StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5K miles on a set of replacement drive gears and chain. I went with a 16T on the replacement front. Not OEM parts.
I have the original 15T Suzuki OEM front drive gear I want to put back on. This OEM gear has about the same 5K mileage on it when I took it off.
What do you think? OK to put the used OEM 15T back on?
Yeah I'm that cheap. So what!
No, really I can buy a new gear but I have the old one and I'm in a hurry. Here is a funny story (I think). I called the stealer and talked to the 19 year old service writer. He said not to use the gear because it might break apart and I'd be doomed. I'm not sure of the logic here. If a gear with 5k can't be trusted to hold together, given it may wear in an odd pattern, then I better put a new gear on every 5K to protect myself? Is there some truth to this line?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
When I went back to a 15T from a bad 16T experiment, I put a sprocket with about 9000 miles back in. I examined it carefully and saw no wear so gave it a try. The worst that will happen is it will shorten chain life. It certainly will not break apart.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
:) Hi, At 5000 miles on the steel front counter-shaft sprocket you are good to go at reinstalling it.

Just look carefully at the ends of the teeth and see that they still have a flat end on each tooth, As the sprocket wears those flat tips become pointed and eventually shark fin over if left long enough,

If they have too much wear, replace, If they look good install and check every few thousand miles to see how it is wearing,

By the time it is done with you will be ready to swap out for a new Chain and Sprocket Combination, Somewhere down the road but not now,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
its fine

I have 5K miles on a set of replacement drive gears and chain. I went with a 16T on the replacement front. Not OEM parts.
I have the original 15T Suzuki OEM front drive gear I want to put back on. This OEM gear has about the same 5K mileage on it when I took it off.
What do you think? OK to put the used OEM 15T back on?
Yeah I'm that cheap. So what!
No, really I can buy a new gear but I have the old one and I'm in a hurry. Here is a funny story (I think). I called the stealer and talked to the 19 year old service writer. He said not to use the gear because it might break apart and I'd be doomed. I'm not sure of the logic here. If a gear with 5k can't be trusted to hold together, given it may wear in an odd pattern, then I better put a new gear on every 5K to protect myself? Is there some truth to this line?
I did much the same thing with my EX250, the original 14T had 4000 miles on it, then set on the shelf until the bike clocked 15,000 while I ran with a 15T aftermarket sprocket. Then after the OEM chain got kinked, the OEM sprocket went back on, along with a new chain and a new rear sprocket (the latter was likely not needed).

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
bad 16T experiment?

When I went back to a 15T from a bad 16T experiment, I put a sprocket with about 9000 miles back in. I examined it carefully and saw no wear so gave it a try. The worst that will happen is it will shorten chain life. It certainly will not break apart.
Grey wolf - what did you not like about 16T?

I ask becasue my chain is due for replacement, so I need to consider the front sprocket - which the P.O. switched to a 16T. The 16 T seems fine - but I have no experience with a 15T so I don't know what I am missing.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Hi, The 15t front will give you more roll on throttle access to the power band and really makes the bike easier to ride in the right gear all the time,

The main difference running a 16t front sprocket is that the first two gears especially become much taller and you pull higher speeds in them to reach the power band on the bike. This also makes it easier to lug the engine in lower gears.

The main benefit for 16t is continuous commuting on highway where cruising speed is constant, and for those putting on serious highway miles,

With 16t there is a tendency to need to drop a gear when overtaking or wanting to pick up speed quickly,

Both gearing work, they just require you to adjust your riding style a bit to compensate for each,

BTW: 16 - 47 on our bikes is not substantially different than 15- 44 -45 on the various SV650 models,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts