StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havn't actually gotten on here since actually getting my bike, but I need a hand... After finally having the weather get decent and riding about and finally getting used to the higher centre of gravity the vstrom has over my old little bike... while just pulling forward at a 4-way stop some idiot decided that I didn't exist and he was going to blow straight through. I accelerated fortunately in time to get out of his way, but not well enough to avoid a low-speed tip over, snapping my brake lever (And cracking the turn signal, but I managed to repair that myself..).... It's fortunately still long enough to actually use 4 fingers on it, but it looks ugly, all snapped off there.. Was wondering if anyone could help me find a replacement lever (Or a replacement pair of levers) for less than the oem price of ~$75.. as that's a hell of a cost for a purely cosmetic repair.. and the only other results I have managed to get have been for 2011 and lower year models.. and it is (according to my dealer who tried to help me out) definitely a different part...

Anyways, sorry for the long post, hope someone can help

Cheers,
Jake

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
57300-44G11 is the part number. Your dealer was mistaken. It's the same as the 2011. In fact, plug in that part number at PowersportsPlus.com Search: 57300-44G11 and find a number of Suzukis using that lever. 57300-44G10 is listed for some of those so the number difference is only about the supplier or something not affecting the fit. OEM Parts Suzuki Gladius (SFV650) 2009 HANDLE LEVER - Cheap Cycle Parts shows the part ending in 11 replaced the part ending in 10. The Parts Unlimited replacement lever should fit. Parts Unlimited Replacement Lever - Brake - Kawasaki/Suzuki- is one place to get it.

Edit as of 6/26/2014: 57500-25D00 is listed for the clutch lever and 57300-44G12 for the brake lever now.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Brake lever replacment - procedure

Moving the bike around in the garage I had a "zero speed" tip over. I got it down reasonably gently when it became obvious I wasn't in a position where I could keep it up so only damage was end of brake lever. This is a 2012 adventure so has crash bars. Also has hand gurards on order (but not installed).

I've searched the forum about brake lever replacement and learned that I'm not the only person to break a lever but can't find any information about replaement procedure. I'm hoping that is because all I have to do is remove pivot bolt and slide in the new lever.

Looking at the brake assembly prior to taking anything apart I'm not quite certain what is giving the lever tension to make it want to "spring" to the normal position. Is it just the pressure of the hydraulic piston? Before I slip out the bolt to replace this lever I would like some assurance that it is as simple as it looks and I won't have a dozen parts scatter across the garage floor. I would llike to avoid having a minor problem get worse. I'll also be adding a shop manual to my list of accesories.

·
38,104 Posts
It's as simple as removing the pivot bolt, replacing the lever and putting the bolt back in. A spring inside the master cylinder pushes the lever back but a circlip at the end prevents parts from leaving the area.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's It?

It's as simple as removing the pivot bolt, replacing the lever and putting the bolt back in. A spring inside the master cylinder pushes the lever back but a circlip at the end prevents parts from leaving the area.
Whew, I thought I had to disassemble the master cylinder and all. The service manual seems to imply that the MC assembly has to come off first before removing the lever. I guess it's such a simple process that they didn't want to waste ink.

This thread and reply from GW was helpful for my situation. Thanks, all!

·
38,104 Posts
Grease the pivot. It's a regular maintenance item. not just initially.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just have to say, greywolf, you are a walkin', talkin' service manual without the errors.
Is this just years off accumulated experience on the Strom, or are you neurologically interfaced with some cosmic database?
Kudos on being such a great resource here...
(Don't let that go to your head)...

Sorry for the hijack...

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have found it extremely difficult to find replacement levers at a reasonable price. Some of the links grey wolf listed aren't working for me for some reason. I have found plenty for the 2011 650's but after researching I am still not sure they will fit the 2012+.

·
Registered
561 Posts
57300-44G11 is the part number. Your dealer was mistaken. It's the same as the 2011.

Same part, it is just the part number has changed.

You can use the 2011 and older part, if I am reading Graywolfs reply correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have found it extremely difficult to find replacement levers at a reasonable price. Some of the links grey wolf listed aren't working for me for some reason. I have found plenty for the 2011 650's but after researching I am still not sure they will fit the 2012+.
What's a reasonable price? I did a little searching, a polished clutch lever $7, a nice looking black set L/R handles $ 18 , Aftermarket adjustable black $30

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I ordered from them before for a GSXR and had no issues with them. They were good quality and looked awesome. The fitment chart shows to fit 2011 -2012 so since the 12 and 13 are the same I am guessing the 11's are the same as well. This is what I have been trying to figure out a definitive answer to.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dunno.... but i have a 2013 that is defiantly the same as 2012 and the ones from this site fit correctly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also needed to replace my brake lever 2012 and went to the dealer and order one and it was $88.32. :yikes:

I am all for supporting my local dealership but after I got online and saw you can get the same part for something like $30.00 dollars I was a little shocked. It also sounds like it isn't to hard to replace. Considering just returning the part after it gets in should be here in about 3 to 5 days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts