Wee. That "Top Heavy" is that wonderful 5.9 gal tank that'll take you a good 250 miles before you even have to think about petrol.

The Tiger with its 5.0 gal is the first bike in a long time that even comes close. The F800's 4.2 just isn't enough. I got tired of refilling ever other day with my previous bike which was a BMW with a 4.2 gal. Minimum of 250 miles between fill-ups is a must. But none of these "critics" ever seem to take that into consideration.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If the F800GS had had a 5.5 gallon or larger gas tank when it first came out I would have bought one instead of the Wee. The Tiger is nice but won't get me off the Wee.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've heard the tiger gets worse mileage. So, even with the 5 gallon tank it's range will be a good bit less.

The new tiger is about the only bike that really temps me away from my wee right now. But, I won't be shelling out the money. It would be better to upgrade the suspension on my wee and ride the heck out of it. Maybe if I can find a good used one some time I'll consider it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
While I don't really question the decision of the magazine rating the Triumph first (as I really enjoyed my test ride on it); I am always skeptical of anything written in a magazine, paper or newsletter. My first question always follows my first rule of skepticism "follow the money". My second question is always "what is the bias or slant of author or publication" and my last question, "what is the long term result of the stated opinion on income".

In this case:

1. You have a British magazine that is most likely receiving far more revenue from Triumph and European motorcycle manufacturers than from Suzuki. And definitely more targeted advertisements specifically on the Tiger 800 and BMW F800 than on the Suzuki DL650.

2. You have a British rider an author with (most probably) a built in bias towards British Bikes in particular and European Bikes in general, and

3. You have a magazine that is much less likely to lose a significant future income stream by rating a 10 year old, largely unchanged Japanese motorcycle that is recognized "jack of all trades and master of none" against 2 "market focused" motorcycle from large advertisers.

Additionally, although it be my imagination, but it seems whenever a new bike comes out to a lot of fanfare it generally receives good reviews against older bikes which are not heavily advertised. Which causes further skepticism of any ratings.

As stated, I actually loved my test ride on the Tiger 800, and if budget was no issue and the Tiger had been out a couple of years (I don't buy version 1a of anything. be it car, motorcycle, software, or dive equipment etc,) giving it time to "work out the kinks" I would probably buy one. I really do like it.

But, until questions 1 - 3 have been answered to my satisfaction I am always skeptical.

Having said all that, I really do like the feel, power and suspension of the Tiger 800. Once some time has passed and the inevitable weaknesses in the Triumph make themselves known , so I can make an informed judgement as to it's L-T quality, I may very well buy one. Until then however, my "Jack of All Trades and Master of None" WeeStrom will remain with me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The comparison doesn't bother me. If I had $20k for my Alaska trip in June, I'd have seriously considered the Triumph or the BMW.

That seems like a lot of money so I went for the economical and reliable Wee. *shrug* I spent a lot less money, had lots of money leftover for toys, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the BMW or Triumph more (I enjoy my euro toys), but whether it's worth the price difference is something only the buyer can decide. For me, in this specific circumstance, with the amount of time and money I had, it wasn't worth the cost.

I'm sure if the BMW or Triumph had broken down on me, I'd have regretted going that way. On the other hand, it's also possible the Wee will break down on me too. I consider that to be somewhat less likely, but ya never know.
What he said. Also, you note that the article said that the wee went everywhere the others did--just slower. ALL of the tested bikes are too heavy for serious offroading, IMO. The DL650 has been denegrated/praised for years, but like the pink rabbit, they just keep going.......

·
Registered
183 Posts
Something must be wrong with me..I ride the 'wrong' bike and yet it feels fun. What should I do?

Seriously now, that comparison is stupid:
2011 Tiger 800 XC costs $10,999 without ABS MSRP + $800 for ABS.
2011 V-Strom 650 costs $8200 with ABS OTD.
2011 BMW F800GS costs $11,395 without ABS + $900 for ABS.

It is stupid because it compares bikes of different classes, engine volume, intent and price range.

The British automotive reports are heavily biased to their national products - not saying that Tiger is no good, but you can't expect objective opinions from them on British bikes.
I looked at all 3 these bikes before buying the Wee a couple of months ago. In Australia the price differential is much greater, especially here in Perth where there is 1 BMW and only 2 Triumph dealers. The prices I was quoted were as follows:

Wee ABS - Paid $9,990 out the door
Tiger 800 XC with ABS - $17,500
BMW F800 - $20,000

The Wee was a no-brainer, and I love it :hurray:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I am always skeptical of anything written in a magazine, paper or newsletter.
Are you suggesting that the firewall between the editorial and advertizing departments of motorcycle magazines might be made of oily rags?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts