StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbup: I just recently completed the Cam Swap into my DL650 thanks to the help of some capable friends and it is working perfectly as expected,

What I did was install the SV650 Intakes Cam Swap, Gen 2 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Intake Side, and Gen 1 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Exhaust Side, Front and Rear.

With the SV650 Gen 1 it is good for a fast 4- 6 HP and about 3 HP when you do the Gen 1 Intakes on the Exhaust Side of the Gen 2 SV650. It is the same on our DL650's.

I am also running a Power Commander III USB, and the bike Dyno Tuned at a very smooth 75 HP with the M4 Full Exhaust,

Anyone looking for a M4 Map for their DL650 using the M4 Full System can Email me Directly at [email protected] and I will be happy to share it with you,

I will be doing up a Dyno Tuned Map with the Akrapovic Exhaust later this month.

The Cam Swap is not difficult at all. If you search you can find excellent condition used Cams for under $100 a pair, New Cams are not terribly expensive either,

If you can check your valves yourself you can do this swap with no issues at all,

This is probably the easiest and fastest way to get the HP we all want safely that there is,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Thanks for the write up!

I think this is going to be a popular swap for the 2012. On a dyno my stock SV650 made 65hp to 72 for a Gladius with a slip on and PC, so it's going to be a nice little boost without any reliability problems.

·
Registered
541 Posts
:thumbup: I just recently completed the Cam Swap into my DL650 thanks to the help of some capable friends and it is working perfectly as expected,

What I did was install the SV650 Intakes Cam Swap, Gen 2 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Intake Side, and Gen 1 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Exhaust Side, Front and Rear.

With the SV650 Gen 1 it is good for a fast 4- 6 HP and about 3 HP when you do the Gen 1 Intakes on the Exhaust Side of the Gen 2 SV650. It is the same on our DL650's.

I am also running a Power Commander III USB, and the bike Dyno Tuned at a very smooth 75 HP with the M4 Full Exhaust,

Anyone looking for a M4 Map for their DL650 using the M4 Full System can Email me Directly at [email protected] and I will be happy to share it with you,

I will be doing up a Dyno Tuned Map with the Akrapovic Exhaust later this month.

The Cam Swap is not difficult at all. If you search you can find excellent condition used Cams for under $100 a pair, New Cams are not terribly expensive either,

If you can check your valves yourself you can do this swap with no issues at all,

This is probably the easiest and fastest way to get the HP we all want safely that there is,

Blair
Interesting. So, when you say "it is the same on our DL650's", is the biggest bang for the buck coming from the gen 1 intakes swapped in for our exhausts? I'd love to see before and after dyno curves done on days with similar weather conditions, on the same dyno. A 17% gain is tempting, in combination with the new exhaust / map. Even a solid 10% pulls me into that direction with very little resistance...:yesnod:

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thumbup: Hi Ken, You swap out the Front Intake Cams on our DL650, any model year, for the Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cam from any model year, You also Swap out the DL650 Exhaust Cams for the Gen 1 SV650 Intake Cams,

You do both, not just one or the other,

Getting to the 75HP on my bike also included have a M4 Full Exhaust on it as per my post. I will be doing the Dyno on the Akrapovic later this coming month, and I expect the results to be similar,

With the Cams only you can expect a very nice HP bump of 4 - 6 HP,

Blair

·
Registered
302 Posts
Very interesting Blair! Thanks for posting.

What did this mod do to the HP/torque curve? Where is peak HP and torque relative to the stock configuration? Do you mind posting your dyno plots?

-John

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi John, your Peak HP and torque are pretty much where they were on the DL650 prior to the Cam Swap,

You simply get more HP and more Torque, With the PC and Dyno Mapping you also get a smoother bike,

Once I get the Akrapovic mapped out later this coming month I will see if I can't Scan and Post up the Graphs,

Blair

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:hurray: Hi everyone, I got a heads up email from a fellow Stromtrooper suggesting that the DL650 Intake Cams and the SV650 Gen 1, (99-2002) Intake Cams might be the same,

So I did some research and it turns out to be correct; The part numbers are identical That means that everyone wanting to do the Cam Swap and pick up some easy HP just got lucky.

Now all we need to do is move our DL650 Intake Cams to the Exhaust Side and install Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cams to our Intake Sides and easy HP.

If you can adjust your valves you can do this HP upgrade,

You can get the Gen 2 Intake Cams New for about $350 shipped to your door which makes the cost quite affordable,

Anyone interested in getting the Cams and doing the upgrade can Email me Directly at [email protected]

I will be posting up the Dyno Graph once I can get onto the Dyno later this month,

This makes the DL650 even more fun to ride,

Blair

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks Blair. I'd be very curious to see the dyno charts when they're available. If at all possible, it would be very interesting to see the dyno charts for:

stock motor
motor with cam change and stock exhaust
motor with cam change and aftermarket exhaust

I still have to wonder what this mod sacrifices. I'm generally of the opinion that there's a method to the madness with regard to Suzuki engineering, so if they went to the trouble of putting in different cams in the DL and SV motors they must have had something in mind. I'm curious to see what impact this change has on low-end torque and low-RPM driveability (the latter is probably not something a dyno will completely show). A longer exhaust valve duration, coupled with a more free-flowing exhaust, will likely result in a lot less backpressure so I'm speculating that this will hurt low-RPM riding in the dirt, for example. Of course, I don't do that on this bike, so it may or may not be an issue depending on your riding needs.

Thanks again for blazing the trail here! :thumbup:

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, Since we know the cam is the same as Gen 1 SV650 and we know that with the same basic engine Suzuki changed the cams for more HP on Gen 2 SV650 we can safely determine that the cam swap on our DL650 same basic engine again will not have any adverse effect on reliability,

Dyno time is not inexpensive, so since we all know what the stock DL650 is rated at there is no point in dyno running it,

The new map I will be doing is for the cam swap with Akrapovic and M4,

I already have a map for our bikes with the stock exhaust for Power Commander,

Blair

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks for the write up!

I think this is going to be a popular swap for the 2012. On a dyno my stock SV650 made 65hp to 72 for a Gladius with a slip on and PC, so it's going to be a nice little boost without any reliability problems.

Does the SV and te Gladius use different cams? I know the Gladius has a little more power, is this due to cams? Or just because of the new injectors and ECU. Is the 2012 Wee going to use different cams than the Gladius? Or older Wee? It is the Gladius motor right?

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi, Yes the Gladius, the DL650 and the SV650 all have different Intake Cams,

The SV650 are the ones commonly used for the upgrades, I have not heard any reports of the Gladius having more power than the SV Gen 2,

What I do know for sure is that the SV Intake Cam upgrade works great,

As soon as I finish the project I am working on I will find our how much the Dyno says my DL650 now generates with the Intake Cams Swap,

I expect it be a very nice boost, and having run this Swap in the SV650 for 7 years now, I have no dependability issues or concerns,

Blair

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
:hurray: Hi Everyone, I completed the cam swap on the DL650, Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cams in the Front and Rear Intake Positions and DL650 Intake Cams in the Front and Rear Cylinder Exhaust Positions,

If you can manage a Valve Shim Clearance check on your bike you can do this mod by yourself. Takes about a half hour - 45 minutes per cylinder to do.

I then took the bike to a friend with a Factory Pro Dyno and tested it.

Smooth power and torque curve, it dyno'd at 63 HP and 39 lbs of Torque.

These are the results without an aftermarket pipe and without power Commander,

This is easy, simple and reliable power boost on our DL650 bikes.

Next I am going to hook up the Teka and remap the OEM ECU for best performance see if that improves anything,

Right now with the curve the bike is very smooth,

BTW: Factory Pro Dyno results for HP are usually lower than Dyno-Jet by over 10%,

Blair

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
just completed cam swap

Hi all I have a 2009 wee and after a friend of mine pointed me toward this mod I found a used set of 2006 SV intake cams on ebay for 125 bucks shipped to my door. As far as ease of doing it was a smooth job. The hardest part was to figure out how to mark the converted dl intake cam to line up the timing. If you search on svrider you can find very clear photos on remarking the cam timing marks. I took some rough measurements and eyeballed all cams. My rough measuring showed that the stock dl intake cam is about 2mm higher than the factory dl exhaust cam. the profiles seem similar by eye only. I did notice that the sv intake cam was about .5 mm smaller than the stock intake cam but the profile appeared fatter ie more duration. After comparingcams I bet an exhaust system would really wake this engine up. Now for the ride report. I took a 280 mile jaunt through my favorite hilly back roads in southwestern NY and northwestern PA. I noticed that when pulling hills the bike seemed to be smoother and not require a lot more throttle pressure to maintain 65 on hills. I also noticed that the motor continued to pull in 6th gear as I kept trying to upshift into seventh...lol. Before at 65 in the same conditions I could tell I was in high gear but the motor seemed to flatten out. Going from higher speeds to traversing through towns there was less downshifting to get back to speed. Overall I am impressed and at 125 bucks for the base mod It gives some real world benefit that makes the bike a little easier to ride. The fuel economy did not suffer as I still easily hit 55 mpg after the ride. My good friend has an sv650 and was surprised that when we had a little drag race that I was a bit closer this time and he even felt he had a good launch. Thanks for pioneering this mod Blaiir and you will most likely be hearing from me to get a power commander ordered up

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Yeah! What about the Gladius cams?? :confused:

I heard it makes even more HP than the SV.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:) Excellent News, and good work, The Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cams are the way to go. The DL650 and the SV650 Intake cam are the same so just move the DL650 intakes to the exhaust positions,

I love the mod in our bikes, it is a great way to bring the bike to life,

Blair

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah! What about the Gladius cams?? :confused:

I heard it makes even more HP than the SV.
:) Hi, I have not ever heard of the Gladius making more HP than the SV;

If it did I would think that racers would be grabbing write offs and swapping the engine into SV frames and that is not happening anywhere,

Blair

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did this swap also. It's something many have been talking about for years, with a lot of suspicion about it hurting the low end torque. There are dyno results on SVrider.com that show how it improves the torque curve in every place we are using these motors (3000 rpm and up) typically. Don't be afraid to try it. If you can set your valves, you can easily do this. My understanding is that this mod originated on BARF (Bay area riders forum). The pics of the marked-up cams came from that thread (google "barf cam swap" and you should find it). This is proof to me that the "tuned for torque" business is a lot of nonsense. The bike is better all around. My bike needs some tuning as I have removed the exhaust baffles in the Akrapovic and the snorkel in the air box, and installed a K&N. I am in the process of getting a wideband setup to do that (it's really not much more than a good tune from the local experts, and I will be able to keep the tool for future use). Where the fueling is right, it's pulling like a freight train (relatively speaking, as compared to the standard cams). I really think this is the 1 mod to do if you're looking for more performance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
And... one more thing. When you do the mod, swap the front cylinder first, and be sure to rotate it one revolution back to the front mark again and do the rears. This wasn't clear in the thread detailing the swap, and some people have gotten them out of sync. If you end up out of sync, the service manual has a very easy procedure using the marks to get things back in time with the crank, so don't worry too much. I was installing A.P.E. manual tensioners at the same time, and ended up having the chain slip because I hadn't tensioned it before trying to rotate the motor, and it was simple to get everything timed back up again.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts